I could use advice from the *real* relic hunters.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to where I found the Spanish silver to see what else
might be lurking there. I consider myself an experienced coin shooter
but, when it comes to digging relics, a relative newbie.

So, the REAL relic hunters can help me figure out this
recipe, If one takes some iron,

2017 (180).jpg

Some lead,

2017 (181).jpg
2017 (182).jpg

....and this one gave me a heart attack!
It rang up as 90 in all directions! I even did
my waltz with my ATP!

It's a very large hunk of lead inside a metal jacket. :BangHead:

Anyway, and you add about a tablespoon of flat buttons....

2017 (185).jpg

Also, knowing that a seated dime and a Spanish 1/2 real came from
the same area. Does that mean that this place is hunted out? Time to
move on? :icon_scratch: :tongue3:

2017 (183).jpg
2017 (184).jpg

Also got this strange piece. No clue what it is
but it does have some sort of design on it. :dontknow:

2017 (186).jpg
2017 (187).jpg

I had a great time, that's worth a bunch!
But, I was just a little disappointed when
I found the spoon wasn't silver and even
though I set a personal record for finding
flat buttons in one day, none of them cleaned
up very well. :dontknow:

2017 (188).jpg
2017 (189).jpg
2017 (190).jpg

Could only read something on one button.

2017 (191).jpg

Blingie's off in a huff somewhere. Nothing
good nuff for him I guess. But, this little thing
Fishy has picked out returned a smile to my
face when I got it home and rinsed it off.

2017 (192).jpg

When those lil flowers showed, I somehow
felt like the whole day was just plain worth it all! :)
Can you imagine how long ago someone lost that!?
Just wish it had a name on it.

So, anyhoo, thanks for peeking once more folks!

Upvote 22

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like it is an early to mid 1800's site. The lead ball is a modern 'foster' slug (contamination from hunting) and the jacketed bullet is modern also (I think jacketed bullets were used since around 1900)... I'm not sure about the small ringed bullet. You'll get that a lot at these old sites, as folks will still be hunting in the area. It was already said, but yeah, pick out all of the iron... and the magnet idea is a good one. You'll find more as you go along.

I am currently working a site that is packed with iron and one day as I was digging a 'high' iron signal (a piece of old wood stove), I got it out of the ground and re-checked the hole and heard a tiny chirp... after ten minutes of removing nails with the pinpointer, out came a little pizza-slice looking bit of copper. It was a cut large cent (1/4 cent)... one of the coolest items from the site and no way would I have found it had I not cleaned out the iron first. Keep at it and be thorough! Good luck!!

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went to my iron patch today and pulled a 1925 merc along with a bunch of square nails.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like it is an early to mid 1800's site. The lead ball is a modern 'foster' slug (contamination from hunting) and the jacketed bullet is modern also (I think jacketed bullets were used since around 1900)... I'm not sure about the small ringed bullet. You'll get that a lot at these old sites, as folks will still be hunting in the area. It was already said, but yeah, pick out all of the iron... and the magnet idea is a good one. You'll find more as you go along.

I am currently working a site that is packed with iron and one day as I was digging a 'high' iron signal (a piece of old wood stove), I got it out of the ground and re-checked the hole and heard a tiny chirp... after ten minutes of removing nails with the pinpointer, out came a little pizza-slice looking bit of copper. It was a cut large cent (1/4 cent)... one of the coolest items from the site and no way would I have found it had I not cleaned out the iron first. Keep at it and be thorough! Good luck!!

Yep, I agree. There can be a LOT of work involved in trying to clear an area. The rewards can be good. But, ya know, you sort of broached a subject that I've been thinking about lately. The concept of turning something fun into....well....work.

I understand that finding some exceedingly special item would be fun to the max. But, for the most part, digging every signal in an effort to lessen the iron masking and maybe uncovering a very special coin, involves a LOT of actual work!

For some, that's what this hobby is all about and I say absolutely! If that's your bag, then, have at it! I do know about this because I've been a young, gold fever driven, TH-er AND, now, an OLD, just trying to keep moving, treasure "walker". ;)

The idea of clearing a spot of iron is a great idea! But, we have to understand what we're letting ourselves in for, if we do.

If we are trying to be the ultimate in efficiently getting to EVERY single "good" target in a place. Then, it's a full time job. One needs to study technical reasons, like iron masking, different machines, coils, frequencies, mineralization, moisture, ground movement, temperatures, etc., etc., etc. Then, there's the physical aspects, like one's own hearing, ability to dig for long periods of time with nothing to show, one's knees, back, etc.

The magnet is a great idea, but, how big a magnet is needed? Then, how does one use it to it's best effect? Tie a rope and drag it thru a gridded off area? Or maybe, hands and knees and crawling around? OR, maybe, just dig the dirt out of a few square feet at a time and sift and pass by the magnet? Similar to a true archeologist? ;)

Now, don't anyone get me wrong. I am actually in favor of doing a true archeological dig if a place turns out to be of exceptional historical significance. But, that's just not me, not now. Nowadays, I'm more into getting a wonderful walk and maybe finding a few exceptional/rare finds.

This field I'm currently working is a special case for me. I'd mentioned before that I'm not a "relic" hunter by nature but that doesn't mean I shouldn't at least broaden my scope of understanding. Especially because the farm fields are an excellent source of that special little coin. You know, the ones we all seek. :) I'm trying to understand why and how these expert relic hunters do so well out there! AND...by coming here, I AM beginning to see! I may not ever get as good but, if I even increase a bit, I'll be happy.

Let me use your 1/4 cent just as an example. You describe a rather long piece of work getting to it, what with the stove and then the nails and then the actual find. The coolness factor of the find might outweigh the amount of work needed to get it but I don't think I'd want to spend that much time digging and for what? A 1/4 of a large cent? LOL (Maybe.....if it was a doubloon I'd think differently? :dontknow: )

Let me also, finish with this final thought. If, (as in the article that OutdoorAdv alluded to), a single staple can mask out a silver dime. What would be the effect of a hundred or so years of hunter's shotgun bb's scattered all over the fields?

Anyone want to pick all those out first? ;) LOL

This is not directed at just you, Driftwood. You just happen to be the one who caused me to start thinking. ALWAYS a BIG mistake! LOL

Thanks for your kind response!

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally get it. Just strolling along in a pleasant neck of the woods on an old stone wall lined road... but I guess that when I detect old home sites, it becomes a matter of learning whatever I can about the folks who called that place 'home' and that means even the iron relics are meaningful. The hand-forged gate or barn door hinges, oxen shoes, ax heads, etc. are as good as the 'bling' that most folks call treasure. Most of the places in my area were fairly (very) poor 'renters'... farming stony ground and stuck in a lop-sided contract to eek out whatever wheat, lumber, etc. they could... only to be forced to travel 80 miles in order to give half of it away. To find a cut quarter of a large cent tells a story of a frugal man, a poor family, hired help maybe... and if I were to later find a three-cent coin or half dime, that would be substantial. I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of the hobby... for me, it is to connect to the area around my home, find out who lived there and save some of their lost possessions to be recorded and preserved for future generations. I'll put in the dirty 'work' for now, as I am still at a place where I actually enjoy it. But, if I happen upon a buried bucket of gold coins, I won't be upset!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Deft Tones,"iron is worthless anyway". Some of the iron I pull from the ground is a lot more valuable then coins found while detecting.:thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Far from hunted out. More like just getting started. After the iron is out, then the goodies start to come out.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a lot of work clearing the iron, but its also the most fun I've ever had detecting. Its the reality of being a successful relic hunter and never once does it feel like "work" just because it's a lot of work. I've had days sifting where I move 10 tons of dirt (or more), removing the iron with my magnet and taking home 50 buttons in one trip, cut Spanish silver, multiple coppers, multiple cufflinks... etc and I have so much fun doing it, that I don't realize until I'm done that my body is physically exhausted. So while its a lot of work, its not "work" because its the most fun a relic hunter can have.

Then there's the countless iron artifacts I've dug that are, in many cases, nicer than most of my non-ferrous. Examples of some keeper iron I've dug - War of 1812 bayonet, Revolutionary War Brown Bess Bayonet, bone handled forks, complete colonial stirrups, flat irons, rose head nails, colonial scissors, strap hinges and many many more. I might have to dig 100+ pieces of junk iron to get a piece of "keeper iron", but its MORE than work it when some of the best stuff is iron.

Then there's the pottery reconstructions. Painstakingly saving shards, sorting and matching them. I've reconstructed many 1700's to early 1800's hand painted bowls, plates and cups. They are some of my absolute favorite pieces and thinking of a colonial settler eating and drinking off of them is what its all about.

That's relic hunting! Yeah, its a TON of work, but its never "work". I'd gladly dig 50lbs of iron for a 1/4 cut copper just because of the story that coin tells and the history of where it was dug. There's no easy way to tackle the task except to get your hands dirty. You can walk a site and only dig nice targets before moving on to greener pastures, but I can guarantee you only scratched the surface.... and that's where I come in... I LOVE sites people did that at and I've dug some of my best stuff from places that people just dug easy stuff. I'm willing to hike\paddle\climb many miles to a site, dig 50 lbs of iron for a couple keepers, then pack all that iron out of there and still have the most fun ever and get great exercise.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for me depending where I'm at I dig everything. Old home/Barn site I dig everything looking for the old relics, Coins Ect. But a park then I'll stick to coin/Ring shooting.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't agree more!

I've posted this link many times before and hopefully some people have taken the time to read it. This is a great experiment (although many years ago) that was done on iron masking. The results were that with VLF technology we leave behind more than we take.

Behind the mask experiment

So when a site goes quiet for us, we've only scratch the surface. People may argue that technology is better today, and it is, but its physically impossible for VLF waves to pass through iron and see a target. The reality for the relic hunter is that you have to remove the iron... then there's silent masking where the iron is too small for the detector to pickup, but still masks targets under it. I've had a blast the last two years absolutely pounding on a site and about 50% (or more) of what I found was masked in the iron patch... the way I got to it, was systematically remove the dirt in sections, sterilize the soil with a 405lb neodymium magnet, and then be astounded at what was masked. Not saying every site is worth this effort, but if you have a site that's producing the old stuff, its worth testing out.

I agree with you two, (and everybody else) I wasted allot of time looking for that virgin site, only to find out that there is so much hiding in iron. Of course my Deus helped me discover that. Also in the water at my one lake where all my water hunting took off I found so much more by going after those iron targets ( plus all the members seen all those nails and trash I was putting on my float, got me more piers to do) I also found that my realistic depth was not as deep as I thought. So in the fields I know after each season (especially if they "turn" the soil) I'll find much more. Some of my fields would take me years to clear all signals, so I just keep hunting in between.
Nice hunt WIF

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......<snip>......
That's relic hunting! Yeah, its a TON of work, but its never "work". I'd gladly dig 50lbs of iron for a 1/4 cut copper just because of the story that coin tells and the history of where it was dug. There's no easy way to tackle the task except to get your hands dirty. You can walk a site and only dig nice targets before moving on to greener pastures, but I can guarantee you only scratched the surface.... and that's where I come in... I LOVE sites people did that at and I've dug some of my best stuff from places that people just dug easy stuff. I'm willing to hike\paddle\climb many miles to a site, dig 50 lbs of iron for a couple keepers, then pack all that iron out of there and still have the most fun ever and get great exercise.

You sound just like I did. WAAAAAY back when I started by getting in the water. Anyone who has actually tried water hunting in the severe surf knows that one absolutely HAS to be in shape! Just to stay standing up!! LOL BUT, I did it all and dug EVERYthing! With forces on my young person that would kill me nowadays! LOL Trouble was, I was driven by a gold fever back then. I knew it and I didn't care. In order to find those elusive gold rings, one had to dig ANYthing that beeped! Didn't matter that you couldn't even see the bottom! :)

I know what you mean about it being work, but not "work". It's what I refer to as a labour of love. And, yes, it truly is dependent on one's own reasons for digging. Be it history, riches or exercise, it's supposed to be fun. I can appreciate wonderful old bone handled utensil as much as a beautiful old coin. They both will bring a smile to my face. It's just that I'm beginning to realize that the number of holes I have left in me to dig are getting fewer and fewer. So, I don't concentrate on the iron as much as I once did. I note it, and will dig it when the mood strikes me. But, for me to dig every signal, anymore, is just something I can't do. Not and keep it from becoming too much for me.

On the bright side, at least you know that when I'm "done" with a spot, you'll have PLENTY to keep yourself entertained for a long time! That seems the best of both worlds to me. I enjoyed myself AND left a legacy yet to be discovered by the younger generation of seekers. There won't be much but there will be something. I do NOT just skim an area looking for gold. (not anymore LOL ) Just look at how TINY that lil pin is I found! It proved to be my favorite find of the day! I listen VERY, VERY closely when I "walk". I suspect, closer than most. That alone slows me down but I also, sometimes, skip iron signals. At least initially. After all, I paid very good money to purchase what I feel is one of the best discriminating machines out there. Seems a shame not to use the technology, once in a while.

Dig ALL signals? Naw, not in the cards for me anymore, as a rule anyway. Especially with about a hundred years of shotgun pellets spread out over just about ANY field you can name.

Thanks for the considered response and I'll let you know as soon as I move on. ;)

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Deft Tones,"iron is worthless anyway". Some of the iron I pull from the ground is a lot more valuable then coins found while detecting.:thumbsup:

I know. I've even said that before: There is iron in the ground worth far more than buttons and bullets.

Don't be sorry, I should have added a :tongue3:, or :laughing7: at the conclusion of that paragraph.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All in a single hunt? Not even close to hunted out. Great finds. Congrats!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they didn't clean up " well ", but finding that many flat buttons and especially that many with intact shanks would make me beam with joy!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks very promising to me, as long as there are signals to dig it's not hunted out! This looks far from it

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learn a lot about my machine in different scenarios. That's another reason why i keep going back to my iron patch to try diff set ups to see what works.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they didn't clean up " well ", but finding that many flat buttons and especially that many with intact shanks would make me beam with joy!
Oh, I realize how special that is, just a bit frustrating finding things that can't be read.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread