I am 2500 wheats behind in my dating!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I open boxes and pull the wheats. And get them from the copper side of my Ryedale when I am done sorting. Then, I throw them into a wheat box, and later go through them and put them in rolls by dates. I mark how many of eacht date I have.

I now have a FULL box of wheats pulled and sorted but not yet catalogued by date. I'm a full 2500 coins behind on dating them.

I have about 11,000 already showing by date, but I've never been this far behind in posting dates on new finds. I guess I"m not as excited to date them as I was when I had 500 or so. LOL. But I'll take a weekend someday soon and go through them all. Get them dated and posted, so I know what I have.

Been finding a lot of wheats though lately. Been doing a LOT of pennies. The Ryedale has been working perfectly, the halves are still terrible, so my copper pennies are building up. I haven't sold any in a while, but have an offer of 1.5 cents each for a million coins if I want to sell a large batch. I mioght do that, to drop my inventory back down. I'm not quite there yet with what I have in storage right now, but getting close. And - that's up 50% from my cost, so sorting copper DOES still make sense. At least to me. And that doesn't include all the wheats I'm collecting. :-) I have four full rolled boxes of nothing but wheats and working on my fifth. Soon I may have to sell WHEATS, just for space. Gotta date them first though ...

Upvote 0

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
dawg did you get any good date wheats yet? The best i got was a 1931D

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you jfr. Sorry to hear the halves in Phoenix are still rough but hey metal value is metal value, a buddy of mine is hooked on cents.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that's awesome. I would be so excited to go through a whole box of wheats! Sometimes with penny boxes I look for errors and sort copper, but sometimes I do what I call "speed wheats" (taken from "speed rugs" on auction kings) where I just dump all the pennies out on a cardboard sheet and pick out all the wheats I see as quickly as possible. I them check all the dates at the end. I'm as happy as can be getting to check the dates of 15-20 wheats consecutively, maybe I'll take a page from your book and try to sort a bunch more!

Can you tell us your goodies from sorting that many wheats? I would love to hear

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
jrf30 said:
I open boxes and pull the wheats. And get them from the copper side of my Ryedale when I am done sorting. Then, I throw them into a wheat box, and later go through them and put them in rolls by dates. I mark how many of eacht date I have.

I now have a FULL box of wheats pulled and sorted but not yet catalogued by date. I'm a full 2500 coins behind on dating them.

I have about 11,000 already showing by date, but I've never been this far behind in posting dates on new finds. I guess I"m not as excited to date them as I was when I had 500 or so. LOL. But I'll take a weekend someday soon and go through them all. Get them dated and posted, so I know what I have.

Been finding a lot of wheats though lately. Been doing a LOT of pennies. The Ryedale has been working perfectly, the halves are still terrible, so my copper pennies are building up. I haven't sold any in a while, but have an offer of 1.5 cents each for a million coins if I want to sell a large batch. I mioght do that, to drop my inventory back down. I'm not quite there yet with what I have in storage right now, but getting close. And - that's up 50% from my cost, so sorting copper DOES still make sense. At least to me. And that doesn't include all the wheats I'm collecting. :-) I have four full rolled boxes of nothing but wheats and working on my fifth. Soon I may have to sell WHEATS, just for space. Gotta date them first though ...

Dude...are you sayin you have over a million coppers?!?! Impressive volume sir!!! I am happy with the 7,500 hand sorted coppers!!! Maybe I need to up the sorting!!!

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
copper is the best profit on paper, but only if you can continuously sell + have a source of loose pennies... I understand your silver situation in your city (not typical for most).....keep on culling is all I can say.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I love finding wheats especially since I found a 1914 D and 1910 S in a Brinks roll back in April.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who are these people offering to pay 50% over face for copper pennies? Do they pay shipping too?

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Who are these people offering to pay 50% over face for copper pennies? Do they pay shipping too?

Visit the mystical world of eBay. Happens every day.

jrf30, I run a Ryedale (thanks to you) and noticed that the zinc (reject) side gets some wheat action, too. They're usually earlier dates, so I started "double sorting" my cents. Takes twice as long, but I get some wheats that would have been 'rejected' to the zinc side. I run first time through with a 1980 cent then re-run everything using a 2011 zinc cent. I suppose it's twice the wear and tear, but when I saw wheats in the coin machine one day while I was dumping, I realized I wasn't getting everything I should have been.

As with everything else CRH, YMMV.

Thanks again for getting me started on the Ryedale.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, if you pay $18 in eBay/PayPal fees, but then you have $132, not $150.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not knocking anyone or CRHing for pennies, I am just trying to understand. Is there real money to be made in pennies? They can't legally be melted, so why would people buy them? Also, what is the extra draw of wheat pennies? How are they profitable? Is it just through LCS that they are? Just trying to connect the dots. I understand the silver, but am at a loss on the pennies and hope someone could explain it to me.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not knocking anyone or CRHing for pennies, I am just trying to understand. Is there real money to be made in pennies? They can't legally be melted, so why would people buy them? Also, what is the extra draw of wheat pennies? How are they profitable? Is it just through LCS that they are? Just trying to connect the dots. I understand the silver, but am at a loss on the pennies and hope someone could explain it to me.

Let me explain since I seem to be on a roll tonight (sarcasm). The deep pockets of Wall Street manipulate everything....everything! Copper has not really had its pop yet. When this happens, when copper finally gets its pop, the melt laws arent going to matter anymore. Scrappers will take your hoard with joy. A silver half dollar is 20+ times FV. Pretty soon, a copper penny will be worth 10+ times FV, making my 657 lbs hoard look scrumditiliumpious. Everything is in seasons....when is coppers turn. Clue...housing market is next.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You AZ dudes are serious about yer coppers! I've got 20,000 that I hand sorted (just to mix it up a little). I really would like a Ryedale but still don't know if the $ from doing copper would be worth using my dumps on pennies instead of halves.
I love sorting pennies still.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
V
jrf30, I run a Ryedale (thanks to you) and noticed that the zinc (reject) side gets some wheat action, too. They're usually earlier dates, so I started "double sorting" my cents. Takes twice as long, but I get some wheats that would have been 'rejected' to the zinc side. I run first time through with a 1980 cent then re-run everything using a 2011 zinc cent. I suppose it's twice the wear and tear, but when I saw wheats in the coin machine one day while I was dumping, I realized I wasn't getting everything I should have been.

YearsMaterial
1793–1857100% copper
1857–186488% copper, 12% nickel (also known as NS-12)
1864–1942bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)
1943zinc-coated steel (also known as 1943 steel cent)
1944–1946brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
1946–1962bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)
1962–1981brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
1982varies, (95% copper, 5% zinc) or (97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper)
1983–present97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper (core: 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper; plating: pure copper)

This chart may be good for you to use in deciding which coins to use as a comparison coin.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me explain since I seem to be on a roll tonight (sarcasm). The deep pockets of Wall Street manipulate everything....everything! Copper has not really had its pop yet. When this happens, when copper finally gets its pop, the melt laws arent going to matter anymore. Scrappers will take your hoard with joy. A silver half dollar is 20+ times FV. Pretty soon, a copper penny will be worth 10+ times FV, making my 657 lbs hoard look scrumditiliumpious. Everything is in seasons....when is coppers turn. Clue...housing market is next.

Anythings possible,but this is quite unlikely the market is quite stable

Unless the melt ban is lifted(will never be or not for at least 20-30 years) copper penny sorting and selling is a waste of time, i can make 4X as much 2X as fast searching halves for silver.

Last edited:

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So penny CRHing is not bringing returns now, but is a future investment then? That I can understand. With that being the case though, penny CRHing is going to be vastly more expensive to do than silver. The return on silver being the best at this time, simply because currently there is little to no return on copper (the only return being on Ebay to other hoarders). I am guessing that if you can get a machine to do your sorting, and you can do a massive amount, then as long as you have a steady clientele on Ebay, you can make a small profit now.

Is that about right, or am I missing something else?

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So penny CRHing is not bringing returns now, but is a future investment then? That I can understand. With that being the case though, penny CRHing is going to be vastly more expensive to do than silver. The return on silver being the best at this time, simply because currently there is little to no return on copper (the only return being on Ebay to other hoarders). I am guessing that if you can get a machine to do your sorting, and you can do a massive amount, then as long as you have a steady clientele on Ebay, you can make a small profit now.

Is that about right, or am I missing something else?

Right,its not worth the time or effort in reality though.

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
To answer a lot of the questions that came up. Penny hunting is NOT the worst thing to do if you are in Arizona. Halves are. I am up to 91 skunks in a row now. I've posted about it a few times now, but that thread always brings other issues, so I don' t keep saying it over and over. But here in Pheonix, a silver half is a RARE thing in a bank box. I did a YEAR LONG tracking of halves, nickels, dimes and pennies in 2011. I never did enough quarters to matter. The halves paid me less per hour in profit than the pennies did. Back east? Go for halves!. They are wonderful back there, and i always rejoice with your finds. Out here? Yes, the new sorting machine is real, and yes it "rejects" silver halves, just like my ryedale rejects zinc penniees from the copper ones. So Happy and I , both being from here, have pretty much given on on half boxes. But that doesn't mean we gave up on halves altogether. He still does some boxes here and there and I know he hits a lot of banks and does okay. I am the master in my area (North and west of him) of getting teller halves. Every week I go in and ask for pennies or dimes or even quarters lately (picking up the 2012 issues for my son's albums, and also collecting a few of these rarer quarters just for him for the future) and when I go in I ask for "All half dollars " they have. I may get $2 at one bank, $9 at another. Then, once in a while, I get someone who says they have a box. I TAKE it, even though I don't want it, because we should ALWAYS take ALL the halves. Even if you KNOW the halves a teller has is a dump, TAKE it. this way, the tellers learn that YOU are the one who "takes whatever we have" and they SAVE halves for you. Last week I had a better than average week. I got 1 1964 and 5 40% halves. Plus I got 2 sealed boxes I didn't want, both of which were skumks. LOL. So in about $60 of loose halves total, in all the banks, I got 6 silvers last week. But if I went in and asked for boxes, those give me almost NOTHING. So my time is wasted HERE looking for halves. Again - back east I 'd do NO pennies, and TONS of halves. But here, the game is different, and you adapt. Yeah, I might find a few more silvers if I hit them hard, but not worth the time. Pennies give me a lot. I get about 19% copper so far this year. I sell it when I want, but right now I'm hoarding. I sold numerous tens of thousands of pennies about 2 years ago, when I could easily get 1.6 cents per penny. I was one of those ebay sellers. To answer that post - yes, there were fees. So I didn't "net" 1.6 cents. But I still made about 35% on them. PLus I then cultivated some buyers, and they bought more from me later, off of ebay, and that was a pure 1.6X face sale. The price dropped, and I quit selling. As for the 1.5X face guy, that is a local coin shop. But he isn't interested unless I bring him a million pennies, and he wants it for a promotion. Worth his effort if he can get some publicity out of the million pennies. So I might sell to him and start over when I get there. I am close. And I can sell on ebay even now, but a little lower price, so I'm okay hoarding. I'm not thinking of hoarding for the long haul, as I can sell now and make a good profit, and then collect more. Which is why I sold so many before.

Guys, it depends on where you are. Pennies work here. Halves do not. So we play the game the only way we can. And this year, I have 5 90% Kennedys, 137 40% Kennedys, 1 franklin, and 20 proofs. Not bad for almost all of them being loose or CWR. I found 42 1964 and 301 40%ers in 2010, but that was with the entire year dedicated to heavy hunting of halves. this way, I'm doing 1/3 or less of that success in halves, but a LOT of pennies TOO. And I haven't even included the value of my older wheat cents. That increases the penny profits above just the copper finds. I have some NICE pennies. I'll put my current list up, even though it is outdated a little bit. Next post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread