How to hide things from a state of the art metal detector

tittiger

Oct 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that is has not been discussed at length in the past, if so I apologize, and would
appreciate being directed to that thread.

I am coming here with a slightly different angle.... I want to learn how to best hide things from thieves
that may have a state of the art metal detector. Things such as silver coins, and firearms. In the ground and
perhaps even hidden in a structure.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid rock usually works best for most. True measure of any detector is how many inches of rock it can detect through. But if you check out OKM you will see just one brand that wouldn't have much problem in any environment.

OP
OP
T

tittiger

Oct 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would concrete work instead of rock?

I am also wondering if any local shops would rent a good detector so that I could do some actual testing....

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your only options for hiding something from an experienced detectorists are secrecy, location and depth. Masking works to a limited degree as well and can be done with large and fine metal objects scattered over a large volume or the use of heavy vegetation on a blended landscape. A thought for the nefarious minded.

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could always throw some of your trash finds several inches from what your trying to hide, and try to make them think its just a trash hit.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one, with any good sense, would even attempt to try and metal detect inside a structure. I'm talking with metal studs, nails, wiring, junction boxes/electrical outlets. No detector is going to detect through household/building/construction junk, to tell you there is gold/platinum/slver, mixed in with it.

If you're trying to hide a hoard, research for books, that tell you how to modify things in/around your home, for secure concealment. I borrowed a book from a friend, long time ago, "rip this book off", "steal this book", something like that. It gave all kind of great ideas on concealment, inside walls, doors, etc..... (sorry I can't remember exact name of book).
Dig a deep, straight round hole, attached rope, lower goods down, cover. If it's deep enough, nothing will catch it, but you need to be sure your rope don't rot, or you forget where you dug/buried stuffs. For now, I'm sticking with bank safe deposit boxes and ..........
I had a client once, her dad had buried paper cash, when they dig it up yrs later, most of it had rotted. Stupid man always blamed the wife, for the ground rotting his cash, lol. :BangHead: :laughing7:

Never seen many hood thieves with state of the art metal detectors though. :icon_scratch:
Their usual tools of the trade are hammer or crowbar, if not, just a gun. :dontknow:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
"Steal This Book" was written by Abbie Hoffman in 1971.

Not that I would know anything about the counter-culture.....

Now, in my pile of moving boxes accumulated for over 35 years stashed in my attic - there should be a copy.....

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toss a bunch of pull tabs and rusty nails in the ground around the object that you want to hide. They seem to do a good job hiding silver coins!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Deep, sorry, that's not it. There's too much dribble in that one...... Good to see you, I been thinkin of ya.
The one I had, showed actual schematics(?), plans, dimensions, PROJECTS, that's the word...... lol.
Projects, plans, pictures, tips, tricks, techniques, things that actually help. lol.
Maybe it was called, "how to hide anything" or "hide things in plain sight", or something like that. LOL.

I know someone, uses their gold chains, as fan pull/light chains. They've been hanging so many yrs, got dusty,tarnished, no one would ever stop to think, they are 14k. She will wash them, but not clean and polish them, don't want to take the tarnish off, lol. Sometimes, something hidden in plain sight, is often overlooked.......

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to learn how to best hide things from thieves
that may have a state of the art metal detector. Things such as silver coins, and firearms. In the ground and
perhaps even hidden in a structure.

Thanks in advance for your help!

No. 1 - Bury them under the rottweiler's doghouse.

B - Bury them five or six feet deep and under an old, rusty metal spring mattress.

III - Bury them under a 1975 Ford Pinto up on blocks.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..I didnt know there were Gangs of Metal Detecorist out there stealing stuff from people...Was your Post supposed to be humorous? Also, whats up with that name..lol ..maybe im just reading it wrong.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would concrete work instead of rock?

I am also wondering if any local shops would rent a good detector so that I could do some actual testing....

It would have to be pretty thick, My ATP can go thru 4" of asphalt and hit a dime.....done it

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me depth, and masking. Shotgun BB's scattered around the site would drive anyone with a detector crazy. The more the better. Better know for sure where you buried your hoard because you won't be able to find it either. Maybe even burying a decoy. Easier to find, but something a searcher would like but not the real stash.

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not one of those people burying bug out containers on the way to their secret cargo container to escape FEMA camps are you?

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of iron and aluminum scrap to mask the signal and broken glass to discourage digging.i would burn my garbage for a week our two being sure to throw in modern nails,screws, and aluminum cans and other metals. might as well break up and burn the glass also.dont know the size of what your burying but digging until the top of your container is down 2 feet is good enough.put stach in hole cover with small amount of clean dirt. next start filling hole with burned stuff mixed with dirt.pack it doem as you go ,adding enough cement to make this mix hard might be a good idea.as you reach the top of the hole start spreading the burned material over a wider and wider area until you have covered a spot MUCH larger than the origanl hole.finish up by replacing the grass/leaves/rocks so that it appears undisturbed ,and then take a jar of 1000 copper BB's and scatter them about the area.good luck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing that may work first your Cache,

then a Layer of Rusted Tin Cans a foot above

and then Thousands of Thumb Tacks or lead BB's a foot above that.

and as already said , thick Concrete to make recovery Very loud & time consuming

as a Last resort, 1000 Slaves to dig a hole with Layers of wood every so often
and Magical Miners to dig Tunnels to the Oceans to create Boobie Traps
long before everyone dies & forgets what they are doing & why :tongue3:

Last edited:

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a house or structure with a steel reinforced concrete foundation then a little tunneling under the foundation should provide a safe repository for a cache. A section of large diameter PVC pipe and end plugs make a perfect waterproof container to stuff under the foundation. The steel reinforcing in the slab will drive a detector crazy and if you place it in the vicinity of underground utilities the cache will be further masked and detectorists generally don't like digging around utility services. Finally, plant a rose or cactus garden above your cache.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread