Hunting properties for sale

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Hunting 'properties for sale'

If you have a good lead on a property that is for sale (say an old hotel, old school property, etc,), a good way to get permission to hunt is approach the owner as follows. Tell them you can help get attention for the property from potential buyers if things work out well with your hunt. Say if you find interesting things, you will call the local newspaper editor and tell them about it and they will more than likely write a story (especially if the site has some local significance from the past). I happen to work with the press a lot and they are always looking for interesting stories. This might be tougher with bigger papers, but the locals will always listen. Worse case, they don't write anything, but you still got to hunt the place and you did your best. Remind the owner that this would be like a free advertisement and you or the owner can mention to the reporter the property is for sale, so they can include it in the article. Sure, there will be some owners scared off by the fact you might find something historic that could cause a problem with state agencies, but I don't think too many people think that way, unless it's a civil war area or something.

Upvote 0

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Re: Hunting 'properties for sale'

i'm a realtor and i often approach property owners with my card. the card seems to ease their worries and many times they allow me to scan their yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread