hunt sites

S

stefen

TENACITY.

WHEN YOU HAVE ATTEMPTED A SITE FOR HOURS AND HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT, THEN IF YOU ARE LIKE ME, THE SITE GETS A LOW SCORE.

IF I HAVE HAD REASONABLE LUCK, THEN A REVISIT MAY BE IN THE CARDS...AND SO ON, AND SO ON...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try not to hunt the same site 2 days in a row, (although I do sometimes, especially in cases with limited access, like homes)

But I Do go back off and on for as long as access is still available.

I find the more I hit a Hunted out site, the Better chance of finding a
Real old Coin.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I would say that there are at least seven good reasons to revisit even well-worked sites.

1. Heavy rains have saturated the area, enhancing conductivity.

2. Significant erosion has occurred due to storms or flooding.

3. Repeated hard freezing and thawing has resulted in major "frost heaves."

4. Landscaping has removed old shrubbery, fences, ground cover, etc.

5. Topsoil has been removed, or deeper layers turned, by heavy machinery.

6. You have new equipment which can detect targets previously out of range.

7. The area is scheduled to be paved, built over, or closed. Last chance!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats a hard question to answer because each site is different. if a site has some history and shows some promise i will hit it 3 or 4 times. if i find something, i will hit it more. sometimes a lot more.it all depends.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
I will always continue to go back. First off, most of the places I go are constantly active. Like the local beach or local Tot Lots and playfields. Even if these places do get hunted out, every season there is more stuff lost. Go on a regular basis and hope to get there before the other guy. Further, I am sure our local beach gets hunted. Yet, every time I go out I find stuff. I always walk away after a couple hours with a couple bucks in change, at least. Sometimes, things older than the last time I was there. So, it is highly possible that one can't find everything in a single trip. We always miss something and it is always there for the next time. Then, add to the issue, the size of the area. If it is a large area, unless you put out grid patterns and go methodically over every square foot, you are bound to miss something between the swings of your detector. You might swing right past one thing on one pass and hit something on the next. When going out to the beach, the space is quite large. I usually take small, managable areas that I can work in a couple hours and concentrate on that. Then, when I go back, I will try another area. By the time I have searched most of the beach, I go back and try again. By then, hopefully someone has lost something new there.

i suppose there are some places where there is little activity and if you are really confident in your detector and your skills, you might not find much the second and less the third time out and so on. But, my short experience, so far, has shown that there always seems to be something left there that you or someone else has missed before.

Read a post a couple nights ago about someone searching a park and some 11 year old came up and tried to tell him it was hunted out. Then told him how much stuff he took out of there the previous year. i was just thinking how funny it would have been if the writer of that post was able to pull an old coin out of his pocket and say, Oh, You must have missed this one. :D

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
PBK said:
I would say that there are at least seven good reasons to revisit even well-worked sites.

1. Heavy rains have saturated the area, enhancing conductivity.

2. Significant erosion has occurred due to storms or flooding.

3. Repeated hard freezing and thawing has resulted in major "frost heaves."

4. Landscaping has removed old shrubbery, fences, ground cover, etc.

5. Topsoil has been removed, or deeper layers turned, by heavy machinery.

6. You have new equipment which can detect targets previously out of range.

7. The area is scheduled to be paved, built over, or closed. Last chance!

Good list of reasons. All are good reasons to detect any available site. Especially to go back and try a site again. Personally, I don't have any reasons to go back to places. Other than they are convenient and I need to get out. I just, simply, know I will probably find something that I didn't the last time.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I go back again and again to the same sites. find new ones too, and weed out some of the old ones from time to time.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hitting the same site almost every monday since last july. Every time I go there I find something. Just when I think I've searched it for the last time, I find something just before I leave.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I think PBK pretty well summed it up. But also there is the changing your detector settings and coming back at a different angle.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
stoney56 said:
I think PBK pretty well summed it up. But also there is the changing your detector settings and coming back at a different angle.

That is another good point. I know that sometimes, i can go out on the beach and be detecting and find tons of stuff. Other times, Same Beach, I find very little. That could be due to luck and all or, it could be due to the ground balancing at the time, batery power or things could be improved by making some other adjustments. Especially if you have a more sophisticated machine that allows custom settings or adjustments. I notice that sometimes, something as simple as my batteries start to go down, even a little, it can be more difficult to pinpoint or I can not locate stuff as deep and so on. Also, I notice that sometimes, I can be finding nothing and will do a rebalance (Ground Balance) and all of a sudden be finding more stuff. Then there is something like how fast I am walking when I am detecting. Who knows, on one trip, how much I might have missed before I changed batteries, rebalanced or slowed myself down some. I think it is always worth checking times over and over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions