How to get rolls/cases

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I never dreamed there were that many people roll hunting until I found this site. I was a brief roll hunter 30 years ago as a kid.......mostly pennies. After moving on to other interests for a long time, this past summer I was involved in a accident and lost my leg. Bored and looking for things to do I figured I'd give it another try. The pennies get boring after awhile and after reading all the posts on halves it sounds exciting. After reading alot of the posts, I cant imagine getting a box of halves at the bank. They always look at me like I'm a nut if i ask for some penny rolls. Some on here said they go thru 12-50 boxes a week? I asked my bank today if they had any and not even 1 roll of halves. Asked them to order me a box and the teller said she'd have to ask the manager tomorrow. Called 2 other banks they also claimed to have none. So after I find a source.........where do you dump? I cant even imagine dumping 1 box @ $500.00 let alone 12-50.

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I'm really sorry about your accident. Was it a car accident? I hope you are fully healed and able to move around just as well as before the accident. ;)

We have a great community here, and we welcome you to it! Glad to have you!

As for the coins...

You DO NOT dump the coins at the bank that sold them to you. That is just mean and ignorant. =)

The best method is to find a bank with a coin counter machine. These machines often have bags that can hold $1000 in halves, thus equalling: 2 boxes. You find banks like these and dump there. You use banks that don't have these machines as your pickup banks. Some banks, if knowing you dump a lot of change regularly, will let you just bring in bagged coin and then will verify it later and then credit your account. I am not so lucky...

Banks have different rules and tellers have different moods.

You need to play off of them to determine how much you buy and then dump. Your thirst for the hunt plays another part as well. =)

Hope some of this helps, and once again, WELCOME!

~Dave

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
First of all welcome to the forum and welcome back to one of the best hobbies out there. Now that you have the time on your hands you could really clean up at this hobbie depending on how much money you have to invest in it. I am a hoarder so I go through periods in which all my money is tied up in silver and then I have to wait to build up more money to invest. I am with BB in saying that you need to find a bank that has a coin counter and use that as a dump bank. Then to find the halves you just have to go out and look or call them. If you are a member of the bank you can order boxes a lot of the time which tends to save on gas expenses and time. I think you will love finding silver and it will prove to be addicting for you. Good Luck.

-Golden Silver

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Google coin counter machines in your area that is how I found my dump bank. Just ask your bank to order them for you they can do it but they may not want to do it. Good luck hope you find a super box.

HH
Cat

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum...sorry to hear about your accident..i hope it doesn't get you too down...its best to just keep busy, but it looks like you already know that bein' your here...you found a good site with many helpfull, generous people. Looks like you already got some good advice so I'll just say keep plugin away and the banks and the silver will come....hopefully you have a decent amount of banks nearby...it wont be long before you get a system down and start crankin through those halfs...good luck and feel free to ask all the questions you like...i do ;D

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what part of PA you're in, but eastern PA there are quite a few TD Banknorth(and former Commerce) locations. They all have free 'Penny Arcade' coin machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread