I Believe That There Will Be A Huge Increase In Pulse Induction Metal Detectors This

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Because many places have been hunted out, many people have been looking for depth to squeeze out the last bit of depth on good targets. This becomes even more apparent, when the mineralization of both land and water increases......PI (pulse inductions) detectors punch through some the most highly mineralized places rarely effect the depth of a PI detector. Gone are the days when a PI detector required an external battery pack because of it's thirst for a lot of juice to make it operate properly. Today's PI detectors use standard AA battery packs with except able battery life. The old machines that just sounded off a monotone bleep, are now replaced with new technology. Gone are the days with zero discrimination, replaced with, although still not up to VLF detector standards, a simple discrimination which can differentiate between gold, silver and copper, some of the most sought after conductivity for relic and water hunters. Garrett's new ATX will also ID iron at depths of 4-5 inches. Not perfect, but allows you to leave some junk in the ground.

Garrett detectors have 3 PI detectors available, all water proof with extra bells and whistles as you progress up to the ATX.

Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II | Manufacturer

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_infinium_main_en.aspx

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_atx_main_en.aspx

Now, PI detectors are not for everyone, and if you are new to detecting, or regularly hunt areas just loaded with junk, I would recommend you not get one. However, if you relic hunt, hunt fresh/salt water or search for natural gold in highly mineralized soils, a PI detector just might be what you need to get an edge over all the other non-PI detector users. I am speaking from experience. It's a challenge, to go from a VLF detector loaded with discrimination features to a PI where you need to concentrate on the tone of the signal, and other tell tail signs of good/bad targets. But those who have mastered their PI, have also reaped the rewards of targets out of the zone for most VLF detectors.

hqdefault.jpg

addon.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting commercial for the ATX. The machine is heavy and clunky, but at $2,200.00 - $2,500.00 it is a fair deal. Despite the promises, don't expect to "discriminate" out much at all if you are trying to find Civil War Relics, or gold nuggetshooting out west. The machine does not compare with Minelab SD; GPX; or GPZ machines, but beats the Whites TDI to death! Many of us have been using PI machines in farm fields, Brooklyn parks, and Arizona gold fields for many years. Maybe the hobby is catching up? :skullflag:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having tested the ATX at the beach I can vouch it doesn't discriminate out iron even when set to do so, that ended any interest I had in it for use on saltwater beaches. It is also extremely heavy...

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Having tested the ATX at the beach I can vouch it doesn't discriminate out iron even when set to do so, that ended any interest I had in it for use on saltwater beaches. It is also extremely heavy...

It doesn't discriminate out iron, it ID's it with the iron check button. And it (iron check) is limited to depth and size of target. It works much better on dry beaches and farm fields. Heavy? Yes it is. I usually use the harness.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted an old school yard hard with my Garrett BFO many years ago, we naturally dug and removed all signals and found few targets below six inches, including coins back to the early 1700s as there was a colonial farm house across the street. Just for yucks I went back several years ago with my Infinity and darned if I didn't find anything but newer trash. Those old BFOs cleaned out all the old stuff pretty well. I still have the patience learned from beep and dig BFOs, but many these days are so used to all the modern bells and whistles that I am sure they miss good stuff by not digging it all. My Safari lies a lot anyways, my ATP too, so I still basically still beep and dig in most areas.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
I hunted an old school yard hard with my Garrett BFO many years ago, we naturally dug and removed all signals and found few targets below six inches, including coins back to the early 1700s as there was a colonial farm house across the street. Just for yucks I went back several years ago with my Infinity and darned if I didn't find anything but newer trash. Those old BFOs cleaned out all the old stuff pretty well. I still have the patience learned from beep and dig BFOs, but many these days are so used to all the modern bells and whistles that I am sure they miss good stuff by not digging it all. My Safari lies a lot anyways, my ATP too, so I still basically still beep and dig in most areas.

Good point. VLF detectors lose discrimination abilities as the targets get deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread