I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chub, The only two things I can think of that causes the issue you describe is DIRT (Y) or a worn out ejection claw. Both very minor simple to fix problems with any bolt action. Unless you have a very early Remington .22 bolt action. The claws are made of unobtainium Had to make an ejection pin for that one. Probably was not worth the effort for the value but it is now functioning properly. Can't get rid of an old reliable :)
Cheers

Perhaps it was the claw. I always kept everything clean and lightly oiled. Then again, could the ammo be inconsistent or out of spec? unlikely but possible?

Chub

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as Double barrel 12 bores go, whats everyones preference? Under over or side by side?

For clays I prefer the underover, everything else the side by side.

Chub.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whilts on shotguns I used to have a little Janssen .410. A cute little single shot. The .410 was the preffered weapon of choice by infamous Australian career criminal Neddy Smith.

Chub

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was a norinko skk. 7.62 ?? I thought the sks had the fixed 5 shot mag? anyway, chinese AK .

Chub

SKS had a fixed 10rd. mag fed by stripper clips. The AK and SKS use the same ammo. Norinco did make an SKS that took detachable AK magazines, I think it was called the SKS-M or SKS-D. The Chinese actually make good quality firearms, believe it or not. Of course, most of their designs are stolen - like everything else they manufacture.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps it was the claw. I always kept everything clean and lightly oiled. Then again, could the ammo be inconsistent or out of spec? unlikely but possible?

Chub
Did you disassemble the bolt and clean that? The extractor claw gets gummed up and stops working or it wears out and quits pulling the shells out. I could not get far enough out of spec to not extract it. You would burn your eyeballs from an exploded shell casing before that happened I would think.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as Double barrel 12 bores go, whats everyones preference? Under over or side by side?

Chub.
Side by side looks great especially with double exposed hammers. But I will take the Citori over it any day. I have 2 earlys a 1973 and a prior to that Belgian Both are full mod fixed choke and I shoot AA Trap with both of them. Never have qualified AAA but I am pretty sure that s the operator!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Chub.
I shot trap on a police team with my Mod12. Never shot skeet so no use for an O/U. I did have a S/S once but just for fun. I used to trade guns like some would trade baseball cards. I owned just about everything. ╦╦Ç

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need the OU for doubles in Skeet. That said Skeet makes me crazy. Never saw the value in it. High house Low house lead this much that much. Very difficult game to play holding a Budweiser.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need the OU for doubles in Skeet. That said Skeet makes me crazy. Never saw the value in it. High house Low house lead this much that much. Very difficult game to play holding a Budweiser.
The buds were past around only after the guns were secured. Shame on you. ╦╦Ç

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Over under or side by side does not matter if beer cans are involved.
Production wise,regulating side by sides to point of aim/ point is a pain ,enough to favor over and unders.
Rifle shot gun combo's are a hoot ,and unowned by me drillings look quite interesting.
Takes away from the being like potatoe chips mentality though.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me personally the worst killing while I was there took place in the small and very poor town of Rouen. The place where Jean D' Arch had been burnt alive at the stake. I was only less than 30 minutes away from there when those two punks went into the only church there during the daily mass and brutally cut the 89 year old priest's throat while he was on the altar giving the mass at noon. They ordered him to get down on his knees first and he refused! If only I hadn't have gotten stuck in traffic I KNOW that I could have prevented or at the very least tried to stop it. While I wouldn't have actually went into the church I would have definitely noticed the 2, young Muslims going in and could have alerted the authorities. The key is being proactive rather than only reactive! Another probably little known fact is that if you are connected and wealthy enough to join "private gun clubs" in France you can actually not only carry but silencers are legal as well. They are also pushing out the "criminal elements" away from the large, wealthy tourist cities and into the countryside where once again it is the common people who have no armed police protection and cannot own firearms for protection! There are killings and assaults on women all of the time in those areas but as usual those never even get a mention in the news here. My brother lives in the Pyrenees' there and they think they are safe there but nobody is really. This is why standing up for gun rights here in the U.S. is crucial and pray that it NEVER becomes like that here! I'm going back to France and other places in Europe when a friend of mine in Geneva, Switzerland is available and off duty. I hope things are better but I highly doubt it... >:(
You have a commitment and concern not seen in many. My hat comes off to you (while bowing low). Terry

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buds were past around only after the guns were secured. Shame on you. ╦╦Ç
Not a good game for a one armed bud drinker? Ha, I think you know by now My sarcasm does not trump gun safety? I knew a guy that shot trap one armed and was pretty good BTW. I was shot by a hunter with ONE eye. (That is true)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone see the video of Trump giving the hat to the Marine? Although the other marine was saluting, this one was not. Note: A Marine NEVER salutes anyone, even the president, if the Marine has no cover on his head. He did us other Marines proud! ╦╦Ç

EDIT: I'm post number 300, Chub! Great. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to own an M76 sub-gun Smith and Wesson's clone of the Swedish K. Class III stamp and all. Rock and role, baby! ╦╦Ç

images.jpg

Last edited:

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
I used to own an M76 sub-gun Smith and Wesson's clone of the Swedish K. Class III stamp and all. Rock and role, baby! ╦╦Ç

View attachment 1474867

Speaking of "used to own" Terry, I used to own a British Sten Mark 3. I bought a "parts kit" gun from Shotgun news (remember them?) back in the 80's bought the tube from another supplier and milled it out and welded it together. I think it came out better than originally issued as I took great care and tig welded all parts.
Held on to it for several years then as I got older and more paranoid (some would say wiser), I chopped it up and again it was sold as a parts kit.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Chub. The M1 carbine was TERRIBLE as a combat weapon. (not the M1 Garand.... a fine rifle)

I'm not going to second guess a jar head (and God bless 'ya) but the M1 Carbine was favored by some because it was light and handy. If I were knocking on doors moving through Belgium or slogging through thick growth in the Philippines I too might consider swapping my 10 pound, 44 inch, eight round Garand for a five pound, 36 inch, 15 round carbine. That didn't go "Clink" to let the enemy know when your were out of rounds. Dug in at 200 yards is different than across a hedgerow at 20 yards.

But it is a sucky caliber. There are stories of it being defeated by the wool winter coats of the PVA in Korea.

Just as there are times when a dumb, 'ol pump shotgun is still desirable, the carbine beat a pistol for support troops.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not going to second guess a jar head (and God bless 'ya) but the M1 Carbine was favored by some because it was light and handy. If I were knocking on doors moving through Belgium or slogging through thick growth in the Philippines I too might consider swapping my 10 pound, 44 inch, eight round Garand for a five pound, 36 inch, 15 round carbine. That didn't go "Clink" to let the enemy know when your were out of rounds. Dug in at 200 yards is different than across a hedgerow at 20 yards.

But it is a sucky caliber. There are stories of it being defeated by the wool winter coats of the PVA in Korea.

Just as there are times when a dumb, 'ol pump shotgun is still desirable, the carbine beat a pistol for support troops.
Charlie, your opinion is GOLD, as far as I am concerned (BTW OORAH, tnx). Yes, the M1 Carbine had a niche but I have faced the NVA and VC in close battle. Believe me, when you KNOW they are in front of you, you would find a way to sling a Ma Deuce into the fray! ╦╦Ç

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please share! Favourite guns, shooting stories, amazing shots, accidents. Anything gun related.

Here's one for the "amazing shot" category. We have a farmette (I guess a "gentleman's farm") of 20 acres and raise chickens and until recently a few sheep. One day I was in the basement and I heard THE ADMIRAL yelling from upstairs "He's in the barnyard! He's in the barnyard!" I ran out the basement door (house is on a slope) and a coyote was chasing chickens around the barnyard across a creek from the house.

I yelled up to my wife "drop down my rifle (kept beside the kitchen doors on the deck) and she did. By then the coyote had a chicken in it's mouth and was running downhill along the creek. I loaded the single-shot rifle and ran to the bridge we have across the creek. I keep the scope on 4X as habit. At the time it was an older 4X Weaver so I had no choice. Just as she disappeared into the brush 200 yards away at the far end of our pasture I fired a desperation shot to at least scare her.

Then a chicken ran out of the bushes and scrambled up the hill as only a flustered hen can.

I went down into the woods and there lay a coyote hit at the base of the skull with a .223 REM. I'll take the credit but it was a 1:1,000,000 chance.

ginCnsp.jpg

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie, that shot was not one in a million..... it was 1 of 1. All others are history. Good shot! ╦╦Ç

Well, look at that! I'm poster 300.... AGAIN! ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread