Huge knife thingy?

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this a few days ago. Had my husband pry it out of the creek bed for me then decided not to take. Went back today, decided I'd take it home. Measures about 14" long, 2 1/2" high, 2" wide. Not chert, not limestone. Serrated on the edge, but not showing up to well in pix. Think it's and artifact or just a freak of nature? I'll try to take some better pix tomorrow to show the edge.

IMG_8797.JPG IMG_8798.JPG IMG_8799.JPG IMG_8800.JPG IMG_8802.JPG

Upvote 0

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!
If there are marks along the side/edge it it possible that it was used to straighten shafts and bows. But its hard to tell from the pics.... It could be a farming tool too. Like a shovel or hoe.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a believer in very old tools stone itself in my opinion has been worked on the edge could of been a old preform or a very old tool that's worn over time . The nicks maybe natural on edge but it looks as if it was ground to an edge it's all the same color so it would of happened at the same time witch would point away from afr but try getting it wet and taking a pic or while examining it ....I would of picked it up lol

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say artifact way more than 5 in a series same color take it to an expert my friend and see what they say ;))

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a hard call for me cause I dont know the type of stone. I have seen some that looked worked but end up being natural so Im not sure.
Last week when I did a creek hunt I thought I saw a statue in the creek and pulled it out. It had grooves all the way down that looked interesting. I set it on the bank and came back later after it had dried and then I could see it was just a Geofact. It even had a flat spot on the side that it could of sat up rite. Im kinda glad cause it was heavy. I left it in a good spot so it wont wash away.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tennessee And you ? Rock has a point but if you have access to a pro you trust swing by you'll see nice pieces and learn at same time ;)

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!
Texas but I was asking what state this possible artifact was found. My husband looked he seems to think its broken and its a large tool of some sort. He went to collage for archology so hes probally close to right.

OP
OP
hbrown22

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in north Middle Tennessee. This was underwater. I dug as much as I could from around it, but could pry it with my digger. My arm was to short to try to get it with my hands (I would have been underwater if I tried), so my husband dug it the rest of the way out. Afterwards I decided to leave it, but then we went back this afternoon and I decided to bring it home. I really don't know what kind of material it is. Hoping my geology course this term will help me identify the rocks in our area. It's not brittle and doesn't have the waxy look like chert or jasper. This is more gritty.

I've pulled stuff that looked like something then when I get home to further inspect I don't remember why I picked it up in the first place. Lots of rocks around my pool (toss pile!) :)

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!
We have some material that looks the same around here. It is commonly use for nutting stones in our area. Thats why we think you might have something. Native Americans used everything they could and wasted nothing, so you never know. Better to pick it up and it not be something that to leave it and regret it later.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have some material that looks the same around here. It is commonly use for nutting stones in our area. Thats why we think you might have something. Native Americans used everything they could and wasted nothing, so you never know. Better to pick it up and it not be something that to leave it and regret it later.

I agree here lol I got those piles around my house

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The marks are interesting.. but it's clearly been broken off of something larger long after the marks on the other side were created... evident by the sharp change in the patina.
Maybe some type of fossilized impression in sedimentary rock. It sure is interesting But I don't think it's an artifact.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions