I cant think of a title

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
I can't think of a title

So I was out hitting some estate sales this morning, and I found some goodies--a couple of vintage Springbok puzzles, a pair of Westmoreland salt and pepper shakers, some desperately needed hedge clippers, and a bottle of one of my favorite colognes for a song--and in the process of all of this I drove past this one spot... A big lot that has been vacant as long as I can remember. I've never seen any activity there, nor is there any sign that anything was ever even there. It isn't in a particularly old part of town, either. But today I noticed that there was fresh dirt showing. >PERK?< So after I hit all the sales on my list, I went back to the lot to check it out.

I parked and got my detector out of the trunk (never leave home without it, heh), and walked out to where the dirt was. I could tell right away I was going to be disappointed. The dirt had been hauled in and dumped there. Soon though I noticed that there was a good bit of old brick, pottery, and broken glass in the mix, so I kept swinging. Nothing. I spotted a second spot of dirt way over on the other side of this huge lot, so I went to check it out too. I couldn't tell what the deal was there. It sort of looked fresh, sort of looked dumped, maybe dug, who knows?? Anyway it was full of junk and garbage (as if those weren't the same thing) so I prepared to leave. As I was walking back to the car I noticed *way* over on the other side of the lot another spot of dirt, as opposed to the tall weeds that were everywhere else. As I got closer, I was dismayed to see that once again, it was fill dirt that had been brought in. I noticed however, that where they had been operating the machinery to bring in the dirt, they had disturbed a couple of spots--maybe a total of 10 square feet, if that--where they had uncovered the original dirt and squelched out the weeds. I swung my detector over the disturbed area and got a nice penny-sounding signal. When I saw what literally popped up out of the ground like toast, I absolutely could NOT believe it. All I could do was stand there and say "HOLY S___" over and over and over. I have found several of these over the years, but this is my first 'type-1', and I don't think any of the others I've found were in this good of shape.

I didn't find anything else at all. Just that beauty. eheheh

Attachments

• 070106.jpg
    070106.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 842
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Re: I can't think of a title

Thanks for all the great comments, everyone!

LOL @ Brian's title suggestion! Actually, my problem isn't being unable to come up with a title, my problem is not being able to pick from all the titles I came up with! ;D

The WG shakers were in the 'Old Quilt' pattern.

LOL @ quarterrific !! ;D :D ;D Nope, I've never used that one before. heheheh

.....I sure am wondering what else is out there under all those weeds.....

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS

Outstanding !!

Not sure if everyone knows what the significance is regarding a "Type 1" or not.

( Hint: Nekked boobies ) :o

don't forget to tip her a dollar.

;)

allsmith

Jun 1, 2006
north cental ohio

your avitar cracks me up 67!!!! cant stop laughing here :D :D :D :D :D it fits so perfect!!! yeah i think thats what i would look like too if i found that coin!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D,, awesome congrats wtg!!!!!!!!!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I GOT A GOOD TiTLE!

"Never leave home without it!" ;D

Wowwwwweeeeee! ML! Isn't she a beauty! Congratulations!!!

Soooooo happy for you!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Why THANKS you guys! (and gals!)

Nana that is a good title indeed. I think the one I almost used that I like best is "Dangit I only found one coin"--but sarcasm doesn't come across well in print. Still-that ended up being true all day. I went to that second site I mentioned and didn't find one keeper of any kind. It was so junky my detector sounded like it was playing bad techno music.

I would like to apologize for using underscores in my previous posts. But what else could I say when I saw this flying through the air but "Holy Silver!"? And when I saw what kind of coin it was, "Holy Standing!"? And when I saw the awesome condition and intrinsic beauty "Holy Sweetness!"? And when I realized it was the early variety "Holy Scarcity!"? I couldn't help myself. Sorry.

I am also now lamenting that little mark on the rim at about 8-o'clock, since that was my handiwork. I fully admit to digging recklessly--I had been finding astounding amounts of junk and was done with it. The soil was such that digging in that fashion popped out nice big cone-shaped clods, but in this case I obviously caught the coin's edge and flipped it up in the air. You should have seen me at the second site--I was meekly poking around like I was trying to dig up a butterfly. :D

Thanks again everyone. Y'all are great!

A

agbonanza

WTG!!! a real beauty you found there!! I need to get out and md more...HH

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

:o That is one beautiful coin! I would have had chest pains if I found that! lol Congratulations! SWEET!

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Thanks everyone!

Groundfisher: I actually found this in some dirt that was original to the site--it was just the fill dirt that caught my eye from the road.

I'm hoping I can get all my stuff done today in time to go back to that lot and scope it out some more. The parts without fill dirt were VERY weedy, but who knows? I doubt that coin was out there all by its lonesome....

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Holy cow, that's purdy! Shoot, just seeing that picture is almost enough to "make that face."

Good job, and I hope you do get back there.

HH
Nan

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, that SLQ is in great condition, congrats! HH, Mike

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Thanks you guys!

I did go back, and all I found was a memorial cent--and I found that the place is packed with metal debris. I also think that the 'fill dirt' is dirt from the same site that for whatever reason is being moved from one spot to another. I could be wrong, but it sure looks like it. Anyway, there is still some heavy equipment parked out there, so maybe they will uncover something for me. :) The majority of the site is still just weeds.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice standing liberty.I bet you almost couldn't believe your eyes when that sucker popped up.What kind of springboks did you get? I sold a round "Birds of Prey" last year on eBay for over 46 dollars.Not bad for the buck invested.Some of those are really collectible.Sounds like some nice finds all the way around. 8) 8) :)

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Thanks Randall and Diggum!

The Springboks have been good to me over the years too (I've been selling on Ebay since '98). Especially the round and octagon ones, and certainly any of them that were made before Hallmark bought them out. These two are both nice early round ones--both from 1965--"Bouquet of Flowers" and "Song Birds". And both a buck. ;) :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions