My first shot at CRH

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
To all,
Well, I took the plunge, albeit a small one and got two boxes of pennies ($50) and five rolls of halves ($50). No score in the halves. I am pretty sure someone else searched them as they had a red line on each of the rolls. Most of the halves were 1971 and 1976. Many of the halves had a VII etched to the right of Kennedy's face. Maybe someone is trying to track their coins?!?
The pennies produced 23 wheats:
1929, 1930, 1940, 1944, 1944-S, (3) 1945, (2) 1946, 1946-S, 1950-S, 1951-D, (3) 1952-D, 1954-D, (2) 1956-D, (3) 1957-D, 1958-D. I also found 35 pennies from Canada including a 1955. Anyone know what the good years are for Canada pennies? Also found one penny from the Bahamas.
I chose pennies because I thought it would enable me to find some keepers, even if they aren't very valuable.
One more thing: I found a penny which has the edge crimping like dimes. The crimping only goes about 1/10 of the way around the coin. Any chance it is worth anything?
Thanks for teaching me through your posts.
This was a lot of fun.
Peace,
Turtleman

Upvote 0

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Well congrats on your finds and welcome to this great hobby. I too search thru pennies, not as valuable but very rewarding with all the keepers. 23 Wheats is about average for $50. If the Halves have marking on the rolls they are most likely searched by one of your fellow hunters. I have seen a few on this forum from PA so you guys mught be stepping on each other toes. As for the penny with the readed edge, if you can post a pic it would be the most help. Keep up hunting and enjoy the fun.
Happy Hunting,
Jason

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
yes...unfortunately many people mark thier coins in an effort to track them and make sure they're not re-searching thier own coins...not sure how foolproof the method actually is ...i found alot that mark the coins themselves...imo...this just ruins the coin from anyone pulling it for thier collection
congrats on the wheaties...sounds about average...can you post a pic of the reeded penny?...some members here may be able to help you, but they will need a pic of the coin and the reeding :thumbsup:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
The Marking argument again!!!! Ahhhh! Yeah it is a pet peeve of mine but hey if I find silver then it is gravy. But if you find roll after roll where every coin is marked up and you find nothing of value then it kind of adds insult to injury. It does not take into account those people are collecting non-silvers for books and such. But let us not go further down that road. This was cause for tension a few months ago amongst CRHers. Welcome to the hobbie and Good Luck.

-Golden Silver

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
I will try to post a picture of the reeded penny when I get home. Thanks for the encouragement and comments.
T-Man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread