Hunting for a dead body

Apifia

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, sort of...

I'm a volunteer helping a family search for their missing (and presumed dead) daughter. I have a hunch that she may be buried of private property, and I have the owner's permission to search it. The girl also had a couple dogs, both of whom are missing and presumed dead also. The missing girl wore metal jewelry, silver rings and such. The dogs may have been wearing dog tags.

What metal detector would be considered best for this type of project? How should it be done, and how long should I take?

Your answers are much appreciated.

PS: you may be wondering why I'm doing this and not law enforcement. The answer, I suppose, is because they DON'T think she is dead or buried there.I don't care what they think though, I'm still going to look.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post Apifia - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

metal_detector.gif
2nd - I searched and found varied types of MD's finding lost ones (by accident) - your MD will detect "metal" (rings, etc.) so I don't really think it matters. I am sure a member(s) will pipe in shortly with other suggestions.

Che Guevara

Jan 8, 2017
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think in this case the detector will not help you, deep in the earth
Need a search probe, a better trained dog
4196114.jpg poiskovoj-shhup.jpg

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
You need a specialized trained Dog for this and not a MD.

If you do not have any K9 experience then I would call over to a place in Florida called Space Coast Tactical, I would be happy to pass you the mans name you need to speak with there, hands down he is the best in North America. He will be able to explain how a certain trained K9 can find a body after decades and under what conditions. If you not in North America he knows the best all over the world.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, sort of...

I'm a volunteer helping a family search for their missing (and presumed dead) daughter. I have a hunch that she may be buried of private property, and I have the owner's permission to search it. The girl also had a couple dogs, both of whom are missing and presumed dead also. The missing girl wore metal jewelry, silver rings and such. The dogs may have been wearing dog tags.

What metal detector would be considered best for this type of project? How should it be done, and how long should I take?

Your answers are much appreciated.

PS: you may be wondering why I'm doing this and not law enforcement. The answer, I suppose, is because they DON'T think she is dead or buried there.I don't care what they think though, I'm still going to look.

What State or Country are you in? Anything in the news about this disappearance??

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard, our new member. Every state police department has cadaver dogs. Also there are private cadaver dogs owners who may be able to help you. What state or country are you from? Good luck and keep in touch. I would do the same thing. God bless.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A two box may also help with moved dirt. But my F75 from fisher also will show moved dirt of places where fire has been.

Che Guevara

Jan 8, 2017
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could help you, but I'm away!
A killer or a criminal could handle the dead body of a chemical reagent..
If you have where to watch, watch all
Soft earth, not the rocks, broken tree branches, it is necessary to look eyes!
To read nature, the best answer!
a local resident can show that he changed on his land!

OP
OP
A

Apifia

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern California.

I am seeking private cadaver/search and rescue dog handlers. hit me up if you know of any.

Welcome aboard, our new member. Every state police department has cadaver dogs. Also there are private cadaver dogs owners who may be able to help you. What state or country are you from? Good luck and keep in touch. I would do the same thing. God bless.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard. I concur with the dog idea. A detector won't be of much help. Depending on how long ago the disappearance was, disturbed ground would be a sign if recent.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern California.

I am seeking private cadaver/search and rescue dog handlers. hit me up if you know of any.

What town, city and or county are you going to be looking in, are you looking for someone to do this for free?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cadaver dog. Metal detector would probably be useless.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If she is unfortunately deceased then its possible that she was dumped and abandoned instead of buried. Its been my experience that a lot of killers just want to get rid of the body as quickly as possible and escape the area. It would take some time to properly dispose of or bury a body so it could not be found. I would check the area for bones, clothing or shallow depressions in the soil and by all means take a metal detector or cadaver dog if you can get one. I hope that you find this lady for the family's peace of mind. Just remember that if you do then it is now a crime scene. Disturb as little as possible, back out and contact law enforcement!

Che Guevara

Jan 8, 2017
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is this tool? is it rent able?
This tool is needed to probe suspicious places in the ground, sticking it into the ground.
I do not know where it is possible to rent or buy in your country, but you can do it at any service station!

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but ..... call law enforcement. They have search and recovery teams that are trained for this. Makes no sense at all to me not to "want" to do this? If my daughter was missing you couldn't keep me from going this route. If afterwards you are not happy with results or outcome then by all means take it to a private level. My metal detecting club helps out the local search and rescue folks so maybe your local guys use metal detecting people as well.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but ..... call law enforcement. They have search and recovery teams that are trained for this. Makes no sense at all to me not to "want" to do this? If my daughter was missing you couldn't keep me from going this route. If afterwards you are not happy with results or outcome then by all means take it to a private level. My metal detecting club helps out the local search and rescue folks so maybe your local guys use metal detecting people as well.

They tried that, police where not going for it.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact the folks at Texas Equusearch, they will be able to give you all the info you need.... As far as using a detector to find a grave, I'd have to agree with what others have said here that it probably wouldn't be a lot of help. Your best bet would be a ground penetrating radar unit which will identify areas where holes have been dug. There are places that rent them, but I'd imagine they are not cheap, and you'll need someone who knows how to operate it.

The probe that was shown here is a "plumbers probe" made to locate sewer pipes, but people use them to find bottle pits and other things as well. You can get them from plumbing supply companies. I think they generally sell in the $20 -$25 range. I found mine on the side of the road, so I'm not sure on the cost. The problem you'll have with using one though is that while it wil tell you the ground has been dug (you'll feel a difference in how easily it goes in) it won't tell you if anything is in the hole unless you hit on something solid.

Texas Equusearch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread