HOW TO:

Dec 24, 2006
Hi, if your coins are just common clad and cents, a simple way to remove the gunk is by good old salt and vinegar! Take a flat plate and pour vinegar and sprinkle some salt heavily into the vinegar . Lay the coins on top of the salt and vinegar mix. Add more salt on top of the coins, soak for a couple of hours, rub with baking soda to neutralize. The clad will come out very clean but dull. To shine run them through a coin tumbler after that with some simple green and some very fine or coarse sand and they should clean up real fine. You might find tumbling the coins in simple green(cleaner sold in hardwares) in a roto tumbler with no sand or grit just the coins themselves working against themselves shines them up nicely. Heavily corroded silver coins may be carefully Electro-cleaned , a very effective method. But that takes time, so if theyre just common silver they may not be worth all the effort. Again rubbing with baking soda after cleaning will bring some life back to a lot of coins. Now heres one you never want to do unless you know the coins worthless. Coin collectors don't read this as youll all want to say what a bad , bad idea this is. Take some 600 grit fine emery cloth and some wd 40. Lightly sand the coinlubricating heavily with wd 40 or light oil.This will to remove the heavy corrosion.Goeasy a little at a time and wipe your coin with a cloth as you sand it down to metal. Believe it or not I have done this on some heavily corroded spanish silver and have come out with impressive results! I have made very saleable specimens from beach coins you would toss out as junk! Experiment on some junk silver coins before doing anything at all with your nice beach silver. Once you get the knack you will be enjoying a nice looking display of silver. Another method is a rock tumbler with ammonia and coarse sand works well. Good Luck!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
A Hammer comes to mind! :violent1: :violent1: LOL!

The vinegar always seems to work well, just dont let it sit too long and forget they are in there! :tongue3: :tongue3:

Dec 24, 2006
Is that to knock off the encrustations off the 100's of years on the coins and relics ! :)? Hey, now, don't knock it till you try it...or at least try it before taking a hammer to it, that could ruin a good coin ya know!

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008
Re: HOW TO:Clean Clad Fast.!

In a hurry? No old coins in pile right? you checked? O.K. just clad.. well this is a quick fix for just clad coin fast clean up.

Use a gator aid plastic jar, or big water jar. 1/2 gallon biggest. Put coins into jar.. add ammonia , 1/2 cup to full cup. Toss mixture back and :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:forth for about 20- mins to half an hour.
Is noisy, butt most coins come clean. Rinse very well.Be careful , lose no coins in sink...lol.. Hope this helps. M :thumbsup:

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Re: HOW TO:Clean Clad Fast.!

Maui Mike said:
.......Toss mixture back and :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:forth for about 20- mins to half an hour.
Is noisy, butt most coins come clean. Rinse very well.Be careful , lose no coins in sink...lol.. Hope this helps. M :thumbsup:

Sh!t, I think I would be tired after the first 5 minutes! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very simple tumbler from harbor freight sit and have your coffee and three hours later clean coins.

OP
OP
P

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
I think Im gonna go with FloridaBills Recommendation! I kinda like that Idea, and no, no old coins all newer ones. :thumbsup:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beginning to become a frequent shopper at harbor freight. tumbler, pinpointer, drop cloth, diggers, screw drivers, knee pads, tool belts. I thought this was Metal detecting forum :icon_scratch:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely the easiest way is how Floridabill recommended. I bought the double tumbler with a coupon for harbor freights for around $15 while they were on sale.

I put some dish soap and gravel in with the coins. Someone before warned about separating the nickels out. After a couple hours everything looks almost new.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread