I am looking for a adventurer!

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

I am in Florida with gold fever! No gold here! I'm trying to sell my place and move to Virginia. In the mean time I've been studying geology. I mapped out well over 200 gold mines in Virginia and overlaid the mines with numerous geologic features such as sediments, fault lines, volcanic rock boundaries, ect. More info than any sane person would use.

I found many similarities to known gold locations. Now I have a list of so many places to check out that it's making me crazy! I need to know if all my work was worth the effort. I want to give out a few locations to the people from this forum. I just need to know what part of Virginia you want to hunt! All are good with detectors!

Any takers?

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
nickmarch said:
Hello All!

I am in Florida with gold fever! No gold here! I'm trying to sell my place and move to Virginia. In the mean time I've been studying geology. I mapped out well over 200 gold mines in Virginia and overlaid the mines with numerous geologic features such as sediments, fault lines, volcanic rock boundaries, ect. More info than any sane person would use.

I found many similarities to known gold locations. Now I have a list of so many places to check out that it's making me crazy! I need to know if all my work was worth the effort. I want to give out a few locations to the people from this forum. I just need to know what part of Virginia you want to hunt! All are good with detectors!

Any takers?

I ran into to someone that has found a total of 2 oz of gold here. Never researched it myself but its here.

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
anything near Charlottesville Va?

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Nick,
I can tell you off the bat that the Buckingham area of Virginia along the James River has quite a few old abandoned gold mines. It used to be a hot spot in the 1800's. Buckingham is about an hour and a half SW of Richmond. One of my best friends is a local there and is on the board of supervisors in the county, so if you find something interesting, I might be able to assist you with getting permission as he knows everyone.

Phil

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
nickmarch said:
Hello All!

Any takers?

I've actually panned for gold in Northern Virginia, found some too. I no longer live in that area but I can tell you where to go for clues and even where to find some old mines etc. In the mid 1990's several firms looked at re opening gold mines in Fauquier County in a town called "Goldvein" (Honest) down off route 17. According to geology reports and old mining claims this "goldvein" runs from Washington DC down thru to Culpepper (where I used to pan on a friends land) to Orange county. These firms published a report in the local news that there was gold in the area, however since gold was then well below $400 an ounce, it was not economically feasible to start up operations again.

Gold can be found in most of the streams and creeks, lot of weekend panners on private land, some is on Dept of Wildlife land and off limits, research which is which. You can see evidence of old mine holes all over that area. Lot of civil war activety as well, many camp sites and hut sites visible.

If you are up in that area, stop in Warrenton and get a copy of a Map called Historic Fauquier County by Eugene Scheel, locations of many old "gold prospects" on it next to modern roads.

Word of caution, make sure you have permission, people get real funny about tresspassing in that area.

Best of luck

Floodcitykid

furmanorange

Dec 22, 2008
Gordonsville , Va
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1000
Nickmarch, you can go to Contrary Creek and pan for gold. theres lots to be found there it's in Louisa county right on 522 there use to be 6 or 8 mines in that area. just stay in the creek because you will get arrested if you don't

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
so on state land you need a permit?or is there open land?i would love to help you out i am off of work 7 months a year,and i love treasure huntin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread