Howdy All!

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been on TNet for awhile but have never posted on The Barracks (because I just recently discovered that it was on here...d'oh!).....so I'll introduce myself again just for G.P.

IZ Trip 019.jpg
Me out at the International Zone in Baghdad, 2008

My name's Tom and I live in West Michigan, and for the most part I detect there too. I served on active duty in the Marine Corps from 22 April, 1983 to 11 September, 1996. I was in Aviation and spent most of my time on the West Coast and Iwakuni, Japan and also went to Saudi Arabia in 1990-91 as part of Operation Desert Shield / Desert Storm. From 1993 to 1996 I was stationed at Ft Huachuca, AZ where I served as an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) flight instructor. I have recently submitted a resume to return to Huachuca as a civilian instructor. There's 4 vacancies so hopefully I'll get one of them!

In 1996, My Commander-In-Chief at the time, Slick Willie, decided that there were too many people who were dedicated to serving their country and I wound up being let go as part of his force reductions. So against my will I became a slimy civilian, returned to Michigan, and got a job as a technician with Howmet Castings, which produces precision alloy castings primarily for the aerospace industry mainly engine turbine components and airframe structural parts.

In 1997 I decided that I didn't want that 13+ years spent in the Corps to go to waste so I joined the Michigan Army National Guard as an Engineer NCO with the 1436th Engineer Co located in Montague, MI. I deployed to Iraq with the 1436th and spent most of 2005 working out of LSA Anaconda near Balad, about 45 miles NW of Baghdad but was there very little since my platoon was tasked out to various projects at outlying FOBs. In 2007 I again volunteered to deploy and went to Iraq again with the 177th Military Police Brigade and served at Camp Victory in Baghdad as the Brigade Engineer NCOIC in support of the 177th's Detainee Operations Mission.

I currently am a Platoon Sergeant with the 1433rd Engineer Company (SAPPER) located at FT Custer near Battle Creek, MI. In January I submitted my retirement papers and am waiting for them to be finalized so I can go out to pasture for good after almost 25 years of combined Federal and Reserve Service.

I've been married for 20 years and have 4 children, one of whom is also in the Army. He was Air Defense in FT Sill until recently as he has just been picked up by Space Command. He's at school right now at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs. After that he's going to Stuttgart for 2 years then when he comes back to the US they are going to stick him in "The Mountain" (NORAD). They are also pushing him pretty hard to go Warrant Officer...and so am I. I'm pretty proud of how he's turning out and that he loves what he does (because he was quite an insufferable little s***head in the couple years up to deciding to become part of something bigger than himself). I have an 18-year old daughter who is the only one still at home and she's attending cosmetology training for her license. My two oldest kids have me a grandpa at 43 with 4 grandchildren between them, 3 girls and a boy.

Besides detecting I also enjoy hunting, fishing, working on our Mustangs (his-n-hers 1989 LX Ragtops), snowmobiling, reading, geocaching, and model building.

Anyways....that's me in a nutshell for those who don't already know me (and those who already do know me just learned WAY more about me)

Semper Fi,

ESSAYONS,

and, most importantly, Happy Hunting!

-SgtSki in MI

Anyways.....That's me in a nutshell

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Now that you are retiring, you'll be able to spend more time treasure hun... with the grandkids! Thank you for your service. :thumbsup:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
A big thank you for all you have done & all your family had to give up. My Pop was a marine, does that make me a half pint?
Hope to see you finding lots of treasure!

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, when you finally retire don't try to do everything that first week. You've earned a long, slow retirement. Good Luck.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your retirement and good luck. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions