I Bought Two Coin Silver Spoons c. 1800 Crafted By My Hometown's Premier Silversmith

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out on the southeastern tip of Long Island, NY where I live, I occasionally find old broken eating utensils while metal detecting. These are basic, utilitarian, rural farm utensils made of pewter or iron. Of course successful farm families could have owned fine sets of silver tableware. For whatever reasons, I have not discovered any while metal detecting. Most likely it was a form of hereditary family heirlooms passed down for generations and melted down when worn out. Or sets were broken up or stolen during hard times.

In the town center we did have an accomplished silversmith, David Hedges, born June 14th, 1779 and died Jan.1, 1856. Lived and died in the same town, serving as a County Assemblyman from 1825-33 in addition to serving as a Captain in the local militia. He was a silversmith residing and working on the oldest part of Main Street near the town's burial grounds. His ancestors settled the town during the mid-1600's. Today there is an Inn which still bears his family name. Since I am a lover of both metal and local history, I began to search for some of his work. Silversmith's crafted some of the finest and most beautiful enduring works of their times. I wanted some examples to examine and cherish and for the karma of placing them among my found contemporary objects.

The serving spoon with coffin end pattern is 9" long and weighs in at 49.2 g of .900 coin silver with an appraiser giving an estimated date of 1801. The coin silver teaspoon with fiddleback pattern is 5 7/8" long and weighs in at 16.5 g. with an estimated date of 1810. Although he lived until 1856, it is thought that the first decade of the nineteenth century was his most prolific as his entry into local and regional politics took up his time. The wealthiest family in the region shows in their ledgers gold and silver objects made by him 1804-1809.

The 1831 US Half dollar is for size and material comparison.

Attachments

• 20230805_190732.jpg
    20230805_190732.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230805_190803.jpg
    20230805_190803.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An additional note. The silverware is monogrammed LMP. I know from early town records the principle early names beginning with P were Paine, Penny, and Parsons. Searching the headstones of the two earliest burial grounds, I found what may be a match for the original owner. The only match I discovered was a Lewis Parsons deceased in 1850.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread