I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like me....I carry anywhere and everywhere I can....church, walmart, on the road,shopping, etc.....I usually carry a .357 or a Ruger 9mm....depending on conditions.....

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't usually carry on me when I hunt...but I usually have it in truck door pocket.....if I go out in woods to hunt, then yes I carry....usually carry to church, shopping,walmart , etc...have Rossi .357 2" or a Ruger 9mm concealed....love guns, so this is good thing

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just up-graded my NRA Life Membership to Benefactor. Been life since 1984. I will also get my name engraved in stone at the new NRA building going up in VA. YES! ╦╦Ç

OOPS.... may have been to endowment. I'll have to re-check. ╦╦Ç

Had ya beat by 2 years until you upgraded. I did the Life thing when they were running them for like 200 and figured that at 20/yr I only had to live 10 more years to beat the game. Then they sold us out on the select fire thing in 86.
And then they've done nothing since to even attempt to correct that mistake. (talk don't count)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't usually carry on me when I hunt...but I usually have it in truck door pocket.....if I go out in woods to hunt, then yes I carry....usually carry to church, shopping,walmart , etc...have Rossi .357 2" or a Ruger 9mm concealed....love guns, so this is good thing
That way you can run back to your pickup to get your gun if there is a problem? Im not bagging on you but really? :) You are from Arkansas, You are supposed to be setting an example for all of us!! Cheers

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That way you can run back to your pickup to get your gun if there is a problem? Im not bagging on you but really? :) You are from Arkansas, You are supposed to be setting an example for all of us!! Cheers

Hey ,you see a guy carrying a truck door around , don't assault him......

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free bird, I don't want to get personal, BUT: Not everyone is physicaly equipped to Kick other peoples behind. Have you noticed that there are small built adults in the world around you? I don't intend to fight with, or fight off anyone, of any size. I don't think a trip to town should require that. I have the right to go anywhere in the USA I want to. So I carry, so I have leveled the field, as far as I can. I am not going around afraid, I am simply going about my business. Thank you, Ima

You don't need a gun to level the playing field. Pepper spray, a stun gun (legal in most states) or a billy club are all perfectly good weapons to defend yourself without the use of deadly force. As I've stated before, shooting an unarmed person is going to get you a LONG prison term in many states.

If you live in one of the 24 states listed in this article, you MIGHT get away with it. But if you live in any of the other 26 states, you will be prosecuted and you will go to jail for shooting an unarmed person.

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-23-states-that-have-sweeping-self-defense-laws-just-like-floridas

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a Slightly different note. Is anyone into cross bows? I am looking at a Barnett ghost 420. Are they any good? Are cross bows any fun? I don't have a lot of knowledge of them. Recommendations? Avoid? What say yea

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I ever get in a fair fight it's because I haven't prepared well enough.
"Fair fight " is a Hollywood invention, not based on reality. ╦╦Ç

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a Slightly different note. Is anyone into cross bows? I am looking at a Barnett ghost 420. Are they any good? Are cross bows any fun? I don't have a lot of knowledge of them. Recommendations? Avoid? What say yea

Tough to conceal and a poor rate of fire. There are better defensive weapons. ;-)

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trdking, I got a no longer produced PSE Toxic, 150lbs draw.. It is a compound with a scope that has a ladder rectile for various ranges. So far all have have shot with it is practice, but I am real confident with it out to 50 yards on stationary targets. I have not killed anything with it but I think I'm getting a deer tag this year. Haven't hunted deer in about 15 years. One of my friends frequentley rocks deer with an Excalibur recurve , 250lbs draw, 150 grain broad heads on 350 grain bolts, IIRC. My PSE is designed to shoot 125grain on 325 grain bolts, way less speed and energy than the Excalibur.

But I can keep my PSE inside of 6" from point of aim offhand at 50 yards. About what I do with my recurve bow at 20 yards.:tongue3:

Edited to add-

I don't really know but the rummor is that compound crossbows don't last as long as recurves. That is the advice I got from my friend with the Excalibur.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trdking, I got a no longer produced PSE Toxic, 150lbs draw.. It is a compound with a scope that has a ladder rectile for various ranges. So far all have have shot with it is practice, but I am real confident with it out to 50 yards on stationary targets. I have not killed anything with it but I think I'm getting a deer tag this year. Haven't hunted deer in about 15 years. One of my friends frequentley rocks deer with an Excalibur recurve , 250lbs draw, 150 grain broad heads on 350 grain bolts, IIRC. My PSE is designed to shoot 125grain on 325 grain bolts, way less speed and energy than the Excalibur.

But I can keep my PSE inside of 6" from point of aim offhand at 50 yards. About what I do with my recurve bow at 20 yards.:tongue3:
I have shot compound bow and really like it. I have not shot a cross bow. I think mainly because cocking it is a PITA. Have been thinking about getting one to play with to see if I like it. Calif basically has no restrictions what so ever on Bows. and they have a hunting season for them so why not? Just interested in any tips on how to select one besides hey that looks good.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cocking a heavy crossbow with a stirrup ain't too bad IF you use an old school goatsfoot, Or, if you use the string and tackle(pulleys) cocking system which is incorporated to be used on most modern crossbows. There are also crank cockers but to me that seems like a lot of claptrap to carry around. The string and tackle will fit your pocket.

My friend with the heavy duty Excalibur uses the stirrup and string and tackle cocker. It is great exercise, but not too overwhelming.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't need a gun to level the playing field. Pepper spray, a stun gun (legal in most states) or a billy club are all perfectly good weapons to defend yourself without the use of deadly force. ...

Don't need a gun to level the playing field? Are you so wrapped up in your own self that you haven't noticed that there are many people who aren't (to be kind) very athletic? You think the average female can take on a mature male in his prime? I'm willing to bet you've never even been in a fistfight.

And Wrong. A 'billyclub' or a sap is considered by the court to be a deadly weapon if carried for self defense. You may be able to argue your way out of it in court, but the burden will be on You if you use/carry one and are arrested for it. And from what you say, I believe you live in one of the jurisdictions that would aggressively prosecute you for it.

Tim, do everyone a favor. Especially do it for yourself. Do a Ride-a-Long with your local PD/SD on a Saturday night.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Older style Excaliburs are wider and some more weight to them. But they rock.
Newer ones get more costly and speed is the driving force in sales. The older ones spit just fine though.
I built up an Exomax and sold it. Kept an Axiom. I'm not into biggest and best( $$$ and good bye arrows ect.) ,so would consider a Grizzly model if buying another.

The stand out likes are being able to change a string myself without a press ,and to be able to adjust brace height too.

One thing besides lots of comparison shopping I would recommend would be watching crossbow's fired in slow motion.
Lots of stress . Keeping a complicated bow in tune through lots of shots , and parts and service can be a consideration.

When Excaliburs were known for keeping it simple ,their new models ( for multiple reasons) are a little different.
Some good buys for older models on the market ,but do compare....

Pull two bolts and the Excaliburs I've handled can fit in a double long gun case. They do make cross bow cases though.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns kill people, plain and simple. You want to shoot someone outside of battle, that's on your conscience not mine, I know guys who did it as warriors and they still struggle with it. If you are worried about someone shooting you, chances are you don't have permission to be there or shouldn't be there period. Everything else is just dust in the wind brothers and sisters. If someone is down on their luck, has societal problems, or even a substance abuse problem, I'm going to let them take my stuff. I ain't to proud to loose a few hundred bucks, beats getting shot. Everyone has an opinion, I respect that, just sharing my opinion. Debate and free speech make this world go round, express yourself.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns kill people, plain and simple. You want to shoot someone outside of battle, that's on your conscience not mine, I know guys who did it as warriors and they still struggle with it. If you are worried about someone shooting you, chances are you don't have permission to be there or shouldn't be there period. Everything else is just dust in the wind brothers and sisters. If someone is down on their luck, has societal problems, or even a substance abuse problem, I'm going to let them take my stuff. I ain't to proud to loose a few hundred bucks, beats getting shot. Everyone has an opinion, I respect that, just sharing my opinion. Debate and free speech make this world go round, express yourself.
Well Said, Everyone has a right to an opinion and I respect yours. Cheers

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NO WAY! NO WAY! Guns do NOT kill people. Guns are inanimate objects. Left alone, they just SIT there. PEOPLE kill people.... sometimes with guns. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread