i.d on silver coins please ?

ott

Jan 30, 2013
stoke on trent
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please could anyone identify these two finds I came across, the one to the right has definitely been stamped and both ends are bent upwards (love token)measures approx. 20mm.
The first one measures approx. 17mm shows two shield one with Irish Harp and the other George Cross. hole drilled also.

Any help and id would be much appreciated and if I can get a better photo of the second one I shall add to this post.

Attachments

• silver 1.jpg
    silver 1.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 126
  • silver 2.jpg
    silver 2.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 5

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum - State Museum of Archaeology

If I am understanding it correctly, there are both Pence and 2 Pence coins that appear like the holed coin. A Roman Numeral 1 or 2 above the double shield designates value. Pretty sure some of the guys who know English coins can confirm or correct that. Nice find!

EDIT:Alright, found my Krause. There were also larger denomination coins in this style, but yours appears to be one of the smaller issues. Undated (1649-60), Commonwealth Era.

Last edited:

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the right is a Charles II made into a love token I believe. Late 17th century I think. I have seen many of them found and that is what I was told they were. Very cool!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
William III Sixpence (Love Token)

Commonwealth Halfgroat (1649-60) It was common to hole them in this period, I have more holed than not. A few theories why, but the re-coinage at the end of the 17th C, normally should have the hole that the Mint made through the middle.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the right is a Charles II made into a love token I believe. Late 17th century I think. I have seen many of them found and that is what I was told they were. Very cool!
It very rare to get a Charles II, most are Will III.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread