Mississippian Period mounds

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing I found, but a cool place we went canoeing today. You can't see the mounds when your in the canoe, but afterwards we hiked up to Mace Bluff and looked at the petroglyph and the view of the mounds across the river. Below are a few links, first one is about the petroglyph, second is about the mounds.

Scepter petroglyph on rock ledge. Points to the mounds across the river.

101_0733.JPG 101_0734.JPG

The big mound to the right, Harpeth River below. You can barely make out the other mounds.

101_0742.JPG 101_0738.JPG 101_0735.JPG 101_0736.JPG

http://www.tn.gov/environment/tn_consv/archive/moundbottom.pdf

NATIVE HISTORY ASSOCIATION - Mound Bottom

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a view. You hiked all the way up to the top from the river below? Im shocked your canoe was still there when you back down. Did you find any stone treasure?

OP
OP
hbrown22

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
We actually rented a canoe so we wouldn't mess ours up and they provide drop-off/pick-up. We did 9 river miles, stopped at a few rocks banks along the way. We were caught in a storm, so we were just trying to get down the river. I did find some small worked tools, an indians guitar pick (piece of shale or slate), a petrified indian finger, and cool rocks. Our 8 year old was with us, so I can come up with all kinds of stories although she's starting to not buy them, lol.

IMG_8794.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got some nice examples in that mix.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got your exercise for the day, but on the other hand it sounds like you had a fun time. Thanks for sharing! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread