🥇 BANNER Hurricane irma uncovers 1733 treasure fleet coin, on Friday the 13th !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooo hoooo !! I got one !! A big old fat, chunky, full size, dated piece of eight cob !! Took 5 hunts after the hurricane to get a cob. Only been out of the sand for an hour. Beautiful low tide hunt at the hurricane hole, wasn't there 45 minutes before I got the cob. Found another strap keeper from the wreck too. What a great morning. photo-676.JPG
photo-677.JPG
Im almost certain this coin will clean up incredibly well as it is a full size piece with a bold strike. Pretty sure its dated 1732, and was pulled from high ground by the hurricane. I found it in ankle deep water at mid tide. Woo hooo !! Got to clean the old girl up. Friday the 13 th was pretty darn lucky for me so far. Nice odd shaped piece. Looks like it came from the middle of the bar !!

Upvote 133

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just weighed it and it aint so big and nasty anymore. It only weighed 24.7 it should be like my others between 26.1-26.7 So perhaps the rectangle shape is from a nice clip ?? Clipped 8 is fine with me and makes good sense for the shape ?? What do you guys think ??

I don't think the 1,5 gram clip would affect the 8 Reales shape. It might have polished a bit in the sand loosing a gram or so.

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YUP ITS A WOWER !!! banner vote inbound n congrats on the find of a lifetime !!!. I'm amazed at the things members on this site find !.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Blak bart ! That is definitely a Banner find! I’ve only seen similar shaped in Philadelphia at a Numismatic show! Congrats again on a super find !

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY! Look who's on TOP of the WORLD! Nice BANNER find mate! Another Big Congratulations from me to YOU!:blob8::wav::blob8:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opened TN and see your cob looking at me! :hello2: Congrats! Thats the place to be!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can almost picture the disaster. Someone must have saved that piece and lost it. Great piece to think about with 2 hurricanes. Perfect gift for your wife!!! Amazing find!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that’s a beautiful coin BART. How many 8s have you found? I would love to see a few pics of some of your best coins

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man !!! I made it to the banner board !! Thanks everyone for the banner votes. Its an honor to be up there with so many other great finds and recoveries. I know I probaly dissapointed many by cleaning this coin, but please realize that im a treasure hunter not a coin collector. Most of my cob coins end up mounted or ready to mount. And this one is going in a mount for my wife since I found it on her birth day wich also happened to be fri. The 13th.if thats not enough irony or coincidence or luck then think about this. One hurricane buried this treasure and 284 years later a massive hurricane uncovered it. Living through irma has given me a new understanding of what it was like for these poor galleon survivors. Thanks again and happy hunting everyone !!! Hopefully ill be able to post up some more in the coming future.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooo hoooo !!!! My first banner find !! Wooo hoooo !!!!

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow man !!! I made it to the banner board !! Thanks everyone for the banner votes. Its an honor to be up there with so many other great finds and recoveries. I know I probaly dissapointed many by cleaning this coin, but please realize that im a treasure hunter not a coin collector. Most of my cob coins end up mounted or ready to mount. And this one is going in a mount for my wife since I found it on her birth day wich also happened to be fri. The 13th.if thats not enough irony or coincidence or luck then think about this. One hurricane buried this treasure and 284 years later a massive hurricane uncovered it. Living through irma has given me a new understanding of what it was like for these poor galleon survivors. Thanks again and happy hunting everyone !!! Hopefully ill be able to post up some more in the coming future.

Congratulations :occasion14:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner Bart! Well deserved. And as far as cleaning it goes, the condition it was in was crusty and the method you used to clean it was A+ No Harm no Foul in my book! Looks awesome. Let it tone back in and it will be even better.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's almost as close as you can get to finding genuine buried pirate treasure! No doubt after word of the sinking of the treasure ships both salvage companies and pirates would have flocked to pretty much the same place you just found that coin albeit 300 years earlier - you found what they missed!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making Banner!!!
Well deserved!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best luck I ever had on such a bad luck day, fri. 13

Congrats on that super nice find. While you were digging treasure I was digging deer hide off my front bumper. Glad your day went better than mine.

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner! Well deserved.
I like the finished cleaned look of your piece, it still has the detail and looks like pure silver treasure. I still appreciate seeing the dirty pics too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions