New Jersey Colonials

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, I have seen lately that a few New Jersey Colonials have been found and Jeff you might move this post to another forum, but this seems to be the one most visit so I hope you keep it here.

I have for the past couple years been gathering data on ground found New Jersey Colonials, the main purpose of my survey is to create a map by COUNTY and STATE showing the distribution of New Jersey Colonials that have been recovered from the ground, whether by metal detecting, sifting, gardening, whatever.

I currently have data on over 230 found NJ colonials and would like to see that number go higher, especially more from states outside of NJ, but all inputs welcomed..
Currently about 16 different states have reported finding NJ coins and that is great, please, this data is for a distribution survey only and most likely at a later date possibly do one on Vermont or CT coppers.

Thanks in advance and I know some of you have already contributed and thankyou very much, I really do not want to conclude this survey until I feel I got a big database, and I know there are many more found NJ coins that just have not been reported to me yet........
Don in South Jersey

NEW JERSEY COLONIAL COIN DISTRIBUTION STUDY
NEW JERSEY COLONIAL COINS
INFORMATION WANTED:

STATE AND COUNTY COINS FOUND IN Also if known:
YEAR
ATTRIBUTION – (VARIETY)
TYPE OF SITE:
FIELD, FORMER HOMESTEAD, TAVERN, RIVER CROSSING, ETC.
IF POSSIBLE PICTURES
OF OBVERSE AND REVERSE (E-MAIL ME)

PURPOSE:TO MAP THE DISTRIBUTION OF THE NEW JERSEY COPPERS FOR A COLONIAL COIN STUDY BEING CONDUCTED BY ME FOR THE COLONIAL COIN COLLECTOR CLUB.

PLEASE SEND INFORMATION TO: [email protected]

Thanks and spread the word to others who may only lurk or not post at all, at minimum I would love to know the County and State, all other data is optional but if you have it I would appreciate it...

Attachments

• 1787NJMARIS43D2.JPG
    1787NJMARIS43D2.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry, don't have any NJ's, but if it helps i found a spanish colonial in Huron contry Mich. last year. Just goes to show ou can find them everywhere. Realy think the idea of you project is great.....

-GC

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
im real interested in seeing your data base when it is finished. i wish i could help with a new jersey, but i have only found a connecticut copper. if you do a study on the conn. coins let me know. :)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
I found a 1787 this year at a old cellar hole in p.a. If you want to know more private me or just ask on this thread.

HH Jer

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
wow,, that is an awesome find..they don't make em like that anymore,, thank god,,,,, i'm hoping for one here in mass... ;D ;D ;D wtg and hh,,

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been none reported to me yet from any western state. There is always a chance I guess, you know, carried by an Indian or early trapper. Maybe :)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi Don, I do have pics and can get better one's if you would like to see it a little better. It was found in late December 05 at a old cellar hole.

It was found in allegheny co pa. The area was called Robinson twnshp. From what I read alot of settlers from NJ came to the area.

Including the first settler to the area named Andrew Montour. I found colonial buttons. War of 1812 buttons large cents and a bunch of other stuff.

I don't know the variety because there are so many. It wasn't in the greatest shape either.

It was worn down as you can see. But it does have a clear 1787 date.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• 1787 copper.jpg
    1787 copper.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 416
  • 1787 copper back.jpg
    1787 copper back.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 397
  • 1787 copper.jpg
    1787 copper.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 388
  • 1787 copper back.jpg
    1787 copper back.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 391
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeremy, I will download the photo and see if I can get the variety for my survey and if I do I will let you know what it is..... Thanks for the input, Allegheny County, I believe there are 5 found from Westmoreland and 1 excavated in Lignoir? Pa, but none from Allegheny unless Lignoir is there.

Don

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sounds good Don. No problem at all. If you need or want better pics just let me know. These were the only one's I had on my desk top.

I think it's really cool what your doing. If you can figure it out I would love to know. I may need to get you a few better pics.

No, ligonier isn't part of allegheny co. Probably a few hrs away or so.

Take care,

Jeremy

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Jeremy, no your pictures are good enough for identifcation, will try later or tomorrow morning. LOL on my knowledge of Western Pa, I am from Reading Pa and the western part of the state was like a foreign country to us in the east. :)

Don

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeremy, you 1787 New Jersey Colonial Copper is a Maris 48-g variety, a most common variety. It was attributed by myself and two NJ colonial collectors... Thanks for the photos and data.

Don

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope not yet but i'd be interested in seeing how many have found Russian LC's anywhere in US. I found one of those and was really surprised. Perhaps they were
more common than one would think. Good luck!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Don, I appreciate you guys figuring it out. I wish it would have been a 1786. Could have been worth alot if in better shape.

I'll keep looking. Pittsburgh P.a is a old city and there is still alot to find out there.

I hear ya on the foreighn areas. I know the east the least. North south and west of pittsburgh I know pretty well.

What is your study about. Are you trying to trace new Jersey Settlers. Do you know who made these coppers.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, I am NOT an advocate of Olive Oil, since it is soaking in it now, oh well.
Take it out of the oil, wipe off all oil and do an aluminum foil rub, dull side up!
I use my thumb or trigger finger for the rubbing, do not move the foil while rubbing, hopefully you will make out something, if you do not, all the olive oil soaking in the world will not help you.

If the coin is that bad, than it is time for a brass brushing just to try an ID it......

I only use these methods for copper coins

1. Peroxide cleaning than coating with Blue Ribbon conditioner or a light coat of Vaseline
2. Just a light cleaning with water if coin is falling apart
3. No cleaning needed, maybe some toothpick picking
4. brass brush if coin is corroded slug, nothing to lose by trying to get any detail, never worth anything in that condition anyway.

I only ever used electrolysis on beach found silver........

The 1 1/8 size could be anything, large cent or colonial copper, so the size in this case does not help.....

Don

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeremy, there never has been a survey done on the distribution of the New Jersey colonials, I believe there is one ongoing for Virginia halfpennies at the present time.

Colonial coin collecting is becoming more of a big time hobby and there is interest in the history or colonial coins and I am concentrating, since I live in NJ on just how far and how common the NJ colonials were used and then have I will format the data into an article that will be in the Colonial Coin Collectors quarterly newletter for distribution of the info.

All who help contribute will get an end result of my survey if they want it.

I am sure the data will be used by others in the future for articles on the history of Colonial coins.

I also got interested in distribution, since my son and I have found 4 Vermont coins and it seemed odd since we live in Southern NJ.......

New Jersey coins were minted in NJ and NY......

Don

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Great project Don, I have 7 NJ colonials, 5 1787's and 2 undetermined; all found in Berkshire County, Mass. (Western Mass.)

8 Connecticuts and 1 Mass. as well all from the same county and state.

Best of luck with your survey, very worthwhile.

Greg

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the few replies I got on finding NJ Colonials, but sure would like to receive more, I have seen found NJ's posted and have not received any data from some of those individuals, so again, please, if you have found any or know of some who have found a NJ please pass on at minimum the county and state found in and year if known.

The study when finished should prove interesting on where the concentrations of the finds were and also how far they did get distributed from their minting areas.

Thanks again,

Don in SJ

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Don- as soon as I find one or two I'll let you know.............lol
oh by the way if you want to give me some leads or take me to a probable site I'll find you one...or two.....I promise............if I get two you can pick which one you want and if I just get one well we'll have to do rocks paper scissors.
johny mc.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Johnny MC if you are in Pa, you better find one! Especially if in SE Pa. :)
I intend to find one in Pa hopefully within a year when I get up to the farms I want to hit.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions