Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there's no excuse for not getting out much to detect, but it seems lately I just haven't had the chance.
Here are some of my finds from the last few hunts. Some from the 1800 plantation property pasture, and a few from the 1818 property soybean field.
I guess my best digs were the 3-ringer and the two arrowheads (surface finds). Nothing too exciting. ::)
Any idea what kind of buckle this is and from what era? It was found close to the 3-ringer. CW troops camped here, but I have no clue if it is that old? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

The highlight of my weekend was being able to dig through an old shed that was falling apart at a house that was being sold.
I was given the green light to take whatever I wanted, since the owners were going to be renting a dumpster and just throwing everything away. Besides a dried possum, I found a lot of neat old things including this cast iron 15 gallon cooking pot, and a butter churn crock with a "3" on it.
Any idea of the age or value of either of these two pieces?

Also found old bikes, trikes, chairs, two man wood saw, tools, and much, much more.
I felt like a kid in a candy store. :thumbsup:
I just set up a booth at an antique store recently, so some of these things will come in handy.

Thanks for looking & have a great week folks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-162S.JPG
    MVC-162S.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,309
  • MVC-163S.JPG
    MVC-163S.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,302
  • MVC-164S.JPG
    MVC-164S.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,303
  • MVC-165S.JPG
    MVC-165S.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,306
  • MVC-166S.JPG
    MVC-166S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,306
  • MVC-167S.JPG
    MVC-167S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,289
  • MVC-168S.JPG
    MVC-168S.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,296
  • MVC-169S.JPG
    MVC-169S.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,294
  • MVC-170S.JPG
    MVC-170S.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,300
  • DSCN3779.JPG
    DSCN3779.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,302
  • DSCN3781.JPG
    DSCN3781.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,286
  • DSCN3782.JPG
    DSCN3782.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,282
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
Love them old tricycles.........bring back some memories ::) The things people just want to throw away. Some of those old trikes can bring a nice dollar bill on e-bay. Maybe you can start your own American Pickers, Doug :laughing9:

Thanks Ron.
Those old trikes are super cool. :thumbsup:
I was thinking about starting my own shop called "NC Barn Busters" or "NC Shed Divers". :laughing9:
My Dad was an expert at buying stuff and garage sales and country auctions and turning a buck. So many stories I could tell. ;D
Have a good one buddy,
Doug

Old_Okie said:
Love others peoples stuff!

By the way, the iron thing you called a buckle is actually a link from a chain use on any number of farm inplements. I've changed lots of them on a hay loader.

HH

Old Okie

Thanks for the reply & the ID Okie. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

kuger said:
That is a rendering pot.When I worked along the coast they were always in peoples yards from the whaling days,I tried to talk a few people out of one....never worked!

Kuger,
Thanks for the info on the pot. That sucker was buried in the corner under some wood. I couldn't believe my eyes! :o
-MM-

sandcreek4 said:
Hi ModernMiner! You really did good by cleaning out that old shed. That stuff is exactly what's selling good in the antique shops around here in Oklahoma. My sister has a little shop and we buy and sell all the time. I'll tell you some of the prices she gets around here on stuff like that: the childs chairs (you have three of them) sell for about $20 each--people hang them on the wall in childrens rooms, the cast iron cauldron(kettle) is worth about $100 (probably more!), the old iron(?) green bed frames sell for $100 or more(you need to paint it white and shabby chic it :D), the crock storage jar....check it really good to make sure there's not a makers mark or potters mark on it...some of those sell from $100-$300, look on the cornbread cast iron pan to see if it has a name, those usually sell for at least $15-$20, those old tricycles are awesome---I bet the American Pickers guys would buy those in a heartbeat---and is that a bicycle frame I see? You know how that skinny guy on "Pickers" is always digging those out to buy! (You should research those if they have names). The wooden cannisters(flour, sugar, ect.) sell for about $20-$30 for the set, the wooden gameboard is really collectible too--it might be worth $25-$35, even those old windows and doors are selling good---people love to use them to decorate with or if they are fixing up old homes, and that old wagon is really cool--lots of people use those to put potted plants in or as decor for a childs room.
I think you've made one of the best "finds" I've seen in a long time!! I hope you make a fortune off that stuff!! :hello: Good thing you got a booth at the antique store---but you might need more than one! ;D

sandcreek~~~

Sandcreek,
I can't thank you enough for the info & prices. I had no clue what some of these items were worth. I'm an antique nut myself. :thumbsup:
By the way, my wife is heading to Tulsa tomorrow. Hopefully the snow is gone. ;D
-Doug-

KylePA said:
I love the arrowheads, Dug! Hit those fields hard and look for the concentration of iron! :headbang:

Sir Kyle

Thanks buddy. I'm still looking for those Colonials. ;D
-Doug-

extractor said:
WoW that was a flash from the past. Great post i like it. :coffee2:
Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
Man some good finds there :thumbsup: I like em ;D

Thanks guys!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that one arrowhead with the bifuracate base is worth posting in artifacts for a positive I.D.
What is the statue a Bronze? I may be interested in that if selling shoot me a pm.
Is that not fun or what cleaning out an old barn. Nice finds and good luck with your Booth .
TnMtns

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I need that cast iron pot to cook some Gumbo in :headbang:!!! That would be perfect. Some good wood around it smoked up with some Shrimp Gumbo bubblin like witches brew!! Nice finds by the way.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Wow, did you ever clean up. Nice old finds there, I like it all. The old iron wash pot is killer, I've eaten a lot of cracklings and chitterlings out of one of those. Awesome finds Doug. :thumbsup:

Is that soldier metal detecting? :icon_scratch: I'd love to see some his finds. :D

I agree with TnMountains, post that arrow head on the artifacts forum for an id. It's a good one. :icon_thumright:

Good Luck
Randy

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Yes that one arrowhead with the bifuracate base is worth posting in artifacts for a positive I.D.
What is the statue a Bronze? I may be interested in that if selling shoot me a pm.
Is that not fun or what cleaning out an old barn. Nice finds and good luck with your Booth .
TnMtns

Thanks TnM.
Good idea, I think I will post them in the Indian artifacts section.
That statue (Army guy) is just plastic. I found him at the flea market a few weeks ago for $1.00 and had to have it. ;D
-MM-

RPG said:
Wow, did you ever clean up. Nice old finds there, I like it all. The old iron wash pot is killer, I've eaten a lot of cracklings and chitterlings out of one of those. Awesome finds Doug. :thumbsup:

Is that soldier metal detecting? :icon_scratch: I'd love to see some his finds. :D

I agree with TnMountains, post that arrow head on the artifacts forum for an id. It's a good one. :icon_thumright:

Good Luck
Randy

Thanks RPG. Yep, he's detecting for land mines I believe. ;D
By the way, what the heck is "cracklings"? :dontknow: :icon_scratch: Is it something you can tell me without getting booted off of Tnet? :laughing9:
-Doug-

zaxfire69 said:
Man I need that cast iron pot to cook some Gumbo in :headbang:!!! That would be perfect. Some good wood around it smoked up with some Shrimp Gumbo bubblin like witches brew!! Nice finds by the way.
That must have been one handy pot! So far I've heard of it used for gumbo (thank you), cracklings, chitterlings, fat, lard, whale lard, stew, clothes,....................... Any other uses? :icon_scratch: :tongue3:
-MM-

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM I love all that stuff :o it's amazing how fast it fills up garages . My garage collection of junque and fine antiquities is scavenger heaven. CMD ;D

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
MM I love all that stuff :o it's amazing how fast it fills up garages . My garage collection of junque and fine antiquities is scavenger heaven. CMD ;D

Thanks CMD.
I've contacted American Pickers about your garage. You should be getting a call from them soon. :laughing9:
-Doug-

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
ModernMiner said:
RPG said:

Good Luck
Randy

Thanks RPG. Yep, he's detecting for land mines I believe. ;D
By the way, what the heck is "cracklings"? :dontknow: :icon_scratch: Is it something you can tell me without getting booted off of Tnet? :laughing9:
-Doug-

Pork rinds. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rind

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Wow... good catches! Treasure is everywhere. Now, let's get down to brass tacks... how much for the dried possum? :D

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
We use those iron chain links on a corn picking machine. They are easy to replace and very durable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread