Huntin the NE with Carolina Tom and ...

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntin' the NE with Carolina Tom and ...

Last Monday Carolina Tom and I embarked on a trip whose main purpose was to drive my grand daughter to NYC. Nice of us but we had ulterior motives!

I let Tom drive since he is a scofflaw and doesn't mind speeding in the least while I tend to worry about points and insurance rates and such! You may remember that last Monday was the end of the Labor Day weekend. We left his house around 5:30 in the morning with no traffic but by the time we arrived in the city it was total pandemonium!! We delivered her and bailed for Jersey.

The next morning we left the hotel to meet with our gracious host (but not before Tom scared the desk clerk - I guess she's not used to wild men in the morning). He also ticked off (not purposely - just Tom being Tom) the girl behind the coffee counter so badly that she gave us our coffee but refused our money! We left it on the counter.

Our NJ host took us to spot that looked like just another parking lot with grass medians and a narrow strip of grass on one side but looks can be deceiving and tho he told us that he had already hunted it it gave up 7 silvers in a short time. He had two Washingtons and one dime (I think it was a Rosie). Tom had 3 dimes - a Rosie, a Merc and a Barber. I came in last with (but grinnin' as this would be a really good day at home) 1 Merc and a Sterling St. Jude pendant and an aluminum cross.

Our host had to work that afternoon but before leaving he suggested another place that Tom and I could hit. It was getting late by the time we got there so we just had a short hunt but I'm glad we took the time as I found a nice 1916 Merc - you know I was holding my breath when I flipped it over to check the mint mark. Alas no "D". We loaded up and drove to Philly.

IMG_1949.jpg

The next morning we got on the road early and drove to an abandoned high school where we had had some luck before - it didn't disappoint as Tom and I both scored Buffaloes and I made up a little ground finding a '41 Washington. We met with our Philly host and he took us to a spot where he and another TNet member had found numerous silvers recently. This particular spot was an area of the property that had only come to light recently and had not been hunted. For several hours silver was popping up all over - Tom and I have never seen the like!!! We both more than doubled our single day silver totals and among the three of us found over thirty silvers in about half a day!!! Our host had to leave and on our own Tom an I headed to another school that we had spied out. More silver - Tom found 2 Mercs and I found a Rosie and a Great Seal coat button and a junk St. Christopher pendant.

IMG_1951.jpg

Sorry to run on so long but this was an epic adventure for Tom and myself! We are both so thankful to count these TNet'rs as friends!!

Upvote 25

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Smittyman. I really like the religious pendents. Congratulations

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again for taking me treasure hunting!

I got his pic of you "intently studying" a hole in the ground! You are so cute when you are baffled!

Attachments

• IMG_20150909_124958_313-1.jpg
    IMG_20150909_124958_313-1.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 110

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was very nice and considerate of you to volunteer to drive your granddaughter back to New York. Such a thoughtful gesture!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice stuff, my only memory of our NY group hunt is of BEEZ feverishly swinging to find a Largie while you were leaning on the Minelab with a cell phone stuck to your ear. I like the photo of you watching the nightcrawlers mate. I will now get off the floor and stop laughing

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome post, awesome finds and 2 outstanding gracious hosts. :occasion14: What could be better. Man that would be a record breaker in almost everyone's hunting endeavours. :headbang:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like a great time! great scores fellas!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

I got his pic of you "intently studying" a hole in the ground! You are so cute when you are baffled!

Look at that animal! Man that Smittyman just goes and goes...

Nice job Steve. I bet your host really enjoyed digging with you and is glad you had fun.

Steve

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Steve!
I bet kept you smiling all the way home.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:tongue3:What...no urinating in public pics? I am disappointed.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post and story Smittyman! That trip sounds like a great time with some awesome hosts. I've never had a silver day anywhere close to what you and Carolina Tom had up there. You both had some excellent finds. :thumbsup:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a trip like that! Good job on having fun and finding the goods.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. I found that exact same St. Jude pendant years back, & they are one solid piece of sterling.

OP
OP
smittyman

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think that was just before I passed out from the heat.

OP
OP
smittyman

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was very nice and considerate of you to volunteer to drive your granddaughter back to New York. Such a thoughtful gesture!

You know me always thinking of others - sooner or later.

OP
OP
smittyman

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice stuff, my only memory of our NY group hunt is of BEEZ feverishly swinging to find a Largie while you were leaning on the Minelab with a cell phone stuck to your ear. I like the photo of you watching the nightcrawlers mate. I will now get off the floor and stop laughing

Thanks Rich! It's Tom's main goal in life to poke fun at the less fortunate (me) he's even more of a riot in person.

OP
OP
smittyman

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at that animal! Man that Smittyman just goes and goes...

Nice job Steve. I bet your host really enjoyed digging with you and is glad you had fun.

Steve

I really hope so tho I think the heat almost got him too.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn you killed it on your road trip, nice amount of silver for the year to date tally!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread