I am building a tear drop type camper for prospecting.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I know a lot of you guys use RV's so I was hoping to get some advice on what features you really like or could not go without in a small tow behind weekend get away setup. Right now I was leaning toward a two battery, two panel solar setup like is talked about in Handy Bob's Blog "The RV Charging Puzzle". I plan on using the power mostly for lights at night, a roof vent, and to charge my phone and small camera so I can shoot more video while out prospecting. I am also dead set on making it extremely well insulated because that will help heating and cooling. I am thinking for the kitchen area I will just do a basic propane grill and 5 day cooler. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a lot of you guys use RV's so I was hoping to get some advice on what features you really like or could not go without in a small tow behind weekend get away setup. Right now I was leaning toward a two battery, two panel solar setup like is talked about in Handy Bob's Blog "The RV Charging Puzzle". I plan on using the power mostly for lights at night, a roof vent, and to charge my phone and small camera so I can shoot more video while out prospecting. I am also dead set on making it extremely well insulated because that will help heating and cooling. I am thinking for the kitchen area I will just do a basic propane grill and 5 day cooler. What do you guys think?
I joined different hunting clubs down south where members had campers. My was a 23 footer. A few had small tear drop trailers, but to be honest don't know how anyone could stay in one that only has room for bed, sink, stove and toilet and refrig. Admittedly though I am claustrophobic. Some of the things I got used to were:

TV and antenna or satellite
Microwave for cooking
Capability for electric heater without tripping breakers
Capability for electric water heater as propane leaks can be big problem and after awhile there are leaks both at furnace and water heater at least there was in mine so I quit using it because I was afraid of getting blown up in my sleep and furnace stopped and started all night and it was still cold when using propane.
Electric hookup or generator/solar to provide what is needed
Gas grill for cooking outside
As you can see, I didn't like roughing it too much.
I used air mattress pump to blow out water lines in winter when I left camper to go home so lines would not freeze and break. Still this was problem anytime there was low spot in line and water froze and broke lines. What a headache that was. Make sure to get lines and joints up off floor because that is where they usually froze. Otherwise have system for enclosing space around trailer under floor (underpinning). Now a lot of this only applies if you are making camper spot semi permanent.

Last edited:

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Well Astro, not sure if I can add much to your knowledge bank but I'll share a bit of my experience. I lived in a tear drop for about a year and a half of course that was 32 years ago, so as far as all the new gadgets out there I had none. If you're not going to be towing it constantly I think you lose a lot of benefits from a slightly larger rectangular shaped trailer. I would mostly take things like storage into consideration, from water, fuel, batteries, equipment, supplies, etc. My trailer had a tiny sink, a three burner stove, tiny oven, bed, table, closet and not much else. Things I would have wished for, water heater, toilet, heater, some sort of cooler. Oh yes it did have a decent sized frig.
So to stop myself from continuing to ramble, I would say think about how long you would be staying, the amenities that would already be where you're staying and how often and how far you would be towing.
Good luck you're a smart guy I'm sure it will turn out great.

OBD

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There are several things that I'd include in a project like this. Like OBD said, STORAGE!!!! Not knowing what you're going to be using to tow it with I'd go for as much storage in the trailer as you can manage. Make a list of everything you need to haul in it and then do a sketch to figure out your placement. You could even consider mounting a car top carrier up top to give you more storage room for some of the lighter items.

Teardrop trailers are usually pretty close quarters and unless you want to mount a holding tank under it a toilet isn't really an option. I guess that really would depend on what you are planning on using for the frame. I've got one of those Harbor Freight 1780 pound rated trailers and have been considering making a camper out of it but the frame rails are not tall enough to safely mount anything like a holding tank under it.

Knowing you Astro I'm sure it's going to come out looking and working great. Just be sure to keep us posted on progress. I for one want to see your work on this kind of project.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I did, when looking for a "rough country" camper, was take an old 10' non-cabover Alaskan pickup camper, (the ones that raise and lower) and mount it on a trailer. I shortened the trailer axle to make the track width identical to my Dodge 4x4. I've spent countless weeks in that rig. The camper is a 1976, and the upper half was rotted, so I completely rebuilt that. I have two batteries, and have never run out of electrical power, even in winter, when using the furnace. I've had that rig in places you would not believe. I think my total cost, to start with was about $2,500. $1,100 for the camper and $1,400 for the trailer. The trailer has a 5,000lb axle, and I lightened the springs. The only thing it lacks is an oven. I built a 12V portable shower setup, so I can shower outside. Heat the shower water with solar.
Jim

Last edited:

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I did, when looking for a "rough country" camper, was take an old 10' non-cabover Alaskan pickup camper, (the ones that raise and lower) and mount it on a trailer. I shortened the trailer axle to make the track width identical to my Dodge 4x4. I've spent countless weeks in that rig. The camper is a 1976, and the upper half was rotted, so I completely rebuilt that. I have two batteries, and have never run out of electrical power, even in winter, when using the furnace. I've had that rig in places you would not believe. I think my total cost, to start with was about $2,500. $1,100 for the camper and $1,400 for the trailer. The trailer has a 5,000lb axle, and I lightened the springs. The only thing it lacks is an oven. I built a 12V portable shower setup, so I can shower outside. Heat the shower water with solar. Jim

Mind sharing some pictures? Sounds interesting.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mind sharing some pictures? Sounds interesting.
I'll get back to you on that...lost my hard-drive last fall, and lost all my pics....need to take a few.
Jim

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AB, don't have trailer right now,but have had a few, and all statements above are correct ion size. A little bigger than a tear drop is better.
I can say 1 thing for a stove. I just purchased a Harbour Freight propane, 2 burner stove top last month. $37. Then a new regulater and 6' hose. $13. HF.
I filled my 5 gallon tank Oct 22. My wife heats water on it during the day,and we cook every meal at night on it. 2 burners. We have no gas(natural right now).
Mine is non auto start but they make one that is but a little more money. You should leave a window cracked when using in a small place.
Anyway,just picked up the tank and shook it and there is probably about a gallon still in it after 30 days. Stainless steel top,cast grates, and built very well. Has some xclent reviews.

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would like to build a tear drop trailer myself, or just save up for an army surpluse duece and a half to go camping in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread