This post is probably not worth reading

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it can't be as bad as asking "so where can i get rolls of coins??" :laughing7:

When sorting copper I never bother keeping 82's. From what I understand there are several varieties, and some are copper and some are clad. I know someone who takes a file to each one, and I'm sure others weigh them.

When hand sorting though, I'm sure that it is pretty common for people to throw back 82s since it's not worth bothering right now with all the available copper pennies. it's more worth your time to look through more coins.

So, will one day 1982's be the new 40%ers? Gold was $34.71 in 1945, and 67 years later silver was that price while gold is in the $1700s. Eventually when copper reaches prices we never would have even imagined, what we will call "95%ers" will be rare, while 1982s, while still 95%, while be 40%ers in the sense that they will be the easiest to find because there was a factor preventing their culling (although in the case of 40%ers it's lack of knowledge).

Thoughts?

HH

Upvote 0

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the US penny goes the way of the canadian penny it will be a copper rush to the foundries. IMO copper will fall during this period. after the initial sell off copper will rise and this would be the time to sell.

Any precious metal is worth sitting on if you have the space to store it.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pocket scale.

I weigh them and keep the copper ones.

Doesn't take all that much time either.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't due to convenience's sake. If I do sell, I have to convince whoever that my 82's are all copper.

I don't know if copper would ever rise to the price that sorting for only 82's will be worth it. If it gets to that point, I think we're all screwed.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not really sure what you mean by the factor preventing their culling? Anyways, when I find an 82 I just do a simple sounds check.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really sure what you mean by the factor preventing their culling? Anyways, when I find an 82 I just do a simple sounds check.

by "the factor preventing their culling" i was referring to a mechanism which would result in less of that type of coin being pulled from circulation. So for 82s this factor would be the effort necessary to identify the copper ones, and for 40%ers this factor would be the fact that people tend to forget that they are silver

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
accordselux said:
I just don't due to convenience's sake. If I do sell, I have to convince whoever that my 82's are all copper.

I don't know if copper would ever rise to the price that sorting for only 82's will be worth it. If it gets to that point, I think we're all screwed.

I agree with this.

I can usually guess by looking at them, but I am lazy and it's easier to just throw the '82's back than get in an argument over if it's copper or not with whoever I am selling with.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I think that the people with machines are doing a majority of the sorting. And since the machines work on composition alone, and not year, that will pick up the 1982s the same as any other copper year. And they should disappear at about the same rate as the 1981s. Only becasue one sorter with a machine doing 50 boxes a week is the same as 20 hand sorters doing 2 or 3 boxes a week. And thee are a LOT of machines being put out there nowadays. When copper goes up, and we reach the timing you are talking about, there will be even more out there, and more businesses actually doing it, with the machines that run 100 boxes in 3 hours. I saw one on a video that did that in Ohio (I think) last year. And they sort millions of pennies a week. Millions. I am up to 4 million on my little Ryedale, so I know how these big companies could do it.

My thoughts.

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverForBrains said:
When sorting copper I never bother keeping 82's. From what I understand there are several varieties, and some are copper and some are clad. I know someone who takes a file to each one, and I'm sure others weigh them.

When hand sorting though, I'm sure that it is pretty common for people to throw back 82s since it's not worth bothering right now with all the available copper pennies. it's more worth your time to look through more coins.

Drop testing works quite well, zinc coins make an unimpressive clunk whereas the copper coins ring brightly, almost like silver. I drop test all 82's I come across and throw the zincolns back and keep the 95's. I'd have to go back through for accruracy numbers but I believe it works quite well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread