Huntin the NE with Carolina Tom and ...

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntin' the NE with Carolina Tom and ...

Last Monday Carolina Tom and I embarked on a trip whose main purpose was to drive my grand daughter to NYC. Nice of us but we had ulterior motives!

I let Tom drive since he is a scofflaw and doesn't mind speeding in the least while I tend to worry about points and insurance rates and such! You may remember that last Monday was the end of the Labor Day weekend. We left his house around 5:30 in the morning with no traffic but by the time we arrived in the city it was total pandemonium!! We delivered her and bailed for Jersey.

The next morning we left the hotel to meet with our gracious host (but not before Tom scared the desk clerk - I guess she's not used to wild men in the morning). He also ticked off (not purposely - just Tom being Tom) the girl behind the coffee counter so badly that she gave us our coffee but refused our money! We left it on the counter.

Our NJ host took us to spot that looked like just another parking lot with grass medians and a narrow strip of grass on one side but looks can be deceiving and tho he told us that he had already hunted it it gave up 7 silvers in a short time. He had two Washingtons and one dime (I think it was a Rosie). Tom had 3 dimes - a Rosie, a Merc and a Barber. I came in last with (but grinnin' as this would be a really good day at home) 1 Merc and a Sterling St. Jude pendant and an aluminum cross.

Our host had to work that afternoon but before leaving he suggested another place that Tom and I could hit. It was getting late by the time we got there so we just had a short hunt but I'm glad we took the time as I found a nice 1916 Merc - you know I was holding my breath when I flipped it over to check the mint mark. Alas no "D". We loaded up and drove to Philly.

IMG_1949.jpg

The next morning we got on the road early and drove to an abandoned high school where we had had some luck before - it didn't disappoint as Tom and I both scored Buffaloes and I made up a little ground finding a '41 Washington. We met with our Philly host and he took us to a spot where he and another TNet member had found numerous silvers recently. This particular spot was an area of the property that had only come to light recently and had not been hunted. For several hours silver was popping up all over - Tom and I have never seen the like!!! We both more than doubled our single day silver totals and among the three of us found over thirty silvers in about half a day!!! Our host had to leave and on our own Tom an I headed to another school that we had spied out. More silver - Tom found 2 Mercs and I found a Rosie and a Great Seal coat button and a junk St. Christopher pendant.

IMG_1951.jpg

Sorry to run on so long but this was an epic adventure for Tom and myself! We are both so thankful to count these TNet'rs as friends!!

Upvote 25
OP
OP
smittyman

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3:What...no urinating in public pics? I am disappointed.

Sorry OD! I admit I've missed a few lately - Tom and I were hunting close together when I got a really great silver dime signal. I called Tom over - stuck my shovel in the ground and with a gentle lift popped out a previously dug plug revealing a silver Rosie left in the hole. The look on his face was priceless!!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you gents keep me smilin', and generally jealous, congrats on sniping the crumbs Tom left for you:-). maybe some day you can release BEEZ from the cellar his wife keeps him locked in to find his own Largie.
Thanks Rich! It's Tom's main goal in life to poke fun at the less fortunate (me) he's even more of a riot in person.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like y'all had a hellava time!!! I love road trips and am hoping to take one south soon myself. HH

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post to you guys! Looks like a great day and awesome finds!!! Congrats!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE RELIGOUS FINDS YOU GOT THERE ....

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great story, great hunt, and what sounds like a great time.
Glad to hear you guys were treated well by these Yankees. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions