How to list Native American jewelry?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This question is mainly in regard to listing pieces that are not signed and possibly without sterling marks.

I believe I had read before (I think here) that if a piece is unsigned you can list it as something vague like "southwestern style". I have some pieces that I believe are Navajo, but do not know if there is a way to verify (or if there is anyway to list it as such). Some pieces have no marks (not signed & no sterling mark) while one ring is stamped sterling (perhaps a makers mark?). All of the pieces acid test as sterling.

My question is: is it allowed to mention/list pieces as "Navajo? jewelry" or should that not even be mentioned if it is unsigned? If it is not allowed, what are the "safe" alternative words to use to describe the item?

Thanks for your assistance.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe that he piece has to be signed to use a tribal name or native american. I sold a Mary S Lew bracelet and when listing the prohibitions came up.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they actively remove much. I think ebay just waits for someone selling a similar item that makes more money for ebay to report you. But I would list it however I wanted and if it gets pulled you just relist differently later. In all other categories people name check items that arent the actual item. I could spend an entire week reporting people. Maybe other sellers are just more aggressive in that category.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they actively remove much. I think ebay just waits for someone selling a similar item that makes more money for ebay to report you. But I would list it however I wanted and if it gets pulled you just relist differently later. In all other categories people name check items that arent the actual item. I could spend an entire week reporting people. Maybe other sellers are just more aggressive in that category.

Interesting. Perhaps I'll give it a shot... couldn't hurt more than a warning the first time, right? Already listed a piece "carefully" not mentioning it Native American or Navajo once. Just "southwest style" and "can't be sure of origin as it is not signed".

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Perhaps I'll give it a shot... couldn't hurt more than a warning the first time, right? Already listed a piece "carefully" not mentioning it Native American or Navajo once. Just "southwest style" and "can't be sure of origin as it is not signed".
I have several reference books on Southwestern and Native American jewelry and Hallmarks. If you need help with any marks or styles of jewelry, let me know. I'll do what I can for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread