Hunted into the Evening.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Hunted late afternoon and then again this evening until about 1:30 a.m. Got a cool School Patrol Captain Illinois Division of Highways pin. Trying to research it to date it and learn some more about it. Got lots of relic stuff, a junk ring that's kinda' cute, a pair of wheats, not silver spoon, nice harmonica reed intact, old white patina "bullet", Old 10 gauge brass, brass chess piece looking thing, and various other odd ball stuff. Ground is dry as a bone so the signals are suffering. Trash and nails aren't helping much either. I hope I can get this loaded before it times out again. Adios...:hello:

Morrisey Hunt 8-11-17 001.JPG Morrisey Hunt 8-11-17 002.JPG Morrisey Hunt 8-11-17 003.JPG Morrisey Hunt 8-11-17 006.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 011.JPG Morrisey Hunt 8-11-17 007.JPG Morrisey Hunt 8-11-17 008.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 14

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice grouping of finds. Wow, a whole harmonica reed. Don't see those to often. That chess piece lookin' thing maybe a finial off something. Kinda looks like a male adapter off a compressor hose. Wish they would make them like that . Maybe they wouldn't leak so quickly:laughing7:. Nice bunch of finds!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool Captain badge.
Your soils are looking a tad dry, where as ours in Eastern Ontario are tad muddy like. Put it this way in my area we've had 28" of rain since March. It has rained everyday for the past 11 days, given it may be just a passing shower or a down pour it has gotten wet.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool hunt ,, nothing like hunting under the stars. Don't get hit by a meteorite. lol
Congrats on your finds.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice relics! Please elaborate, why does dry ground cause the signals to suffer?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Decent haul. I agree that ring has charm.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It's just the way, signals like moisture over dry ground. I'm thinking just off the top of my head: Between bone dry soils, and spring wet soils the target depth will be effected greatly. So if you are getting a penny at 6 inches in the wet, well that penny might not or will be barely detectable in the dry. Sound, electrical current, everything likes water, and in detecting moist soils is our friend.
I'm sure someone can explain it better than me-but I tried.:)

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moisture/water is a conductor of electricity. Any time you have damp or wet ground your detector signals will go a little deeper than usual. Dry ground is the exact opposite. Your detector wont go quite as deep with its signals, plus a lot of personal yards are usually off limits during dry times, as the plugs and grass wont go back in as well and may die, upsetting the homeowner. But that has nothing to do with the operation of your machine.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice relic hunt! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am no scientist or expert on soil moisture content increasing the "conductivity" of metal detector signals going more efficiently into the ground but, in my experience it certainly does. I have gotten more and deeper targets in areas where the ground is saturated with moisture. When the ground is dry the signals seem to have tendency to "break up" or get more scratchy. Perhaps someone on T-net has written a post on this subject? Not to mention the digging is just so much easier.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey my friend, sure wish that I could send some rain up your way. we seem to be very blessed with it this year as it rains before they can cut the grass again so we have knee high grass. great for hay and such but not so great for detecting with the grass so high and thick. But you still managed to pull out some pretty sweet finds in spite of the dryness. gotta be some more good stuff in there for later when the ground is more detectable. I ran into a big area yesterday that had a red bull can slaw everywhere as well as a 30 foot metal measuring tape in small pieces. You get rid of some and then have to walk away for a while...no body picks anything up when they mow, just mow it all up. good luck on the rain DL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions