I am looking to network with other people to find lost jewelry.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a business idea. I saw an ad for someone looking for a lost ring in Florida. Being in NJ I thought it would be great to have a network of metal detector enthusiasts throughout the country who we could refer to in such a situation.

Here is how it could work, but I am open for new ideas as well:
I have a source of "leads" of people looking for lost jewelry. I would refer to someone within the network who would charge a fee. I would get a referal fee. The opposite is true as well. You have a "lead" in NJ or the surrounding area, I go find the ring, and you get a referal fee.

What are your thoughts?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I am looking to network with other people to find lost jewelry for profit.

Sorry to Put a Damper on Your Idea Right off the Bat,
But Personally I find it Distasteful to Charge.

Of course this is a Personal Opinion.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

No worries. That is why I made the post. Personally I have never charged either. I have seen other people charge if they are succesful.

How about using the same idea gratis? It could open doors to good sites.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

jeff of pa said:
Sorry to Put a Damper on Your Idea Right off the Bat,
But Personally I find it Distasteful to Charge.

Of course this is a Personal Opinion.

Not sure if I would say it is distasteful, but
I think I would get more out of it by just finding
it for someone and giving it back. :)

have a good un......................

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
No worries. That is why I made the post. Personally I have never charged either. I have seen other people charge if they are succesful.

How about using the same idea gratis? It could open doors to good sites.

Now that I like.

I just Deleted an add Here for Someone who Charges.
As I said. It puts a Bad taste in my Mouth.

Would Love to Get to These people Desperate enough to Pay
First. And see the Smiles when they realize we Enjoy our Hobby ;)

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neil,
I would not charge an individual to find an item because I hope if I lost something someone would help me but I would charge a company. Most insurance companies will pay a finders fee on items found that they have paid a claim on and it could be 5 to 20 percent of the value. So if you are looking for a way to make some extra cash call a local insurance company and see if they will give you some leads. The claim forms usually list the area the item was lost and you may even be able to contact the person that lost it. Sometime the sentimental value of the item is much more then the dollar value so they maybe willing to help you find it. Just a thought.

With that being said I would be willing to help people for free. I'm also in NJ.

NJ

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
N.J.THer said:
Most insurance companies will pay a finders fee on items found that they have paid a claim on and it could be 5 to 20 percent of the value. So if you are looking for a way to make some extra cash call a local insurance company and see if they will give you some leads. The claim forms usually list the area the item was lost and you may even be able to contact the person that lost it.
NJ

Funny, the only insurance agent I approached with the idea said something like "nah, most people dont even have a deductable for itemized jewelry. They wouldn't want to be bothered."
I thought the same thing as you. Sentimental value is more important than $$.

I will use this forum as a springboard when I have a person looking for lost jewelry.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Count me in for the Denver area. I've done several here from the lost and found adds. As far as charging for the service, I usually just do it for the stories and pictures. I was looking for a $20,000 diamond ring at a local golf course, didn't find the ring, but when I got back to the truck there was a card from a woman realestate agent wanting me to call her because I have beautiful eyes LOL.
My wife still has the card LOL.
Dano.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, like i have posted before this was part of the business plans i had when i had my company open 8-9 years ago "BeachFind" . If the business panned out in my residence area i was going to branch out with either contacts or franchise`s up and down the coast. No you would not make alot of money and doubt it would be sole supporting job but fun yes. I hunted for a flat hourly fee (small fee) or a % of the items value so if the item was not found the hourly fee at least paid my expense`s if the item was found i came out a lil ahead. Before i would start looking a picture or indepth description was given so if other items were found they were the finders, and that was on a legal document. Learned the hard way on that, went to the beach to hunt a lost item, found a different item but same class (ring) and person hiring me claimed it, so futher hunts required the picture or indepth description, and any other item found was the property of the finder. Also a history record was to be maintained so if at a later date if the item was found the owner could be notified and item returned, for the fee.

No flames please just my opinion:
Pertaining to it being a hobby and finding for the shear enjoyment, I have hunted for items and found them for free yes it is a great feeling, BUT i was in the area so no cost was involved on my part. Now none of us are rich (well at least i don`t think we are) enough to travel many miles at todays gas prices just to try to locate a lost item for someone. So therefore it makes sense to say charge a small fee to cover your expense`s or a small finders fee if the item is found, to me that gives the hobby legitimacy. Yes people love freebie`s in this day and age heck me included, but at whos expense are those freebie`s, the person giving them. To travel to an area to try and locate an item cost us money in gas and travel milage, to hunt for an item cost us in equipment, so its not distasteful to want to charge a small fee to cover your expense`s. I mean face it without us in this hobby what is the chances of a lost item being found?

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
If you advertise it as a service and some one is willing to hire you there is 100% nothing wrong with charging a fee to recover lost property. Just my 2 cents worth. I would be willing if you have any thing in east Tennessee. If you are at the beach and some one ask you if you would try to find something they just lost and you are able to then It should be up to them to give you something for your time. If some one puts a add out asking for your help and offering a reward then take the cash. You have a $1000 machine time and money invested why not.

GAR

Greenie
May 19, 2006
Hershey, PA
I agree with Jeff. But if someone offers a reward maybe, and that is a big maybe, depending on the circumstancess. Charging a fee, NEVER.

George

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
I'm in. There are alot of lost items here in Myrtle Beach, SC.
I was thinking we don't charge, but it could be known we DO accept tips? :wink:
Shoot, I'll do it just for a reason to hunt. :thumbsup:
In fact, I have thought about doing this myself locally here in Myrtle Beach. I even made up some business cards and flyers to pass around hotels and such. Just never have moved with it. Maybe this is the motivation?
xXx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread