I Believe I Found a New Jersey Copper in KY !!!

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got out with My Brother today on a short hunt searching for a Civil war skirmish site. I had been wanting to try a field that i had heard stories of the farmer finding relics but it was still in crops so we decided to find permission of another field close by that had possibilities. We searched about half the field with what time we had and came up with just a couple pistol balls, some horseshoes and wire from the fences and a coin that at first I thought was just a toasted matron head or other common Large Cent to our area that would had still made the find of the day. I got the coin home and carefully got some of the dirt off and I could see a shield on the back. The first coin that i thought of with this shield was a 2 cent piece but i knew the size was wrong and than next thinking was a Civil war token but again the size was off and this shield was bigger. So I decided to give it a short peroxide bath to try and get more detail and than I measured it which came to 28.5mm . So after drying it I could see the word pluribus and part of unum going around the shield on the back of the coin and than on the front i Could see a image of a horse and the letters OV going around the rim. I jumped on google and found the New Jersey Copper, I still really didn't think this coin would be in Ky, so i searched for a alternative but it kept bringing me back to the Jersey copper, so I decided to do alittle more cleaning and with the right lighting I could see the handle bars of the plow under the horses head and alittle other detail that has me pretty convinced this Indeed is a New Jersey Copper and with it's measurement giving it a date of 1787 going by the website I checked.

The coin is really in rough condition but I am very happy to find this in my area, I will try to post some better close up pics.

I am working on a theory of how this coin came to be in this paticular field in Kentucky and if I'm right it's as good as the find itself. it just goes to show you never know what's going to be underneath your coil.

photo (2).JPG photo (1).JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sure what it looks like.........That's why I love this hobby, you never know what you are going to find..........or where!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I see the shield and I wish you luck positively identifying that copper. Anything is possible. I just found a King James 2nd coin in New Jersey about 40 years older than the farm I found it on is supposed to be...

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a NJ copper. I can see the horse and plow. Also looks like OV where it would say NOVA and the shield also stand out

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is for sure a New Jersey Copper. I can see it plain as day. Congrats from the Garden State!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, working on the variety now, big congrats on finding an elusive NJ copper in Kentucky! Don

ADDED: Tough one with what details are showing, but with the mostly straight plow beam, the N in NOVA appears to be starting even just around base of head, the spacing of the scroll bar from the head and the plow handle ends shape and distance below the scroll, narrow it down to two varieties in my opinion. 1787 Maris 31-L or a 1787 Maris 52-i, both similar. If you can see on the plow beam that it eventually turns up, then it is a 31 Obverse, if it stays straight to the end, than a Obverse 52. I just cannot say with certainty which one, but lean strongly to the M.31-L variety.
http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/new_jersey_coppers/maris_31L.htm

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/new_jersey_coppers/maris_52i.htm

Will look again at the pics later today. Don

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice addition to your collection and Don's survey. I wonder if this is the furthest west one is known to have been found?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice addition to your collection and Don's survey. I wonder if this is the furthest west one is known to have been found?

KY and TN are the furthest western STATES of NJ coppers being reported in the survey, so for States it depends if further west than others from the state. However the furthest reported found NJ in the survey is from Manitoba, reported found by a TNet member quite a few years ago.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill, working on the variety now, big congrats on finding an elusive NJ copper in Kentucky! Don

ADDED: Tough one with what details are showing, but with the mostly straight plow beam, the N in NOVA appears to be starting even just around base of head, the spacing of the scroll bar from the head and the plow handle ends shape and distance below the scroll, narrow it down to two varieties in my opinion. 1787 Maris 31-L or a 1787 Maris 52-i, both similar. If you can see on the plow beam that it eventually turns up, then it is a 31 Obverse, if it stays straight to the end, than a Obverse 52. I just cannot say with certainty which one, but lean strongly to the M.31-L variety.
1787 New Jersey Copper - Maris 31-L

1787 New Jersey Copper - Maris 52-i

Will look again at the pics later today. Don

Thanks so much Don, I sure wish it had better detail , I found it in a field that has seen way to much fertilizer over the years,lol. The coin itself doesn't have much detail, but it's definitely enough for me to proudly display it as a one of kind for me.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, what a killer find!

Not many of those will EVER be dug in KY. Congrats!

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy cow, what a killer find!

Not many of those will EVER be dug in KY. Congrats!

Thanks Will, I believe mine is the forth to ever been reported found in Kentucky, So I feel very blessed to had the opportunity to save this one.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! That is a goal for me here in Maryland. I want to find any sort of colonial copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread