Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beatles "holy grail" record sells for $110k

The 1962 record made at the HMV record store on Oxford Street in London is believed to be the only one made. It was given by the band's manager, Brian Epstein, to producer George Martin, who later signed the group.
On one side of the disc, Epstein wrote the names of the songs on the label, misspelling them each time. He attributed: Hullo Little Girl (Hello Little Girl) by John Lennon & The Beatles, while on the flip side, he wrote: 'Til There Was You, (Till There was You) by Paul McCartney & The Beatles.
540x360.jpg

Ud.jpg

An exceedingly rare and historically important Beatles record sold at auction today for $110,000. The 78 RPM 10" acetate includes "Hello Little Girl," apparently the first song John Lennon ever wrote (or at least recorded). The flip side is a song Meredith Wilson wrote for the 1957 play The Music Man, titled "Til There Was You." Take a listen below. The Beatles manager Brian Epstein handwrote the label on this particular record that now belongs to an anonymous collector.

https://boingboing.net/2016/03/22/beatles-holy-grail-record.html

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can still in my mind see my Dad sitting leaning forward on the couch watching the Ed Sullivan show on our BWTV with dumbfounded look on his face saying omg, when the Beatles made their first appearance on the show. I'd never herd of them until that day at school as I recall some of the girls in class talking with excitement about the Beatles going to be on TV that night.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can still in my mind see my Dad sitting leaning forward on the couch watching the Ed Sullivan show on our BWTV with dumbfounded look on his face saying omg, when the Beatles made their first appearance on the show. I'd never herd of them until that day at school as I recall some of the girls in class talking with excitement about the Beatles going to be on TV that night.

I remember My Sister wanting to Stay up & watch & My Mom saying she wanted to stay up to see the Beatles. so of course I as curious too.
Funny thing I was expecting to see something like this singing

index.jpg index.jpg index.jpg .
needless to say I was Disappointed at the time And could hardly keep my eyes open

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the melody and all, but I was being taught the trumpet and preferred the sound of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass along with the horn of Al Hirt and the jazz great Louis Armstrong.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the melody and all, but I was being taught the trumpet and preferred the sound of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass along with the horn of Al Hirt and the jazz great Louis Armstrong.

yea I liked Herb Alpert back then also.[been so long since I heard them, I couldn't name the songs or even hear one in my head right now, though Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White just came to mind :tongue3:
apparently not their song ]

I think when I saw A Hard Days Night was about the time I started liking the Beatles.
Which was probably a Couple years later.
Before that they were just another band to me

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can always recall in the memory banks of my mind "A Taste of Honey" I think I could still even play if given the horn again. Maybe even "Spanish Flea" ??? A long time ago we were waiting for my Dad at the airport and you could wait for incoming flights just off the tarmac and there were a lot of other folks waiting with pen and paper in had as Al Hirt was on the same plane my Dad was on. The dude stood out like a sore thumb when he got off the plane and my brother even got his autograph on the back of some magazine he found in a trash can. I don't know were that autograph of Al Hirt ever went to and my brother passed in 1972, so it most likely got tossed away?.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can always recall in the memory banks of my mind "A Taste of Honey" I think I could still even play if given the horn again. Maybe even "Spanish Flea" ???

LOL I had to go to YouTube to remind me.

Both awesome songs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread