spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking your way out of a speeding ticket will not only save you a fine, but points on your license and possibly a higher insurance premium. So here is my little tip to you, based on an actual event...

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: No sir
Officer: Well I clocked you doing 60mph in a 40mph zone.
Me: Sorry officer, I don't intend driving that long :tongue3:

The officer was stunned by my reply, but I quickly went on to tactics I have read about.

Actually there is a great little book you should read that is full of common sense if you are dealing with this type of situation. The book is:

A Speeder's guide to avoiding tickets, by Sgt James M. Egan N.Y.S.P. (RET.)

ZJBarney

Jun 22, 2010
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Cutlass 2 umax
Don't speed ;D

It does blow my mind how people always seem to be in a hurry to get to work in the morning though. :icon_scratch:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
where the heck were you LAST week???? Yep, got a ticket:( First one, ever.

I've decided to go to court...I wonder what are the odds of the officer not showing up? I've heard if they're a no-show, I walk away a free woman.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
spartacus53 said:
Actually there is a great little book you should read that is full of common sense if you are dealing with this type of situation. The book is:

A Speeder's guide to avoiding tickets, by Sgt James M. Egan N.Y.S.P. (RET.)

With speeding ticket avoidance books and advice available for sale, don't you think the cops would eventually buy the books, too? Cops seem to run their ops much like the military- their intel guys would have already distributed a briefing to the force about the latest books/tactics being employed to avoid speeding tickets. Or maybe the police force is really that dumb? I doubt it. I say don't bother with buying these type of books, and save your money to help pay your ticket!

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
vibes said:

I've decided to go to court...I wonder what are the odds of the officer not showing up? I've heard if they're a no-show, I walk away a free woman.

Okay, I can't pass-up this opportunity to give you a little gas, vibes! Maybe you should have purchased a Valentine One radar detector! I'm just sayin'.....

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Arizona Bob said:
vibes said:

Okay, I can't pass-up this opportunity to give you a little gas, vibes! Maybe you should have purchased a Valentine One radar detector! I'm just sayin'.....

Oh thanks for the reminder...Hubby got his radar detector yesterday, as it was his Birthday. Yep, we're a day apart. I got him the fancy Cobra...so wasn't available to me last week:(

and A-Bob...I can take it...I've got my big girl undies on today!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What has worked for me in the Past.

Before he even opened his Mouth,
Cards in my Hand Sticking out the Window

Speeding.

"Oh Man !!! I Wish I Would have seen you there :tongue3:"

no Ticket

Passing a Line of Cars, Over the speed Limit,
With the Cop near the front causing everyone to
Slow Down Rediculosly Slow.

Cop Something like " What was that about ? "
or colse to it, Don't remember.

Me something like " Just because you were in line,
Was I supposed to be Afraid ? "

He shok his head While Chuckling & Walked back
to his Car & Left :tongue3:

in Road stops, DUI Checks, Etc.
Most of the time I Just talk their ears off
& They seem to wanna get away from me ;D

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
When I was delivering for Domino's pizza I got stopped on the way home from work (with a pizza) after bs'ing a bit I took out a slice and started eating it, offered him one and just got a warning...true story. I guess I got away with bribing an officer :dontknow:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I got pulled over for speeding here's how it went:
Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Yes, I was speeding.
Officer: That's correct. Can I see your license? (I give them to him.)
Me: Hey look, give me a break. I mean, I gave you one.
Officer: How's that?
Me: I stopped.
The officer shrugged his shoulders and laughed and I just got a warning.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I got pulled over a few years back & tried talkin my way out of it.............he kicked me in the ribs repeatedly & beat me severely with his stick. After a quick visit to the hospital then about a week in the county jail I was allowed to go home to heal. My left arm works almost as well as it used to. :icon_thumleft: Ive learned a very valuable lesson & now keep my mouth shut when dealing with law enforcement officers. :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Mighty AP said:
I got pulled over a few years back & tried talkin my way out of it.............he kicked me in the ribs repeatedly & beat me severely with his stick. After a quick visit to the hospital then about a week in the county jail I was allowed to go home to heal. My left arm works almost as well as it used to. :icon_thumleft: Ive learned a very valuable lesson & now keep my mouth shut when dealing with law enforcement officers. :laughing7:
Saw a cartoon years back of a cop nightstickin the bejesus out of a guy along the highway .
The caption was ,"And the next time you wave at me ; I better see all them fingers !!!".............
Was that you ? :laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about that. I could right an entire book about getting out of a speeding ticket. It would be 'Obey the speed limit'. That's about it. We generally wrote at 10 miles an hour over. We didn't have a quota; we could write as many tickets as we wanted. As to DUI, or DWI, you were done for. I let one go. I stopped him about a block from his house, asked him how much he had to drink. (Usually you hear '2 beers' officer) He told me 'About 24 or 26, sir.' I loaded him up and took him home for being the first honest drunk I ever stopped. Never had contact with him again, either. (They don't tell you this, but officers have discretion)

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
After cop pulls over a car for speeding:

Office: We have been waiting all day for you.

Driver: I got here as fast as I could.

Funny how you remember silly things, isn't it?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
traderoftreasure said:
i always say "sorry officer i didn't mean any dissrespect to you or your county" and it usually works

"But Osifer, how drunk you call me There ? " :occasion16:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the one who told me he had been drinking and when I told him was under arrest and would have to take a breathalyzer test said "Why, you don't believe me that I'm drunk?" I remember the one who unbuttoned her blouse down to her navel too. Gave me something to look at while I wrote the ticket. The disrespect thing wouldn't have worked with me, because you weren't offending me, you were violating the law. Courtesy and politeness and soberness do go a long way, sometimes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found I get out of more tickets just being respectful and polite to the officers. I apologize, tell them I'm sorry, that I didn't realize my speed had crept up that high, and that I appreciate the hard job they have to do, and if I get the ticket, I get the ticket. Most of the officers appreciate being treated with respect and many times let you go with a warning....

They have a dangerous job to do, two officers were gunned down and killed this week in Tampa on a traffic stop, both shot in the head as they approached the car....

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
When they turn on their lights it means they want to race.
Used to have two switches under dash.
1 would turn off tailights.
2 would turn off brake lights.

Doing 80 MPH and locking them up, making a turn with no brake lights showing and they cannot make the turn. Gives you another few min. to get hid.
Also borrowed plates makes a difference.
Can't outrun a Motorola radio - 186k miles per second.

(Name omitted to hide the guilty)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Greydigger. You might outrun my Chevrolet but you can't outrun my 2-way. I could do that bootlegger turn too. We locked up the emergency brake and cut the wheel hard. I don't think cars today can do that. It was fun to race, but in a small town we always knew who you were so we would just drive to your house and wait for you to get there. Also, we never had a quota. We could write as many tickets as we wanted.

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I haven't been pulled over in ten years or so now (knock on wood), but I learned way back when that if I get pulled over, I punch the buttons and roll all of the windows down so that the officer can see everything in the vehicle at a glance. I hand them my drivers license stacked under my carry permit, with the glove box open so they can see the firearm. Showing them the firearm and carry permit earns a sense of trust from the officer, that you have nothing to hide, and rolling the windows down usually makes them say something like "thanks for making this easy on me." My response is something like "I've responded to so many events you guys have to handle, that I'm just familiar with the routine". That leads into a conversation where I reveal that I'm a first responder who scrapes up accident victims, so I get my stack back and go on my merry way with a thank you, a tip of the hat, and a verbal warning to keep the speed down.

A radar detector will get you a ticket every time if you do end up getting pulled over for speeding and they see it in the car. It's a guaranteed ticket, because they know you're trying to avoid them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread