I believe i found the reason for the pit on Oak Island and it wasnt for treasure.

gublube

Dec 13, 2010
I know I am a pretty strong guy and I certainly ain't that tall either. I know in my mind there is no way me or anyone else could dig down to a hole past 8 feet deep and just hand someone a bucket of dirt!

As my theory is the platforms are at certain levels, someone in the bottom of the hole filled a bucket with a rope to it raised by a person on the above platform and dumped the contents into another bucket and the person above hauled the dirt to his platform and so on until the person outside the hole dumped the dirt out and passed the bucket back down.

I think that may be why there was a block and hoist still in the tree, to hoist the buckeys of dirt up to dig deeper???

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
That has meant discounting geological evidence, but it has also meant discounting pictures, materials, and physical objects by outright accusing folks of being liars.

Let's be fair here...most of the evidence has disappeared over the centuries, if it ever did truly exist in the first place. What remains is evidence of...well, almost anything. Some of the evidence contradicts (or at least does not support) other evidence, like the carved stones. It's almost as if the true believers are searching out some sort of grand unifying theory to encompass everything that has been found (or was reportedly found in the past), even if those things have nothing to do with each other. That's how we wind up with Vikings ferrying a Templar treasure and the jarl of Orkney (under an assumed name, of course) to Canada. None of it fits, not at all, but some will try to make it fit anyway. I simply do not understand that.

I'm sure that they have similar things to say about me. They'll just have to believe me when I say that I do change my mind on things when I'm wrong about them, as the only thing that I dislike more than being wrong is staying wrong! :laughing7:

Heck, we finally found agreement on something though Dave. Oh happy day!

We seem to be in agreement on a couple of points actually.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
As my theory is the platforms are at certain levels, someone in the bottom of the hole filled a bucket with a rope to it raised by a person on the above platform and dumped the contents into another bucket and the person above hauled the dirt to his platform and so on until the person outside the hole dumped the dirt out and passed the bucket back down.

You've got the right idea. They could have even used a team to haul buckets all the way up. It's not inconceivable that draft animals were available for this purpose. The norse did successfully transport large animals to Greenland. It wasn't impossible at the time, although it was probably a serious pain in the ass. (Note the clever pun there.)

That having been said, it would have been a monumental undertaking, even with draft animals assisting. Getting those animals there would have required some planning and would have been a bit of a chore on its own.

I think that may be why there was a block and hoist still in the tree, to hoist the buckeys of dirt up to dig deeper???

But then the question arises as to why the block was left there. Why go through all of that trouble to bury something valuable, and then leave what was essentially a sign indicating that something valuable had been buried? Had no obvious evidence of a burial been left, no one would have started digging in the first place. If I didn't want something found, I would not give someone a reason to look for it. If I did want something found, I wouldn't bother burying it. So which is it?

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the one unifying theory that explains it all. It never existed. All other theories usually fall apart on their own deck of cards. Honestly, I would spend more time metal detecting around any landmarks on the island than worrying about the money pit. People have lived there for a long time, there must be a cache or two hidden somewhere.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning Rowannas: Ah but we have. We needed a ship, we have postulated on a logical one, a reason for being there, possibly a duaL one., again an unaccounted for true treasure, a period, also speculated upon via the coconut fibres, , etc., What is missing is why such an extensive work --- if all that has been reported is true?? Would "I" err fabricate?? yep, or rather more correctly, utilize my abilities of visualization. :laughing7::dontknow:

As for the loot, it is actually between Quintana Roo and the former British Honduras but can serve as a useful speculative point.-- go ahead ask my why ---snicker.:laughing7:

So gentlemen, lets get at it :occasion14::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2: your choice gentlemen.

Don Jose de La Mancha ( el windmill tilter )

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave I defy you to excavate to any depth and not leave a sign -- the first rains, or a bit of time, would leave an obvious depression which would alert anyone, so leaving a block there would not be a big thing,:dontknow: -- who knows, perhaps they intended to reuse it ???

Jose the Tilter !!!!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Dave I defy you to excavate to any depth and not leave a sign -- the first rains, or a bit of time, would leave an obvious depression which would alert anyone, so leaving a block there would not be a big thing,:dontknow: -- who knows, perhaps they intended to reuse it ???

I disagree that it wouldn't be a big thing. A depression might be worth digging and it might not be. I certainly don't take a shovel to every depression that I find on my wanderings. Leaving rigging gear hanging above the depression removes all doubt though. That might prompt me to go back to the car and get a shovel.

Remember, we're discussing an operation that supposedly buried deeply in the ground, in a very remote place. This would have been a pretty big operation. I find it hard to believe that they would have gotten that sloppy at the end.

Likewise, why all the cryptic clues? Why the carved stones and cross layouts and all the other silliness? Did someone want this to be searched for, or did they want it to remain hidden? It can't be both, but if the stories are to be believed, that's exactly the situation that we're left with. It's completely illogical.

NostraDanis

Feb 16, 2014
The Bluegrass
Primary Interest:
Other
If the block and hoist actually existed when the boys came upon the scene, why do we assume they were left there by whoever hid something below? In other words, why assume the rigging gear was left behind by the hiders, rather than some other seekers?

What if someone had been digging for a season or two on a small scale and had just refilled their pit between seasons. It was an extremely remote area and you would probably leave behind equipment rather than hauling it in and out. If that is the case, the boys "discovery" may have been the end of someone else's exploration. Did the boys find the ground to be surprisingly easy to dig?

It's just an idea; but as Dave has made clear, there is no logical explanation for the "hiders" to leave such equipment in place.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the block and hoist actually existed when the boys came upon the scene, why do we assume they were left there by whoever hid something below? In other words, why assume the rigging gear was left behind by the hiders, rather than some other seekers?

What if someone had been digging for a season or two on a small scale and had just refilled their pit between seasons. It was an extremely remote area and you would probably leave behind equipment rather than hauling it in and out. If that is the case, the boys "discovery" may have been the end of someone else's exploration. Did the boys find the ground to be surprisingly easy to dig?

It's just an idea; but as Dave has made clear, there is no logical explanation for the "hiders" to leave such equipment in place.

Perhaps this could explain the lights the boys apparently saw on the island.... I have never come across your idea in anything I have read on Oak Island to date and it is a fascinating one.

Thank you NostraDanis!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buenas Dias Nosotra, fresh hot cuppa coffee?

First, why assume that treasure hunters are intelligent :laughing7:

Second, so there was a block etc. I don't know about you others, but I stop digging, unless I have a specific reason, after a meter or so, so since it has been posted that the first platform (?) was about 10 ft' I am afraid that my interest would be long gone - unless I had a specific reason, which would not include a stray block. My assumption would be simply that someone 'may' have buried something heavy there, not deeply. A meter or do would settle that question.

Here in Mexico the country is loaded with depressions.from diggers for treasures.

I remember a case where I was assured there was a treasure, so after a 2 hr drive to the site, at a dirt crossroads, we came to an area full of depressions where people had been digging.

fter the usual scanning with an old Gardner with the 3 ft coil, which supposedly penetrated down to say 9 ft safely on a large target, closed off the operation, but instructed my contact to find the details of the supposed treasure..

In due time he showed up at my home and while drinking coffee in the patio watching the humming birds, told me the whole story.

Seems that a certain gentleman, while still drunk, had paused at the spot for a smoke & another swipe at the bottle. In the full moon light he thought that he saw a movement and a small fire, so being well indoctrinated in fires indicating a treasures, he dug a small hole, then gave up in disgust.

The next morning the first passerbyers noticed his fresh hole and decided that there was a treasure there and that he had failed to find it, so turned to with pick & shove. soon the area for about 50 meters, was eventually full of holes and the story has since grown, despite my efforts to spread the original story.

So in essence, I frankly would not have continued digging until I hit the first platform. Course I have lost treasures to others because I had not done a professional job - it all comes with the learning curve - but I have recovered treasures that others had given up on also..

A refill Nosotra ??

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. yep their block would have been safe with me.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe it was a ancient oil depoist in that one cone hole area and they dug it out to use for repairs , with years of washed out sea water to remove any traces of it being there .... WHATS YOUR FAVORITE COFFEE ?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
By nature, I seize on details. I'm beginning to realize that my approach may not work here, as the story has changed so many damned times over the years that no single detail can be analyzed by itself. It may be that there was no block and tackle, or the depression was actually a hole, or people were seen there the night before, or...who knows. All that we really know is that McGinnis saw something there that convinced him to dig, and to keep on digging.

You made a good point that I had not considered, Don Jose. Why dig all the way to the first platform? One version of the tale has it that stones or bricks or something were found at two feet, but unsurprisingly there's no trace of them. Again, the story has already changed so many times and exists in so many variations that it's difficult to tell what really happened.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd afternoon H-2 Charlie:my Favorite coffee ?? You must not be a vet of the older days, 'ANY'coffee is welcome.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. whatcha think has kept me alive all of these years to rankle poor Dave and Jeff??

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my favorite coffee is HOT

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Applecrack and others viewing this thread, the idea of a real treasure story brought to my countries shores has sent a tingling sensation up my spine since I was a young lad. But after reading Applecracks theory. And after reading countless stories related to ocean travel to our shores since the days of the vikings, I would have to think that Oak Island was a remote shipyard and not a treasure depot. History says that Basque fishermen frequented this area possibly since pre columbian eras. My thoughts are possibly related heresay, not written events. We have to remeber that old addage , loose lips sink ships. In modern times this would translate to keeping your mouth shut. All transatlatic ships needed there hulls scraped to improve perfomance on there long journey home. Thus you could drain a suitable cove perform your work and carry on, possibly for decades if not a couple of centuries. To me the site seems more commercial, industrial, than anything else. Just my own thoughts,

Farley

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To No One in Particular:

I think the main reason the "swamp dig" hasn't been done as most of us would do it (proper dam with culvert drains and pumps, excavators, etc) are environmental restrictions. I live in neighbouring New Brunswick, and I can attest to how confoundingly frustrating the government can be in terms of watershed regulations. Here in NB, I am not allowed to even use a dock on my lake without a "Watercourse Alteration Permit" (for which you have to submit an application, to which they will not respond, period, unless you go so far as to bring your elected representative to their HQ).

And nobody should get me wrong here: I support reasonable environmental protections. The Oak Island excavations, however, are in my opinion worthy of special provision- if the proponent prepares a comprehensive plan of the operations which meets an accepted standard. If something is down there (and it's my guess that there is, though I lean towards the more conventional theories of gold, jewels or silver), it's time to find out what it is.

Having said all that, I'd love a tour of the place- I work as a commercial diver here in NB (going on 30 yrs), and would be willing to paw around in that swamp for a week or two on my own time :D

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Okay probably not related but a question and a thought. How much higher is the ocean level now vs when all this was supposed to have happened?
Just thinking that traps of flooding tunnels were not. Way back when they weren't flood tunnels, they were dry. The rising ocean levels have just slowly flooded them.

Even without the ice melt to raise it, how many ships, planes, bullets, bombs, and just plain old trash have been dumped in the ocean? That alone would raise the ocean level slightly. So today, places that were dry are now wet. Pits that were dry are now flooded.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
I don't personally think that humans have dumped enough of anything in the ocean over the last 30,000 to change sea levels measurably. The volume of water being discussed here is on the order of 1.3 billion kilometers - a volume so staggeringly large that the human mind (which has problems with comprehending volumes to begin with) really can't grasp it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a block and tackle was left hanging over the pit, then there was no treasure in it. It was not dug to bury treasure but for some other reason. What if treasure was found and was never reported...wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. Are there any man made coffer dams on nearby islands?...just wondering if they are common in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread