Huge Score from My Uncle

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
So, here's the story. My uncle is an avid coin collector and about 4 years ago his house burned down, along with most of his collection. He kept all his clad and silver and everything in 5 gallon buckets and you can imagine the mess that fire did to everything. He ended up scooping the coins up with a shovel and just throwing them together. Well, he called me up last night and told me he finally got around to cleaning everything and putting it all through a tumbler and I was thinking, "Oh crap" why did he put them through the tumbler, his defense was that you literally couldn't read any of the coins and tell any detail. Anyway, he said I could come by and pick out whatever I wanted and for the silver he'd give it to me at 10x face value plus I could have any wheats, nickels, and so on for free, so I was over there in a heartbeat.

I brought the entire collection home and spent almost all of last night looking through it. Most of them have relatively little fire damage, the only problem I have with them is that they were cleaned, however a lot of the silver has not been cleaned because the fire did no damage to it.

Here's what I've put into my keepers pile so far:
• About 100 foreign coins, handful of silvers from Canada and Sweden.
• 1882 CC Morgan (Fire Damage, probably lower grade)
• 1921 Morgan
• 1923 Peace Dollar
• 13 Silver Eagles and other 1oz silver coins (.9999 Fine Silver)
• 1871 Shield Nickel
• 1883 without cents and 1906 V Nickels
• 5 Silver War Nickels
• About 30 Dateless Buffaloes
• About 30 Pre-1942 Jeffersons
• 64 Silver Washingtons
• 14 40% Halves
• 37 90% Halves
• 220 90% Silver Dimes, about 70% are Mercury Dimes
• Several Tokens, including a 1933 Chicago World’s Fair Token
He also gave me about 10 pounds of pre-1982 pennies and told me to look through them. I first separated all of the wheats from the non-wheats and then went looking for key dates. Here’s what I found:
• 1931-S (No damage but was cleaned, has VF-20 Details) ;D
• 1909-VDB
• 1911-D
• 1912-D
• 2 x 1922-D
• 1924-D
• 1926-S
• About 75 other pre-1940 wheaties.

Okay, here’s the heart breaker. He told me that he had 4 1909-SVDB wheat pennies in plastic holders with the rest of the wheat pennies. I didn’t find a single one of them but he did give me a jar of the pennies that are still stuck and welded together from the fire. So, either he didn’t collect them from the ashes, which is very possible, or else they are stuck right in the middle of a huge chunk of copper, just my luck.

I’m also sorry that I didn’t take a picture of everything. I currently do not have a working camera but I plan on getting one sometime soon, maybe soon enough to post pictures of this horde. Good luck to you all and HH.

Upvote 0

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Nice pick up, although all I could think about while reading your post was

"I really need to get a fireproof safe."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread