All Treasure Hunting
Heckuva deal there! You done good!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I went to an auction recently. I got to watch a bunch of un-educated hicks pay $4.00 a piece for common date silver washingtons. I was hoping to get a deal too, but I found out that if you mention silver to the stupid, they go all crazy.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Does "plata", as in "plata pura" on the coin mean silver ?? Or could it be a different metal??

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
whitesid said:
and i picked up this nice piece of Mexican bullion. its .999 pure silver and weighs 1oz.
and i only paid 5.50 for it ;D ;D

Oh 5.50? It's silver value is higher than that correct? good deal for you. It should go for market value in troy ounces regardless of what configuration it's in right?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
whitesid said:
and i picked up this nice piece of Mexican bullion. its .999 pure silver and weighs 1oz.
and i only paid 5.50 for it ;D ;D

Auctions can really be great. I like the small town ones the best. One in our area sold major brand table saws, etc., for like $15. The auctioneer was told to "get rid of it all." One person got a giant collection of music CD's for like $2.

I'm in line for the next auction!

Great coin/silver finds you got there!

Badger

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Good going. Most of the auctions I've been to, the coins sell for almost double of what they are worth. People get stupid, almost like it's a competition or something.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
scotto said:
Good going. Most of the auctions I've been to, the coins sell for almost double of what they are worth. People get stupid, almost like it's a competition or something.

I sat and watched my gpop have run of an auction house because he knew so much about antiques. He was an antique dealer. People got to the point where they would bid on anything he did just because they knew he knew his stuff. So the auction house used this to their advantage. They starting giving him items for market value (when they would get an item in he wanted they would just sell it to him for a little less than the last item like it went for), in exchange for him running stuff up and dropping it at a point something like 10% more than he would actually pay for it. He said sometimes he would even bid on junk just to see if people would follow his lead. He also said sometimes this would bite back and he would be stuck with something he couldn't sell but it worked out well most of the time. He was happy, the auction house was happy, and the people he was bidding against were happy because they thought he wanted the pieces they were winning.

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
scotto said:

I sat and watched my gpop have run of an auction house because he knew so much about antiques. He was an antique dealer. People got to the point where they would bid on anything he did just because they knew he knew his stuff. So the auction house used this to their advantage. They starting giving him items for market value (when they would get an item in he wanted they would just sell it to him for a little less than the last item like it went for), in exchange for him running stuff up and dropping it at a point something like 10% more than he would actually pay for it. He said sometimes he would even bid on junk just to see if people would follow his lead. He also said sometimes this would bite back and he would be stuck with something he couldn't sell but it worked out well most of the time. He was happy, the auction house was happy, and the people he was bidding against were happy because they thought he wanted the pieces they were winning.
thats a good story

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
SWR said:
Skrimpy said:
They starting giving him items for market value (when they would get an item in he wanted they would just sell it to him for a little less than the last item like it went for), in exchange for him running stuff up and dropping it at a point something like 10% more than he would actually pay for it.

This is called "shilling" and is illegal in most states.

Didn't know that, and I don't know if it's illegal in Florida but it was sure a load of fun to watch. Gpas gone now so it doesn't matter anyway.

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
my best auction find was a small bag with 45 large cents. Most were in very nice condition. My father in-law wanted to bid on them also (he runs a 2nd hand store) so we made a deal he would sit out and not bid and I would split the coins/cost with him. I got the bag for $25 (13.00 for 23 coins after split and I got to choose the split) I sold a few of the extra dates on ebay got over $50 each The best ones are still in my collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions