How to MD old gravel parking lot?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sledge, chisel, and wrecking bar. Some get awfully hard packed over the years and is easier to get through asphault. ;)

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Hard packed gravel can be just as bad as asphalt, LOL. you may want to bring small hammer and chisel just to break the surface, good luck and HH.

kenb

D

doyboy

Your wasting your time. It would be too much work, plus "happy cuts and scrapes" on your knees. There are better areas out there that are not gravelled over.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Hand Pic

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
I think it all depends on how thick the layer of gravel is. I go to a place that was an amusement park from the 1920"s-1950's. Today it's used for other things but it still has the old dirt and gravel mix parking lot. That's probably what you have under the gravel. It's really hard packed when it's dry. However, after a good rain, it really softens up where the dirt is mixed in. I would try going after a good rain which would make the dirt easier to dig in. See how deep the layer of gravel is. If there's not too much gravel on top, you may be able to push the gravel to the side with a shovel first to get down to the dirt. If there's a thick layer of gravel, it probably isn't worth it.

Glenn

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing to Remember.

Coins that are shallow will be destroyed by the Constant Gravel
Action.

Only the ones Below the Gravel Level will be in Good shape.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've had pretty good luck in gravel parking lots, cwe. It is true the higher up coins can often be damaged. Old tavern parking lot=you bet, go for it :D

I follow only two rules.

Rule 1: Wait till it is very rainsoaked.

Rule 2. See Rule 1.

DFIU
aka Dick from IA

G

gossunc

Did this once (actually was a gravel driveway at a beach camp) and found quite few cents on the surface and a toll token...nothing at all deep. Driveway was fairly compacted and I wouldn't have done anything more than scraped the surface if it wasn't on top. I bet you'll find a bit on top. Good luck.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I did that at an old bar for about an hour and a half one day, came to the conclusion that there has been a lot of layers of gravel put down over the years. My advice would now be go to the edge of the gravel driveway and work your way AWAY from it. ;D

jeremiah212

Jan 23, 2005
kahnawake, Quebec Canada
i did a gravel parking lot once..worked it for 4-5 hours.. everything i pulled out was soooo damaged.

found my first buff in there, it was so scratched bent and knicked, it was nearly impossible to make out..same went for eveything else i found there.

stud564

Jun 7, 2006
algona, iowa
i pulled out my first quater under three inches of packed gravel with a trowel I had to chop at and finaly got to it and it is so bent and out of shape.

Erik

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
doyboy said:
Your wasting your time. It would be too much work, plus "happy cuts and scrapes" on your knees. There are better areas out there that are not gravelled over.

Thats what I wish everyone would think!

Yeah, most graveled parking lots would not be very good, but I just dug up a key date Indianhead that was under a 3" layer of gravel under a sidewalk.
One of my best days ever for silver was at an old outdoor theater. Under the gravel in black dirt is where all the coins were.

I also detected a country church parking lot that was all gravel. That was the only place in the entire church yard where there were any coins left, And, they were all old ones. I suspect that was what all the other detectorists figured too.

Another area that was good for silver was an old baseball infield that was all pea gravel, but the gravel was only about 2" deep. All the coins were below the gravel in the black dirt.

Don't overlook graveled areas.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had some luck in gravel parking lots using one of those 4 prong scratcher type garden implements. They seem to seperate the gravel better than a solid instrument. It is tough work though, but if you have the stamina it could pay off. Monty

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Don't forget knee pads

and one other thing

DON"T FORGET KNEEPADS

Final note to self

Don't Forget Knee pads

I worked an old Dance Lodge on memorial day - I forgot Knee pads - just now getting over it

OP
OP
C

cwe

Waiting and waiting for rain...will let you know
what is under the gravel.
cwe ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread