Hunt Saturday with no luck!

flinginairos

May 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted on here a while ago with a picture of my first point found on accident. Since then I have gone out a few times to actually look with zero luck! LOL. it's all good though because just being outdoors is what I love. I hunted two different creeks after a ton of rain and I am struggling to find anything that looks "old". Mainly just lots of limestone and slate. I KNOW they are here I am just not sure exactly where I need to be looking! Here is the creek I looked in
ypa9a7aj.jpg

My little boy had a great time!
u5a2ureg.jpg

I have several more spots to check out after the water goes down so I will post back!

Sent from space

Upvote 0

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up. I just started creek searching this year. I failed to find anything (except pottery shards) for the first 10-13 tries. Then I found a perfect little bird point. Since the I've found 2 more perfect points and 7 broken. Go and look SLOWLY. Your success rate will probably never match surface hunts, but the odds of finding "perfect" points might be greater. Good luck!

OP
OP
F

flinginairos

May 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up. I just started creek searching this year. I failed to find anything (except pottery shards) for the first 10-13 tries. Then I found a perfect little bird point. Since the I've found 2 more perfect points and 7 broken. Go and look SLOWLY. Your success rate will probably never match surface hunts, but the odds of finding "perfect" points might be greater. Good luck!

Thanks!! I definitely need to go slower. Are there certain areas that are better to look when it comes to creeks? It seems most of the creeks around here are lots of big limestone rocks and its a little hard to look in them. I have been looking for flat shallow areas where lots of smaller rock have washed together but those areas are few and far between.

Sent from space

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find good advice all over the place in this forum from more experienced "creek searchers" than me. Go to the search bar and type "artifact creek searching", "creek hunting tips"......... Some of the posters here seem have great success with their creek searching and will give you tips.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you can do- if your creek(s) are fairly fast-flowing, is to look on the downstream side of large rocks/impediments (there's often a hollow- or fairly deep pool there, where water has pushed loose material away, leaving the heavier things). That's where things settle after being washed down-stream. They tend to gather there. And if you can use a diving mask or goggles- or a bucket w/ clear plexi-glass inserted in the bottom- like a 'window into the water', it's make it easier to see through the surface of moving water (which really obscures vision big time). I too am just learning about single-direction flowing rivers (I currently live on a tidal river- which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish). It ain't easy. But go slow, and imagine points being little surf boards that don't float. They'll go a certain distance, and when they get caught up in a down-side pool, they'll stay there. Good luck, and don't give up!- It's such a great way to beat the heat in summertime ;) HH! Yakker

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That creek looks like a tough one due to the creek flows strong and it looks shallow. Check turns in the creek if there is going to be any there they should be in the turns. Good Luck and cute kid. Mine is grown and I sure do miss those younger yrs it was allot of fun.

OP
OP
F

flinginairos

May 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!! I will try again soon when the water goes down. Heavy rain again today has the creeks up

Sent from space

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creek hunting is definitely a time consuming hunt but when you find something it makes it worth it, I know because that's the only way I find stuff. My creek is shallow too. I looked at your pic and thought about where I would try first and the first thing I do is look in the areas where there is a root or tree limb stuck in the bottom and then where there's that little water fall at the bottom of your pic I would look around there too. Don't give up though. Once you start finding stuff your eyes will get trained. I've found over 100 shards and only have a hand full of points/tools. The shards just show up more. The stone stuff I found while looking for shards and just got lucky. Good luck and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread