Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A nod to backyards as a place to find historic items. All the celebrations, in the homes of your area, have been going on for decades. Think about all the targets in these yards from the graduations, birthday parties, 4th of July celebrations and Memorial Day etc. You name it. Tap those backyards, with permission and share those awesome finds with the family who lives there.
Best of luck!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I been at it for three years, although much more time this year

I have yet to find a 90%er but have found three silver rings this year, so I know I can find a coin when I go over one

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple ideas that worked for me research go online look at your local library books pictures of your area swimming holes old parks that might not be there anymore huge source of places to go also google earth is a great source. Many of the places I hunt in the woods ect I have found most silver on the pathways the off to the sides or anywhere else. Another thing those very faint signals you always here try just scraping an inch or so off the top of the ground and see if the signal gets better a lot of silver in those faint signals Good luck it will come for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You didn't mention jewelry. If your not finding it then I question your machine set up or your detecting technique or both.

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry,I forgot to mention that I have found 3 90% rings & 1 heart pendent. I know my equipment is in working condition.I usually hunt about 3 times a week

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relic nut,you are right ,I really do enjoy MD. befor this venture started I was ,& still am, head over heels into long range shooting ( 1000 yds. ) I am having a hard time splitting my time between the two.I do find myself spending more time MD than shooting ( My scores are proof ) HH GOOD LUCK

Hmm..how about trying both sports at the same time? At least you'll get your round casings and lead back..

Sent by carrier pigeon

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just my opinion but I think you should stop keeping score. Just let it happen and enjoy the time you have to detect. I tend to make my best finds when I am not expecting them. Sounds like you are hunting good places and enjoying the hunt. Rome wasn't built in a day and nether are nice collections.

HH RN

Agreed.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides knowing your detector and pushing its potential...

The top three "keys" to finds are as follows...
#1. Location.
#2. Timing.
#3. Persistence.

Now...
A little luck always helps as well... so... Good luck. :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Red Fox Bob,

I see you are using the White's V3 as your primary detector. I have and use (sometimes) my White's V3i, both machines have a "ton" of settings to learn how to adjust it takes experience and many hours with the machine. The factory programs need to be adjusted for your area, style...etc. Learn how the settings interact with each other and test them in your test bed with an 8" silve dime and 10" silver quarter. Tweak the machine until you can hit both with a repeatable signal, now go to your spots an look for silver. Remember, V3 and V3i will go deeper with a slower sweep speed, higher gain and sensitivity levels. The key is to test the changes in your test bed, a know target type, depth and orientation. GL & HH

Best Regards,

Doc

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 6 coins at 14 inches with the Minlab E-Trac .That's not many coins for years of detecting.
Also I have found over 20 silver coins that other detectors have missed in harsh soil conditions. I had a Whites DFX a few years ago and the deepest coin was a dime at ten inches and that was years of detecting.
You would not like the the MXT.
I thought about getting the CTX 3030 and watched some videos and i still think that the Minelab E-Trac is still the best detector i ever used and i have used a few.
If you should get the E-Trac practice on a dime and if your not getting a sound like that i would pass it up as junk.Every swing of that detector i hear a lot of sounds and i know they are junk. Good luck

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
red fox bob, I can relate to a point with your frustration and I never blamed my machine. It is a matter of getting used to it they say and to a point I can agree. Another possibility is is that there just isn't any silver where you have looked. Now you should go back over sites as I have found stuff I've overlooked, but be careful around bushes as poison ivy and glass are sometimes hidden there too and I'm speaking from experience on that. Also, keep in mind those bushes are a favorite place for dogs to do there business too. Are there and curb strips near you that have grass as many drop coins when walking near them or even sitting on them?

I'm some distance from you, but if you have a good site that you'd like to partner up on I may consider it depending on the site. There are many places in my area that are large areas to cover too, but I can't guarantee them to produce as they may have been gone over many years ago by others.

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
red fox bob, I can relate to a point with your frustration and I never blamed my machine. It is a matter of getting used to it they say and to a point I can agree. Another possibility is is that there just isn't any silver where you have looked. Now you should go back over sites as I have found stuff I've overlooked, but be careful around bushes as poison ivy and glass are sometimes hidden there too and I'm speaking from experience on that. Also, keep in mind those bushes are a favorite place for dogs to do there business too. Are there and curb strips near you that have grass as many drop coins when walking near them or even sitting on them?

I'm some distance from you, but if you have a good site that you'd like to partner up on I may consider it depending on the site. There are many places in my area that are large areas to cover too, but I can't guarantee them to produce as they may have been gone over many years ago by others.

Swaveab,Exactly where are you located ?

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good advice you guys have offered up. Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. Gives me alot to think about & apply in the field. To all GOOD HEALTH , HAPPY HUNTING,& GOOD LUCK

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 100's of old coins, rings, necklaces ect with nothing but my Ace 250. Thats over a span of 8 years or so, I don't know if I'm lucky or what but I have found quite a few unhunted areas and pulled up coins and relics that weren't all that deep [practical limit for a 250 on a coin sized object is about 7"]
Never really got into parks, not because I thought they are hunted out but because I can't tolerate large amounts of trash. I hunt in ghettos, I hunt in suburbs, I hunt beaches and all kinds of odd places because ny 250 is in my truck all summer long, so wherever and whenever the mood strikes I detect.

I do some research and try to find the lay of the land in my area 100 years ago and have had some success at that. I have upgraded detectors including AT pro for water, F75SE for better depth and just got an Ace 400 which I have barely used yet, but don't feel you have to spend $2,500 to find good targets, that simply is not the case. More swings, more dings more rings - Like anything else, you'll get what you put into it.

I've had my dry spells, went almost all of last summer with no silver coins and few rings, then towards the end of summer I lucked into an old hot spot when I yanked out dozens of silver and buffalo nickels, then went on a run where I found 6 gold rings and 15 silvers in the span of a week. Lucky ? Persistent ? Karma ? Who knows, but it just as well could have been you or anyone else, so keep at it, don't expect silver to fly out of the ground at you ,,, I look at every signal as a present, you never know what it is until you open it [dig it up].
Nature of the game, you will find alot lot lot more tabs, foils and bottlecaps than rings, but you can't safely ignore them else you'll pass up rings. I pretty much dig it all in jewelry mode, except at tot lots where I tend to ignore penny signals, but even them occasionally something good rings up in the penny range.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on what metal the gold in the jewelry is mixed will affect the detector reading.

I scored a 14 K pendant next to a sea wall because i was hell bent on retriving the "penny" i had been chasing.
The pendant is a gold/copper mix.

OP
OP
R

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swaveab, Let me know if you got my PM

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You're around some excellent land in MD. Obvious spots have all been hunted, all of which you listed.

Find old ground that's less than obvious to most. Research both old maps and aerials. Good detecting starts with good research.

Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread