I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Can't say I have much fear of man or death to make carrying a gun worth it to me, despite my father suggesting it. Black bears are statistically very unlikely to attack in populated areas such as my own. When I delve into the ghetto to do questionable things I do clutch my mace. I'd just rather accidentally spray than shoot myself. lol Men have never really messed with me (as much--EVERY woman has been harassed or assaulted) because I'm tall, hold my head high, and walk like I own the place. I guess I just don't really understand living in daily fear unless you have people that depend on you. My motto has always has been, "Today is a good day to die" (thanks, Star Trek)! I know where I'm going when I die so that's settled (in a nice deep hole.) Statistically most gun deaths occur in the home, and most women are murdered by people they know...pretty predictable factors. And I primarily detect in countryside or wooded areas...the safest place one can be. Most predatory animals are far less threatening to humans than popular myth dictates. I think a nice deep breath could benefit this wary world!

Edit: wow I rambled much longer than anticipated. Nothing personal here. Just haven't slept in a....oh, good long while. Cheers

It is a common belief of non-gun people that people who carry are doing so out of fear. I carry not out of fear ,but just as matter of being prepared. Simple as that.
I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you wish you had a weapon to defend yourself or a loved one. Like most people, you probably will never be. I probably wont either. That doesn't mean that it wont happen! Bad things can happen anywhere and anytime.
I probably wont have a fire at my house, I still have a fire extinguisher.
This irrational fear of inanimate objects (the gun) is what I don't understand.

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Carrying guns while in wood where big snakes are is a good idea.

Imo, when in snake country, snake chaps or boots are your best protection from snakes. A gun will not protect you from a snake bite. Like guns, you have to respect them, not fear them.
I would not dispatch snakes. They are not out there to hurt you. They are just going about there business as you are. Give them some distance, leave them alone and they will leave you alone.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imo, when in snake country, snake chaps or boots are your best protection from snakes. A gun will not protect you from a snake bite. Like guns, you have to respect them, not fear them.
I would not dispatch snakes. They are not out there to hurt you. They are just going about there business as you are. Give them some distance, leave them alone and they will leave you alone.
....But most of them are delicious!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ferral "Today is a good day to die" (thanks, Star Trek)! I know where I'm going when I die so that's settled "

I left this post alone because of this line and that I did not quite know how to respond to a statement like this? The way I read it is, If a bad guy comes and presents himself to you with a gun, it is just your day to die? I for one love my life and those around me. I want to live as long as possible, until I can't function on my own, Then I am good with dying. Until then, I will take ALL measures to preserve it!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FM, I commended your post. I read yours again. I deleted mine. ╦╦Ç

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this morning I picked up a Ruger #1 .458 Win Mag Don't ask me why but if you did I would probably tell you "because it is a Ruger #1"!! Does anyone have any ammo for it?
I am afraid to look at what this stuff costs. Seriously

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For ammo , you could try Oscar Mayer.....Har, har.:laughing7:

Midway has some Hornaday 500 grn. rounds at 4.35 each.
A brass saving roll your own proposition if you get real ambitious on round count.
Nice rifle design though. They hold their value. Not sure about the clap your shoulder blades together calibers though...:D ( Kidding. Congrats on the acquisition.)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this morning I picked up a Ruger #1 .458 Win Mag Don't ask me why but if you did I would probably tell you "because it is a Ruger #1"!! Does anyone have any ammo for it?
I am afraid to look at what this stuff costs. Seriously

Midway USA $86.99/20 Hornady, $104.99/20 Federal Premium. Ouch! Hope you have reloading equipment!

I recall a great story. A fellow brought one to a range and said to his friend. "This will kill a tiger". After shooting it once his friend said: "I believe you, but how do you get him to try shooting it?"

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midway USA $86.99/20 Hornady, $104.99/20 Federal Premium. Ouch! Hope you have reloading equipment!

I recall a great story. A fellow brought one to a range and said to his friend. "This will kill a tiger". After shooting it once his friend said: "I believe you, but how do you get him to try shooting it?"

How about this?

https://youtu.be/sP0CBaW9FEI

I don't carry all the time but when I do it's just a Glock 9mm. In Ga we can have them loaded where ever in the vehicle without permit. As far as carrying while detecting? That depends on a lot of things....

Lately, I've been detecting my own property, so I usually have it on my side, which I would anyhow. There are a lot of reasons why. My own comfort. Strange people wonder in at times and no clue what their intentions are, or what they are on. I've had a run in's in the past. I usually don't have too much fear when I'm by myself, but when my wife or child is with me then the fear level goes up, I'm the one that is supposed to protect them, and I can not imagine being in a position where I couldn't or at least try! The gun is just a safety precaution. A way to become "equal" because I'm not a MMA fighter or even close. :laughing7: I need some way to have the equal power. Especially on my own land.

Most other places while detecting? It just depends where(since I don't have a CCW) or who is with me. If my wife is with me? I will usually carry anyhow depending on where we are. Again, CCW or not, It's MY job to protect her and I will do what it need to.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Your right to carry shouldn't make people uncomfortable. No need to be hauling a gun around schools, beaches, ball fields and so on. The places most people metal detect are public areas where everyone is just trying to have some fun. If you feel so threatened and intimidated at these places that you need to carry a weapon, maybe you should avoid them and detect in the woods or on private property.
Yes to carry around a school is a very bad thing.Also it is not good around ball fields & beaches.. I have to agree with you there..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The advantage of surplus ammo.

We been feeding the Ma Deuce a LONG time (84 years!). Brilliant design.

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,courage comes from the soul not a gun. TP

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A courageous soul with a gun beats a corrupt soul without one hands down.

If they both have guns it boils down to training, tenacity and tactics . . . including the advantage of surprise on either side. They surprise you by shooting up a restaurant - you surprise them by effective return fire.

Or throwing the pepper shaker if you chose not to be armed.

But usually it's just a quiet night and everyone has a pleasant meal and no on knows who is carrying what. That's sociability at it's finest.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say I've never feared someone with a gun. But 99% of the people that I've run across carrying, whether concealed or in the open, I had no fear at all of. This state allows it in your vehicle with out permit. I haven't heard of any problems. That means anyone that, isn't a felon,is a citizen, and is of age, can drive around with one in there vehicle loaded. I'm not afraid to go on the road! And it actually makes me feel a little safer, if something does happen? I would hope someone would stop to help!!

I don't understand the fear....Well...I might....but we can't talk about it here. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread