Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My First silver coin and my first button 15' apart and yes I about Sh!# my pants twice.
I'm going to say the standing liberty is 1917 type 1 because I can see the bottom of the 7 in ?1917 under lady liberty and I even though it's worn I don't see any evidence of the chain maille bra😱. On the back under the eagle I don't see any stars that were added to later dates . What do y'all think? The button is pretty neat. I think it's navy civil war era? Any info would be great.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3622.JPG
    IMG_3622.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3623.JPG
    IMG_3623.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3591.JPG
    IMG_3591.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3613.JPG
    IMG_3613.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3625.JPG
    IMG_3625.JPG
    889.2 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 22

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They made those a long time. Im no expert, but it does look like a real US Navy button, and not some civilian made button. Cool find, and that is a great coin for your first silver.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it kind of blows your mind when you see finds like those, congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice SLQ! :occasion14:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First... I see you are a brand-new member, so let me say Welcome to TreasureNet. :)

Your US navy button's backmark (maker's-mark) says "Thomas N. Dale New York". That company was in business from 1852 to 1882. That backmark is found on civil war era buttons and post-civil-war buttons. The fact that the tip of the anchor's upper fluke is behind the eagle's wing indicates your button was made before or during the civil war. Not a 100% guarantee, but more likely than not.

Backmark dating info is from the book: "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! Yep type one - bare breast and no stars under eagle , that's a very nice find indeed !

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say you managed to score a pair of top rated keepers right out of the gate mate. SLQ's are a hard to come by coin and even more so the early type one's as you have I believe. That old Naval button, confirmed by our own The Cannonball Guy, is in remarkable condition and a very nice relic item. These are the very finds most folks drool over and I am drooling even now. Well done.:headbang:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's absolutely a Type 1 SLQ, and I agree, I'm pretty sure I see the base of a 7. IMHO, the SLQ is the nicest coin ever made, and I look forward to seeing them posted. Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For your first silver coin, you couldn't have done much better. Those SLQ are very hard to come by, at least in my neck of the woods. You will always remember where and when you found your first silver. May you find many more!

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Even though I'm a new member I've been stalking you guys for years(:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread