I didnt know this could happen to old silver.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know this could happen to old silver.

I hunted an old junky spot today in two tone ferrous mode. I heard a high tone and thought I'd investigate. At first I thought it was a bent modern dime... but once I got back to the car, I noticed it was an 1871 Canadian dime with a strange corrosion.

I've never seen silver do this before. Perhaps because it was bent? Damn, I wish she was in good shape...

DSCF0379.jpg

DSCF0380.jpg

DSCF0381.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, that makes sense considering I was in an area where there was a "great fire" in 1877. :occasion14: Thanks for the information guys.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled a seated dime out a couple of months ago that looked just like yours. It was so crusty and brown I thought it was a corroded penny. Give it a good long soak in lemon juice and the crud should fall off.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, thanks Susan.

I also came across this info for silver that's been in a fire.

Use the aluminum-soda-salt-water method as an alternative or supplementary way to remove tarnish gently. Fill an old aluminum pot (or a stainless steel pot loosely lined with a sheet of aluminum foil) with boiling water and submerge our silver in the water. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup baking soda (some people add 1 to 2 tbsp. salt, although the Society of American Silversmiths warns that salt can be very corrosive to silver). Let the soda froth completely. Drain the water and remove your silver. You should notice some lessening of tarnish. Again, be prepared to repeat the process several times to remove very heavy tarnish. This old kitchen-chemistry solution works well on ornate pieces because it lessens the rubbing needed to remove tarnish. Do not put old silver table knives into the solution because heat may damage the joints between the handle and the blade.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll give those cleaning methods a shot after work, ticm, and I'll keep you posted. :occasion14:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, fire damage for sure. The fire didn't even really have to be significantly hot (like a house fire for example). I've found fire damaged coins in similar condition in places where people burned their household trash. (small, short-lived fire)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gunrunner61

Silver Member