hunting with the 15 inch coil on my 800

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt for Civil War relics and also do some coin hunting. I know the current wisdom is the 15 inch coil is a little deeper than the stock coil and covers a little bit more real estate per swing.

But I had noticed that it also makes targets ring up more solid and less jumpy than the stock coil. Anyone else notice this?

The only downside is you are pretty much limited to a recovery speed of 4 on the 15 inch coil. Or that is what I have been told. Any thoughts on this topic?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of tones or I.D. numbers between the 11" and 15" coils myself. Depth is slightly better, and I do like the extra coverage. I change my recovery speed and iron bias settings depending on the type and amount of trash in the area. Some areas I've run the recovery speed and iron bias to their max settings to pick amongst the iron around a fire ring. I know, I should just put on the 6" coil, but, when I'm out on a huge beach a long way from the truck, I'm too lazy to walk that far to change it!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use 15' for all land hunting after awhile you'll be able to pinpoint multiple targets under it. Have you tried the update V3? It will stabilize the noise even better and aids in pinpointing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread