I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
If I'm out in the woods or a rural area Detecting on my property & it's snake 🐍 time. I hate Copperheads & Cottonmouth's! I've heard of Timber Rattlers there but have never seen one I just use .22 bird shot ammo. However with MO now having a noticeable population of Mountain Lion, Hogs & Bears I'm seriously underprepared! On that property I don't worry about people at all.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Yesterday I saw the movie “Hell or High-water.” There’s a scene where the two main characters rob a bank in a small Texas town. As there getting in their car everyone in the street opens fire on the car riddaling it with bullets. As I’m watching Im thinking everyone carries a gun in Texas. What are they thinking. Made me think of this thread.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I saw the movie “Hell or High-water.” There’s a scene where the two main characters rob a bank in a small Texas town. As there getting in their car everyone in the street opens fire on the car riddaling it with bullets. As I’m watching Im thinking everyone carries a gun in Texas. What are they thinking. Made me think of this thread.

Not everyone here carries, but I can think of other states that would suit criminals and their tomfoolery much better than Texas.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m watching Im thinking everyone carries a gun in Texas. What are they thinking.

Wait a minute. What is who thinking, the Texans or Hollywood?

Most people that carry know that they are ultimately responsible for each bullet fired. Its one of the ten safety rules that are in the manufacturer's instructions included with any new firearm- "Be sure of your target AND beyond."

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hollywood. It was filmed entirely in New Mexico according to the credits.

Take nothing you see on TV or in the movies as realistic firearms use or operation.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup,that was a chore reading through all these posts lmao.Theres a few people here with some pretty screwed up ways of thinking,yeah im talking about you snowflakes.I dont think I have to mention any names:laughing9:Their stupidity gives them away.To all the rest,Stay healthy,stay armed.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Take nothing you see on TV or in the movies as realistic firearms use or operation.

Long ago, I watched a movie on TV that had this 110 pound, triple A cup gal, playing the part of a cop. The bad guys are racing away in a car, and the female cop pulls a .38 snub nosed revolver and opens fire. The car explodes like she was shooting rockets. Geeze, I thought that was realistic???

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Long ago, I watched a movie on TV that had this 110 pound, triple A cup gal, playing the part of a cop. The bad guys are racing away in a car, and the female cop pulls a .38 snub nosed revolver and opens fire. The car explodes like she was shooting rockets. Geeze, I thought that was realistic
I use to love how realistic the A Team was with the bullets bouncing off of the corrugated tin,which in all reality a strong pellet rifle would have no problem penetrating:BangHead::laughing7:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont hide behind cinder block walls either:laughing7:

There is a you tube video showing what happens when a sniper shoots a bad guy through a cinder wall..... large blood splatter on the rear wall. ╦╦Ç

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I grew up in a family of hunters and fishermen. Mom was an active hunter before I was born and dad never gave it up. Guns were just part of our lives like much of the other outdoor gear. Fast forward to today when I go out exploring, or even out riding my motorcycle on my own. I don't expect trouble, but being female makes me a more likely target. I have my permit and generally have a firearm with me. Ironically in the areas that I tend to travel, folks aren't put off by a pistol or long gun. They are more likely to ask my how I like it or tell me that they have.

Joanne

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in NYC. Unless you are in law enforcement,, it is very, very, difficult to get a gun permit.
Ironically, this post was started on July 14th, 2017.
That is the day I closed on my house in Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania. I live in the Pennsylvania Wilds. Lots of people here come from a family of hunters. I now have a CCP.
Many of the places where some of my fellow treasure hunters go, are natural habitat for rattlesnakes. I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed or able to protect myself if the need arises.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0289 (2).JPG Rattlesnakes won't bother you. I took this guys photo this past summer while hiking in the Pa Wilds. I've never met a rattler I didn't like. Too many times, they crawl away before I can get a photo.:icon_thumleft:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While stream fishing for trout a thousand light years ago.A handgun saved me a lot of agony.When a timber rattler showed up in the same 2'x3' sand bar I was standing on in the middle of the stream.Thank you Samuel Colt :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1527434 Rattlesnakes won't bother you. I took this guys photo this past summer while hiking in the Pa Wilds. I've never met a rattler I didn't like. Too many times, they crawl away before I can get a photo.:icon_thumleft:

You sure that's a rattlesnake? Looks like the Eastern ratsnakes around my house - but they won't bother you, either. I have lots of them around the barn and they are welcome rodent control. Milk snakes, garter snakes, ringneck snakes as well.

sp_blackratsnake006.JPG

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie, it is a rattlesnake. There's only one rattle on it, the rest are broke off. This was one of four I found that day. There are black rat snakes here also, but I find more rattlesnakes then rat snakes.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"One rattle".

Nothing worse than a stealth rattlesnake!

Rumor (and the DEC) has it we can get timber rattlesnakes in this region but I've never seen one.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20171106_163133.jpg
I came upon these two the other day...luckily preoccupied with starting a family.

Chub

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread