Humminbird 987 sc

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im getting one from hummingbird for free to use as a demo and to promote it,its awesome,just as good as a sidescan but alot cheaper an you dont have to worry about towing a fish.

V

videorov

Sounds good to me and look forward to getting some info from the person getting the demo. Lucky guy.

OP
OP
C

Captain Dave

I ended up getting this unit a few weeks ago and so far I'm very impressed. The side scan fuction and chart plotter are 1st rate. I'm not getting perfect bottom lock with the under the boat sonar function, but I hope some tweeking of the transducer will solve this.
My boat has a single screw... I think a boat with twin screws may have trouble mounting the transducer far enough away from the props to avoid cavitation problems because it's only available as a transom mount.
Hummin bird also hasn't come up with a way to save the side scan images to disk yet, but hopefully they will update the software to include this function SOON!
I was able to pefectly image a side wheel steamer in 110'fsw and a tug boat at 130'fsw..... beyond their rated range of 100'....pretty amazing tool! I've added a number of new sites to the "project list" already!

I'll post some digital images from this comming weekend in case anyone is interested

V

videorov

Will look forward to seeing your digital pictures from it. I hope they will be able to save pictures to a computer in the
future from it. I guess it has a computer I/O port on it?
I have a computer on the boat I use for Maptech Nav program.
Are you just going to take pictures from the screen so we can see it.

old gringo

Jul 19, 2005
I have been looking at the 981c and was disappointed to see it does not have a option for a through hull transducer. People think of humminbird electronics as cheap but they have got some good dependable stuff.

OP
OP
C

Captain Dave

This unit is pretty amazing for what it cost...... and how simple it is to use
These are images of an @ 1860's steamer off Atlantic city we discovered a few years ago. The engine and boilers are clearly visible....... pretty awsome.

Still waiting for a way to save the images directly to disc..........................

Attachments

• Paigeswreck2.jpg
    Paigeswreck2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,733
  • Paigeswreck1.jpg
    Paigeswreck1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,700
V

videorov

Captain Dave said:
This unit is pretty amazing for what it cost...... and how simple it is to use
These are images of an @ 1860's steamer off Atlantic city we discovered a few years ago. The engine and boilers are clearly visible....... pretty awsome.

Still waiting for a way to save the images directly to disc..........................
Yes saving to computer would be real nice.

OP
OP
C

Captain Dave

This wreck site, which we named after my daughter Paige, who was
on the boat the first time we found it in 2001...... sits in 28- 34 fsw off Atlantic City NJ. in a very horrible place!
The visibility averages 0' and the bottom can only be described as......... "chocolate whipped cream"!!? ? ? ? ?

? Good Times!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Captain David M. Pfeiffer
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?SubMissionII
? ? ? ? ? ? ? Brigantine, New Jersey
"Atlantic City's best wreck diving charters"

old gringo

Jul 19, 2005
Thinking I will get one next week.

Anyone know of any good deals online for one ??

Hope they work well in 30 to 50 ft of saltwater.

OP
OP
C

Captain Dave

I found the best price from a company called anchor express. It was $200 cheaper than West Marine or Boaters World and I had it on my door step the next day!
http://www.anchorexpress.com/
I've had excellent results with the unit in fairly shallow water - 60fsw or less. It takes some practice getting the speed of the boat to match the speed of the image trace on the screen.Too fast and it's choppy..too slow and it's stretched out. I've found @ 5-6 knots gives me the best possible image. That's in ultra speed and in high resolution mode.
You also have to run along side your target to get an image, taking the depth of the water into account, because the side scan does not pick up what's directly under the boat. The deeper the water, the larger the excluded area.

Happy hunting!

Captain David M. Pfeiffer
SubMission II
Brigantine, New Jersey
"Atlantic City's best wreck diving charters"

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain Dave said:
Has any one seen or used this unit.? It seems too good to be true for the price................ any thoughts?

All I can say is WOW.. :) It definatley looks like a great way to start toying with Side-scan -- and at a reasonable price. I figured it wouldn't take long for a fish-finder company to create their own Side-Scan device. Especially consideirng I've been reading forums for years about people that have converted fish-finders, chart-plotters, etc into Side-Scan devices -- and used Fish-Finder tranducers for projects as well.

This unit appears very nice and functional.

I just scoured that manual and while there doesn't appear to be a way to export pictures, it is notable that some of the models feature Multimedia Memory Card slots. These are used to add more maps to the device AND to upgrade the software for the device. So it is possible, that Humminbird could release a software update in the future that could potentially allow you to "GRAB/SNAPSHOT" an image and then be able to save it to one of these MMC slots for later retrieval into a PC.

Very cool if that would happen.

V

videorov

Hummingbird tech told me this stuff about saving pictures.

Thank you for contacting Humminbird. The 981C SI does have the capability to perform with the screen capture with the updated software available at www.humminbird.com. The screen capture can be enabled from the Accessories menu tab. When enabled, pressing the MARK key captures an image, in addition to creating a waypoint as usual. Everything on the screen is captured, including all menus, dialog boxes, warnings and messages. You can capture the screen at any time, except during the start up screen.

Your images can be reviewed on a new view, called the Screen Capture view. This view shows thumbnails of the images, three at a time. You can see the full screen image by selecting the thumbnail (cursor up/down) and the cursor right. You can delete the image or all of them by using the Xpress menu.

You will be able to freeze the image using the cursor and store the screen capture to a MMC card that can be transferred to a PC for future viewing. Should you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Jennifer-CRC

old gringo

Jul 19, 2005
Brad,
saw your post over on Geotech. The unit is impressive. Hope to see some pics of objects in water between 40 and 80 ft.

B

bhampton

woot! I own a 16foot Zodak with a 50 horse Honda on it and it gets moved around quite easly
my bigest issue is i am all but blind on the right side sonar because the outboard is in the way so I need to make a
mount that will fix the problem, I am not ready to go to a towed fish just yet but i think a mount with swivels would help
I want a mount that can go from my boar to the sheriffs boat or a friends boat so I can use it for search and recovery and while my friend is trolling.
I will try to add some explinations for each image maybe add a map of the area or a photo that helps explane the scan.
talk at ya later brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread