HUNTING SNOW BANKS AT THE MALL?

Stu Pedasso

Jun 27, 2007
Hello,

This probably only applies to folks in the northern parts of the country. I often wondered how much treasure is sitting in those giant mounds of snow that get plowed off of the black top lots at your larger stores and malls. Has anyone every hunted these areas in the spring? Most of the time the piles are on the blacktop, any stuff would have to be sitting there after the melt. I was talking with a co-worker today who said he saw a guy with a detector at local store parkgin lot yesterday. He was detecting a snow bank with a lady who was looking for her lost wedding ring.

Stu

I used to work security at the burnsville shopping center in Burnsville, Mn., you would have better luck walking around the building after a day of strong wind. Paper money blows away pretty quick into the bushes and landscaping around the building. Usually if people drop money in the parking lot they pick it up too.

i wait until the snow melts,then walk a mile or two down one side of the back roads where i am detecting from the roads edge and about arms reach onto the grass,then turn around and do the same on the other side of the road by the time i get back to my door i usually score $5 dollars in change and other various prizes.

the only thing i do in winter is ice fish,detecting comes in spring for me.

be safe & HH
~Shawn~

I've seen several articles where the author has done well detecting snow banks. We're experiencing the most snow here in ten years and I'm making notes of where the plows are pushing up the piles in the mall lots. I'm sure it's hit and miss like most detecting, but at least most things dropped randomly in the lots will be crowded into a smaller area. Worth a try as the piles melt down.
HH
Bill

We rarely get enough snow at one time to get plowed into banks more than a couple times a year... Still I do "drivebys" at the local mall when I'm test driving cars for work. I roll slowly and eyeball the ground where they melt... all I've ever seen was a few pennies and a lot of foil trash. I have eyeballed gold jewelry in the parking lots several times, so the chances are there of finding something. HH, Mike.

Depending on the amount of snowfall piled up or the frequency of the plowing this can be another area to clean up. As was mentioned the fences and bushes will collect paper money that blows there. I get a bigger thrill out of seeing it laying on the sandy bottom of a beach by using polarized glasses.

Guys,

I will definately check out the local malls this spring knowing you have had luck. Let me know what you find. Last week we got 5", this weekend 3", tomorrow they are calling for 9" of additional snow. There should be plenty of piles to investigate!

Stu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back