I almost thought it was junk?!!

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
AT Pro-Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old hard rubber medical syringe alongside some bottles. I didn't know what it was at first, and I almost trashed it. The only thought that stopped me was that it was found in the same pit with bottles dating 1860s to 1890s. I did some research...it is some kind of 1800s syringe and the plunger still has a leather wrapped end. It is in beautiful condition!! If anyone has addition info. , please share.

image-89314854.jpg

image-3886064640.jpg

image-4073908367.jpg

Upvote 2

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's a vaginal syringe

OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be...I hope it's more like a soldier's wound flusher. Either way it is a great, antique, medical oddity find.

OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is it not worthy, gaspipe? Just wondering what you know about these, because the info I came across seems to point in a different direction. You may be correct, but I would like further insight.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just kidding ..... never have seen anything like it. Good to see you are into an older pit. if you find any good bottles post them. I have dug bottles for years got into metal detecting for a change of pace. Lot of old stuff here in New England.

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
(currently, Lobo & AT Pro) whites 6DB, 6000, Fisher 5 zx, Tesoro Bandito micromax,Sand Shark, Tejon. Garret GT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like an old syringe for mercury, used to treat syphilis. for men.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find. we find them quite often when we're digging privies. Sometimes there will be a patent date on the top round part where the plunger goes in

OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! It might be a vaginal or male :censored:

Okerraine, it doesn't have any markings. It was very difficult to Google, because I didn't know where I should begin. Finally, I hit the right search with old medical syringe pumper. The first images where linked to ebay sales with this sort of item being described as Civil War and Indian War wound flushing syringes. I was happy to hit on images that were identical to my find. I know that it could have been used for flushing almost anything…old medical…is cool for me.

Thanks everyone for the info and congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread