The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know one thing……..I am happy to be out digging once again! It’s been a long time in my book, but to be able to walk into the woods and swing that detector is a great feeling. Now with the weather in the 60’s and the sun shining once again, I decided to make my way to an area that had a number of old homesites dating back to the early 1800’s. A few of them are still lived in, but the others are gone and all that remains are the old cellar holes with their stone walls still showing.
This site has some serious detecting history, out of the ground came some fantastic finds… Including a few firsts for me. To name a couple ……The first coin I found at this site was an early draped bust half cent in rough condition but I still can make out the writing on the reverse, My first gold coin (1835) also an 1875 seated half. But over the last few years a number of other seated coins, plenty of early large cents, Indian heads, shield nickels, hard time tokens, bank of upper Canada half cents and even a Bust half dime. Not including the 1840’s pistol barrel one of my friends found. As you can see there were plenty of nice finds to go around!
Finally I arrived at the site with my wife Cheryl, Grabbing the gear we made our way to the area to detect. ;D Now she has never been here but has seen the finds I brought home in the past. What I did notice was the area along the road where the Electric company was doing shrub removal below the lines. This was the perfect opportunity to detect the area below that has never been touched. I started in the field and followed the road up the hill to the wooded area and started digging and digging, guess what nothing for the first hour and a half. Then I got a good hit around 6 to 8 inches deep. After digging a nice size hole I almost decided to leave it, but having found coins in the side of a hole in the past ……Guess what! This one was also, so as I made one side of the hole larger and removed the dirt, I swung the coil over the pile and had a great hit. I knew I had a nice find. I picked up the coin and first thought 2- cent piece. For some reason they always come out Green, so I'm thinking another one....... Now as I walked over and showed Cheryl she said congratulations. But!!! It was not a 2-cent piece …….. It was a Classic type half cent 1809 and I was very happy. This was my first!!!

P1220022 700x525.jpg
P1230031 700x525.jpg

I have found 2 others and they were in very rough shape ……this one is a beauty! From the looks of it, this one has not been in circulation for long. It looks to be XF condition. So now being pumped up and knowing the old stuff is still there it was back to work. A short time later Cheryl came up with a nice silver spoon and a back plate to an old pocket watch.

P1230028 700x525.jpg

Those are some common finds around old home sites. But with things starting to pick up what happens!!
…………….RAIN! What the heck. The first time out in months and we have to call it quits….. So now with the road trip home only 20 minutes. It still turned out to be a great day…with a nice coin and a new first to start the year!!!

HH and Keep on Digging!

The Seeker

Upvote 0
G

garbage digger

That sounds like a great site full of neat history. Wtg!! on the half.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome start to the year!Good luck with the rest.HH

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeker I can only dream of finds like that out here. I hope you find many more great finds like that. WTG!!!
Burdie

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you're feeling better and getting back out, Seeker! Nice coin, too :D
LL

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Hi John,

Glad to hear your back out hunting. I've dug about 15 large cents, but I'm still looking for my first half cent. That's a real nice looking coin. Way to go!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Glad to see you out again, I can't even be mad, we're in full thaw here in Wi too. Very cool on the half-cent, it's amazing how a coin with a value(face) of under a penny can get ya SO stoked !!! I'm hopin' to get my first big penny this year, congrats, keep diggin'!!!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Got to love those treasured sites that always produce.
Great find on the half cent John, it's a keeper for sure, congrats!
Glad you got out my friend, keep them coming!

Smiles!
BDoo

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Half cent is awesome, congrats! The silver spoon looks like an hors douvre serving spoon, would have had a nice little serving of caviar or something on the spoon. Congrats to wifey! Good to hear you are getting out. "My first gold coin"? How many have you found? The site sounds awesome. HH, Mike

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to hear from you Seeker....Nice job on the half,one of these day's....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread