How to use found foreign coins to buy a silver 1oz?

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
The Canadian is worth marginally more than US, and trades at parity to the USD near the border in many areas. If you find yourself in Canada, you can just buy an ounce of AG.

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
ArkieBassMan said:

Their rates seem remarkably low. The Australian dollar is pretty much 1:1 right now yet they'll only give you .40-.50 on the dollar. I think you'd do better with a currency exchanger at an airport if you're fine with fees.

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
You could check out Commonwealth Coin & Currency. I have not used the service but it is owned by one of the members over at realcent.org. His username over there is AGgressive Metal. Log into realcent.org and check out the sticky (top post) in the Wanted to Buy section. His December rates are listed there. I believe he only exchanges for currently (not debased) circulating world coins. Hope this helps.

Jeff
cecropia_moth

Edit -- I just checked over there and he is at $0.70 per Australia $ and $0.80 per Canada $. He also accepts banknotes and Cu and Ni bullion coins.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area, certain branches of local banks will exchange Canadian currency. Ask around - the tellers will be able to tell you if they have a branch that will do it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local_coins said:
local banks will exchange Canadian currency. Ask around - the tellers will be able to tell you if they have a branch that will do it.
One of my local banks will sell my Yen ans two will exchange Yen for $$, but that is paper money. No bank I know will accept foreign coins.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I once gave the head teller a Canadian quarter as partial payment for a some loose halves...you should have heard the SHTF!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread