Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
I hunt in the water or wet sand if there are a lot of people on the beach. Usually I keep my distance from people and hunt the dry sand only when there are not many around or I stay at the not so populated areas.

Surfview

Jul 1, 2012
Marineland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've hunted in the water when it's filled with people. Try not to get too close or interfere with families playing in the surf. Now if your area is bumper to bumper, maybe just stay in the sand. But weaving in and out of tents and beach towels can get a little invasive also. Just my opinion. I think there is a natural distance that you will get a feel for, sort of like not invading someone's personal space when you are in a conversation. I've seen detectorist wave their coil right up to someone's beach towel, it's a public beach, but that's too close for my taste. Common sense and courtesy will guide you. Good luck.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the crowded beaches nearly every day. Never had a problem. Obviously, there is a point that can become too crowded, especially when you're in the water where adults and children can be very active, so I always trying to go around them or give them plenty of room or simply move away from that area. People are also naturally curious, especially kids, so questions and conversations go hand in hand, which I really don't mind since I often meet a lot of nice and interesting people. I never try to appear jaded or unfriendly because I think this tends to draw some of the criticism that our hobby receives. There is also something to be said for having a lot of friends and/or associates on the beach, as I think it simply allows you to blend into the beach crowd instead of possibly standing out. And last, with the rise in competition in recent years it's rare when a day goes by that I don't see several other hunters on the beach picking away at all the prime spots, so, he who snoozes often loses. :laughing7:

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted in the water when it's filled with people. Try not to get too close or interfere with families playing in the surf. Now if your area is bumper to bumper, maybe just stay in the sand. But weaving in and out of tents and beach towels can get a little invasive also. Just my opinion. I think there is a natural distance that you will get a feel for, sort of like not invading someone's personal space when you are in a conversation. I've seen detectorist wave their coil right up to someone's beach towel, it's a public beach, but that's too close for my taste. Common sense and courtesy will guide you. Good luck.

Exactly!

S

stefen

Actually make out better hunting along the edges of the parking lots...a lot of stuff gets dropped and is just under the sand...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread