I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a shovel, a Mora, and a can of mace, if someone is gonna shoot me, go ahead and do it. If I was up in the artic circle, the savannah, or jungle I would definitely carry a larger caliber handgun (one shot knock-down kinda caliber). Anywhere where you are going to have large carnivorous mammals. Somebody will say, what about black bears or cougars/cats. If a cougar is hunting you, chances are you are already dinner, and bears..Mace.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Illegal for me to carry a can of Mace in NY - but I can carry a concealed pistol (with a permit). Go figure.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It doesn't make me uncomfortable, actually just the opposite. A gun to me is a big sign that states "I'm afraid I'm going to get beat up or mugged and I need to carry a gun to protect myself". Kind of sad and pathetic, actually...

I was referring to women and children at the beach or at a school. After all the nut cases shooting up schools and other public areas recently, most people are very uncomfortable with a someone toting a gun around in public.

I hear no complaints about my carrying. No young ones peed themselves or cried or anything similar.
Even those who rarely knew I was carrying did not express any concern.

Perhaps you live where people are all in fright.
Here they understand that not only do other than those with mayhem in mind carry ,but that those looking to use a gun in a felony risk having a gun used on them.

I met a gal left for dead after being shot repeatedly in a robbery. Only a co worker drawing fire and being shot also saved her. Though she will never be whole again.
You want to jump in and get shot when some one else is being shot ,go right ahead. I don't think you would though with your fear of guns. So what cha gonna do? Right ,nothing.

When I need relief from deadly assault faster than a speeding emergency call or police car your kind of help ( none)is not going to change anything ,is it?
I'll keep my own council on whether or not I should carry.
Regardless of who is timid about it, if they even know.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When seconds count the police are only 20 minutes away.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't count on it Charles. In 20 minutes we can be shot many times, rob and the killer can get away fast. In Connecticut, for adults, we can carry Mace and or Pepper Spray. We are not allow to carry guns in public beaches and parks. Good hunting and good luck.

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always one in the pipe for me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Average 911 response time is about 9 minutes and can be as long as a 24 hours. Many locations are 20+ minutes. A lot can happen in 9 - 20 mins, I prefer to be an armed citizen rather than an unarmed victim.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Average 911 response time is about 9 minutes and can be as long as a 24 hours. Many locations are 20+ minutes. A lot can happen in 9 - 20 mins, I prefer to be an armed citizen rather than an unarmed victim. When the police arrive to draw the chalk line, I prefer it not be around me or my family.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking from personal experience getting shot HURTS. The next encounter I prefer not to be the one with the holes.

Digger X

Apr 10, 2017
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, MD 1030 Gold Digger ll. Deteknix Xpointer Huntmate pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a 1911 Defender always.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a shovel, a Mora, and a can of mace, if someone is gonna shoot me, go ahead and do it. If I was up in the artic circle, the savannah, or jungle I would definitely carry a larger caliber handgun (one shot knock-down kinda caliber). Anywhere where you are going to have large carnivorous mammals. Somebody will say, what about black bears or cougars/cats. If a cougar is hunting you, chances are you are already dinner, and bears..Mace.
The carnivorous mammals you need to "gun up" for walk on two legs and live in cities! ╦╦Ç

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The carnivorous mammals you need to "gun up" for walk on two legs and live in cities! ╦╦Ç

They don't all live in cities, some play banjos and are known to like to hear folks squeal like a piggie. :laughing9:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They don't all live in cities, some play banjos and are known to like to hear folks squeal like a piggie. :laughing9:
Of course my statement was pretty broad but I will add that rural areas have more guns per capita and are much safer for it..... except for areas where the possession of banjos is higher than guns. (paddle faster, I hear banjos!) ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
115 responses in three days? Yes, Chub, we needed a gun thread! NICE! ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just up-graded my NRA Life Membership to Benefactor. Been life since 1984. I will also get my name engraved in stone at the new NRA building going up in VA. YES! ╦╦Ç

OOPS.... may have been to endowment. I'll have to re-check. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

Ima digger

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Free bird, I don't want to get personal, BUT: Not everyone is physicaly equipped to Kick other peoples behind. Have you noticed that there are small built adults in the world around you? I don't intend to fight with, or fight off anyone, of any size. I don't think a trip to town should require that. I have the right to go anywhere in the USA I want to. So I carry, so I have leveled the field, as far as I can. I am not going around afraid, I am simply going about my business. Thank you, Ima

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Free bird, I don't want to get personal, BUT: Not everyone is physicaly equipped to Kick other peoples behind. Have you noticed that there are small built adults in the world around you? I don't intend to fight with, or fight off anyone, of any size. I don't think a trip to town should require that. I have the right to go anywhere in the USA I want to. So I carry, so I have leveled the field, as far as I can. I am not going around afraid, I am simply going about my business. Thank you, Ima
Well said, Ima. Glad to see you posting some more. Let's add small females, elderly, infirm, and those confined to wheelchairs and similar. Tnx for your comments. Terry

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I ever get in a fair fight it's because I haven't prepared well enough.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair fight means ending the threat, to your advantage, as soon as possible.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread